2009 Blooms II

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

How's about a new thread since the other was getting quite long!

Here is the previous thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/975943/

This message was edited May 18, 2009 9:07 PM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Came home to find this in bloom today - it is huge and fragrant

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another shot of the same type...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My first trumpet...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I got this from Buggy I think - my first pendant I've ever purchased ^_^

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I like that melon colored one :-))

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's an orange one...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Steve- Are your orange ones named? My orange ones were just a bunch of no named mixed colors and some were orange and some were yellow.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Rita - it is VERY fragrant too!

Here is my first yellow LA - "Dazzle"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

They were all named when I got them but I always forget to tag anything and so I don't know what the names are! I do keep a tracking spreadsheet...let me look.

Here are some reds opening up....

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

what a pretty girl rufus female have not been able to get a RT female yet

Thumbnail by scicciarella

Thats what I have here in my garden. Ruby Throat females. Males only early in spring during migration.

Steve- I like the mixed color combos planted like that. Before this year when I did mark most of my fancy new lily bulbs, everything here was just mixed up lily combos.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Steve, what a lovely greeting after your trip! Have you warmed up yet after being in Iowa?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Good lord, it was still nippy today for most of it... Finally we might thaw out.. Steve, I hope you had an uneventful drive home and everything went well? :)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Rita -I think you are a much more organized planter than I am :-)

Howdy Moby, Ticker - yes the drive home was completely uneventful, thankfully and I got to the house at about 6:15 pm or so. Was about 77 degrees here when I got home and sunny so just about perfect. I actually kind of likedthe weather up in IA - was beautiful the day of the RU itself if not a little windy and Galena's weather was wonderful, just about perfect.

Yes, coming home to a bunch of newly blooming lilies is wonderful :-) And David had the yard mowed (well the front at least) and he finished my new hosta bed so I am excited about that. I will try to drag him up to next year's RU so you all can meet him ^_^ He is a great guy.

Well even if we didn't all get to meet up at the round-up, it was wondefrul seeing you both this year and I am already looking forward to next year! You are both such fun and now we need you both in the same place!

I hear you all have someheat coming - then you'll be wishing for the cold again - or maybe not!

Steve

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Blooming today, (L.A.) Hybrid Lily 'South Pacific'

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That is very pretty, bama :-)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound. It was so much fun to get together with you, Tracey (Magnolialover) and her precious little girl, Daria, LeAnn (PatsMuse), Donna (DonnaMack) and her sweet husband John. I wish we could have all sat and talked all afternoon into the evening, but I know that just wasn't possible. It was a good time with good friends. I tell you, I've met the best people on here and they have turned into some really fantastic friends. :)

Diann

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

What a great surprise to come home to some more lilies in bloom Steve. Isn't it strange when you are gone for a few days how far things come along when you get home? Love those lilies you posted. I can almost smell that trumpet!

So happy you made it home safely Steve. And it was great visiting with friends both old and new. The best gift of all is great garden friends. Thank you all for that. Moby I did miss you though. Next time though.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Is that Buggy one 'White Bi-Color Henry'? It's a cutie.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Well the melon was is "Swansea" - an LA and nicely fragrant. The orange one I still do not hve a name for.

Tracey, I have "Henryii" on my sheet - you are so smart - that is probably it!! I have it listed as a species.

This is LA "Brindisi"

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

One more, LA "Rodin" - all of these LA's are quite tall and impressive this year...4 feetish.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And LA "Algarve" getting ready to pop

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I know this isn't a lily but this returned from last year and I was really impressed with the huge flowers when I got home yesterday

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah Stevie, your lilies, as usual, are just wonderful. :) That Cala Lily is lovely. :)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Steve, I LOVE that henryii bicolor! Great show you've got going. Awesome that you've got a fragrant LA hybrid too! Do you recall the name of that one?

No blooms here yet, which isn't unusual, as they typically start in June here. But I don't ever recall having Lilies as tall this early in the season as this year- Yelloween is well over 5' tall, African Queen is about 6', and several others look extra big. I noticed a faciated OT yesterday, I think its Red Hot- that should be interesting to watch!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a dwarf lilium, box-store's special from years past. Steve, your spring garden is spectacular! My calla lily doesn't do well here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've noticed that too, Neal ~ some really tall stems already. Though it's not strong, LA Cecil has a very sweet fragrance.

Steve, your calla is lovely.

Tomah, WI

Steve, That pendant lily is gorgeous! Did you have to stand on your head to get that shot? LOL

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I never started out loving those pendant or recurved lilies, but I tell you, they add a certain grace to the garden that just can't be beat. Beautiful! Beautiful! Keep them coming...please.....

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments ^_^

Neal, If you are referring to the melon one it is "Swansea". I got it and most of the other LA's except Algarve from B&D a couple years ago. they have all gotten HUGE. And every LA I sniff-tested is fragrant! I guess that stands to reason due to the bloodlines. I think LA's are now my favorite lilies- well at least until the OT's bloom, LOL. And the LA's have HUGE flowers and are tall - I have two Swansea stalks that are about five feet tall.

Moby, I want to see your "Cecil" when it blooms. I might have to get that one too! :-)

mattsmom, yes I had to get on the ground and look up LOL - how could you tell?

Lily, you should try again with Callas - what do they do? I have had pretty good luck with them returning. Do yours flower at all?

Here is LA "Algarve" - kinda similar to Brindisi in coloring but a much more even pink and doesn't fade as much.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Tamburo getting close

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

This one is not labeled but is nicely fragrant.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Swansea needs an encore - even in our sun there is no fading on this one and that is really unusual with a peach colored bloom. Was only about 79 here today though - how hot did you all get up north?

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Even sideways I love it. Such a pretty soft color but still with plenty of punch.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

87° today! How about a pic of last year's Cecil?

Thumbnail by Moby
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

im in ottawa canada and it was 70F and windy today

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Moby, that is wonderful - I can see the classic LA shap though I have never seen that kind of coloring in an LA - is it fragrant too?

LOL Rita it was "portrait" on my screen so not sure what happened there.

Scicciarella I wonder how you escaped the heatwave the Midwesterners have had to deal with. I wonder how we escaped it for that matter.

Oops Moby I saw you already said it was fragrant up above. I don't have a very good attention span :-)

This message was edited May 19, 2009 11:34 PM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Look what came to make a delivery while I was in IA - new beds on the way!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oooh, now I really am jealous Steve!!! LOL You need a bobcat to move that stuff around. I'm still weeding....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.