Please Help ID

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

I am going out of my mind,
I have been all over the internet trying to ID this awesome plant.
It has been blooming now for over a month!! It seems to be some sort of Caudiciform Pelargonium but all of the examples I come across have the wrong leaves - this one has 1 1/2 in. narrow leaves spaced out all along the long spiny branches sometimes in pairs, sometimes around the branch in loose groups. The flowers are a great light pink pelargonium style with a darker pink throat on two petals. I've tried to get a good overall picture but the window / lighting is not ideal. If someone out there has an idea and needs a better shot I will do my best to provide!! I'm one of those that has to label everything so someone SAVE ME!

Thumbnail by quirkycollector
Craryville, NY

Does it have spines or thorny looking things? If so, I think it is a "Boogum Tree", Idria columnaris.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Collector,

You need to get a closer shot of the branches and tips - flowers too.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Post this on the caudiciform forum. Thay can probably ID it!

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry I took so long, had a problem getting pics off my camera!! I hope this helps...

Thumbnail by quirkycollector
Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I love your plant! It looks like something from another planet, or maybe a Dr. Seuss book! Where did you find it?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I thought this was already ID'd as an adenium...it does look like one of the newer hybrid Adenium obesum.

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Your plant is a Pachypodium succulentum - Adenium don't have spines!
Maddy

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Does it have spikes, or thorns?Adenium's do not
it sure looks like my Adenium Rose

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

It's a very nice plant, but I suggest you think about improving its appearance by removing all the wayward branching coming off the caudex (prune flush to the caudex, please). The caudex is very nice and should be the focal point of this plant. All that branching is distracting and confuses the eye, drawing it away from the caudex. Cleaning up (removing) the short stump sticking up above the whorl of branches above the caudex, and shortening the remaining branches considerably will markedly add it it's appeal, too. You needn't worry, the plant will tolerate this w/o even missing a beat. It looks like it wants more light, too (outdoors until several nights in a row will be under 55*?) . I would love to be the owner of this plant. ;o)

Al

(Zone 1)

I realize this is an older thread from back in May and quirkycollector may not even be watching it any longer, but I agree with maddy about the identification. If this plant has thorns it is not an Adenium but rather Pachypodium succulentum: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64020/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.