My roses started to bloom today!

Santa Fe, NM

They're starting! This year I have aphids more than usual plus some freeze damage so not as good as last year. But still fine! Who opened first? Dr. Huey, south wall. Next was Sunsprite, west side front yard! So far, so good. The Doctor Huey.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And Sunsprite! The rest of the crew are close behind. It is cloudy and cooler today so it might slow them down a bit.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Just saw that it is supposed to go down to 39 tonight. So, the 2009 roses may be done before they really start. What a year.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I was envying your beauties until I saw your weather report. Hope they are really wrong.

Was supposed to be 42 degrees for the low last night and it was 22 degrees when I got up. We were leaving at 6:30 a.m. for the opening fishing day for the upper Madison River here. But I had to have the hoop house fully opened as it was to be 74 degrees before I got back home.

I cannot tell you how much I hate the idea of opening all the windows and doors on the hoophouse with my tomato plants inside when I have frost on the windows! But I left the heater on the tomatoes, so it worked out and the sun rapidly warmed things up.

But roses, I love roses and do not attempt them due to the deer and the climate.

Santa Fe, NM

The weather reports and the Real weather can drive a person crazy! It did get chilly, but more like 40, which had no effect on the roses. It is about 72 here today for a high. Probably 40ish tonight. I'm glad your hoop house plants are o.k. It is a very strange garden year so far. Dr. Huey today.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Penelope is now starting to bloom. Hybrid musk from the 30"s. Great scent.

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful roses and beatuiful pics! I haven't even started a rose garden here yet, but we will... both DH and I love roses and had about 50 or so back in AZ. Right now, though, I'm living vicariously through you!

Reno, NV

I love the Penelope ! So pretty

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How prettiful roybird!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely roses, roybird! Dr. Huey is very nice -- and now you have another most likely -- from rootstock.
Here are the roses I bought at the DBG sale -- Fourth of July, a climber, Queen Elizabeth, a hybrid tea, Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Wenlock( another David Austin I think) and Reischt or some such -- that is the collectors item.

Tess bloomed in its pot -- very lovely. Fourth of July had a few blooms as well. Will try to get a picture. BTW, your friends at Las Cosas gave a $50 gift certificate for an award at the Iris Show tomorrow. Very nice of them. And they are talking about putting all their artificial irises on sale -- for those who don't grow irises. I thought that was clever. They actually have some very realistic looking artificial irises. What nice people!

Santa Fe, NM

They are nice. Kevin's poker buddy, Mike. One of the Mikes! I hope to get by the iris show tomorrow. I have classes all morning and friends coming for dinner tomorrow night. Our computer is starting to have problems and I need to get my photos on to the other hard drive. So we are in the market for a computer anyway. Another Mac. Good Luck at the show! Here, not much rain but cold and windy! Hollyhocks on a south facing wall at the railyard.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful hollyhocks, roybird. That picture tugs at my heartstrings. Why do hollyhocks speak so much of a peaceful home? Mine are only 1 to 2 ft. high right now and are no where near blooming. But they will eventually.
Ghanks for coming by the show. It was really nice to see a familiar face. Sorry about your computer's ill health. One of mine got struck by lightening once -- while I was using it. It was traumatic for me, not to mention the computer. It never worked well again. Yes, it had one of those surge protectors. Now we have an Uninterruptible Power Supply. Nuf' said.
I am so happy to be home tonight! My feet are killing me.
But it was a great day for the club and I can now relax until Aug. 1 when we have our rhizome sale. Did meet some very nice people with an interest in iris today.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds like a very successful iris show, Paj! Congrats!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It was a very successful show. The people who came were awed by the beauty of the iris displayed and so was I . I saw iris in bloom that I had never seen before and some were must haves for me. ( Now I must have some more space!) And I learned the name of one that I have admired and the owner didn't know the name. Another must have. Now that I know its name I can order it. Only about half of my iris have opened their blooms. I will post more as they come along.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.