Garden Pics: April shows brought these May flowers #5!!!

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

thread for just about anything that is going on in your garden, or whatever plants you felt like taking pictures of!! I hope that everyone joins in from anywhere, since we're all Northwest of somewhere!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985936/

Thumbnail by redchic01

Rj.... Here's a pic of my two Toona trees. I don't like to show this part of the yard since it's under cronstruction and full of stuff and weeds :-(

They're are catching just a glimpse of the morning light!

Thumbnail by redchic01

I really considered pruning these two to be a little bushier on the bottom, but then I decided not to think that they'd get to wide to quickly. I was wrong. I should've pruned these to a little longer first.

here they are a little back lit about an hour later.

Thumbnail by redchic01

another pic

Thumbnail by redchic01

and the last.

Thumbnail by redchic01
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Beautiful rhodies!

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Porter and I made a discovery today....Spiders like Red Rhodies.....

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

And the Bees like the Pink ones.....

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

not a single Bee on the Red Rhodies??? I also never knew that Rhubarb Bloomed???

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Welcome back, Trisha. We've missed you.

My sis is her from NY this week....we take her up to the airport tonight so maybe I will get back to a normal routine now......and she's taking the rain with her so it looks like we will have a nice weekend (and She needs the rain!!)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Well my thanks to your sister. :-) I hope you all had a nice visit. And I hope they get more rain.

I told her she is welcome to take it and keep it for a bit...we would like a break.....

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Candytuft? I've seen it in so many places this year, volunteering, it seems, rather than in formal settings.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Redchic, Love the new title! Am thinking that you will probably have to be doing a new thread every couple of days as the world really starts waking up around here! Thank you for giving the name of the cool tree! I was going to ask you the next time I posted because I am in love! Will definitely have to find a place for that color accent against the greens. And you shouldn't be afraid of sharing that part of your garden...we all understand work in progress, and it looks beautiful to me! Oh, one more thing...I have delphinium envy!

Beahive, What a wonderful garden walk you had! Looks like you saw some beautiful things. Haven't had a chance to check out the peonies yet, but definitely plan on it! Fantastica was stunning...love the clear pink color. Also really liked Irene Kostner...looks like it was an exbury? If so, it must have smelled wonderfull as well as being so gorgeous! The living wall is really cool..I can just imagine what it will look like in a month or so!

Trisha, Nice pic, especially the bee! Tell you Sis thanks for taking the rain...I am really ready to be rid of it for a day or two. Always nice to send it off to somewhere that it would be welcomed.

Not much new in the yard over the last week. Things have been creeping out very slowly due to the cold rainy weather. I have enjoyed admiring the foilage plants while waiting for the blooms to come.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

We have lived here about ten years and it has never looked very good, but it is out front so we don't have a lot of control over whether it stays or goes....but it is looking really good this year......And in my back yard Forget Me Nots have just Appeared....no idea where they came from.....

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

And although I am often at odds with sword ferns (my fault, left them in the garden when they were "cute little things"), I love seeing the new growth come up.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

That is pretty Julie.....my Huchera (sp) is coming along...at least the darker ones.....I thought I had lost the Caramel but there are two tiny leaves coming back....we will wait and see....

Thumbnail by zhinusmom
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Is that Plum Pudding? That one seems to do very well in these parts.

Julie - I whacked back about 50 sword ferns this spring and was please with the results. It was a lot of effort, but it's easier to appreciate the new growth without all those winter-beaten old leaves taking up garden space. I think I'll just make that part of my regular garden pruning practice. They are just too big for me to have so many.

I'm not sure what that one is, or this one.....they came to me with no I.D.

Thumbnail by zhinusmom

Well.... whatever it is Trishia, it's pretty!

RJ.... pretty forget me nots!!! I agree completely about the sword ferns. Definitely cute, when little! THanks for understanding my work in progress. I'll never tell how long it's been "in progress though!! Yeah, I hope to keep up with this pace in threads. It's great, I love to see all that everyone has to share. Hopefully I wont mispell anything in the next title!! Those trees do very well in narrow spaces as they're naturally columnar in habit. But, they do great in wider spaces to with lots of room to plant neat stuff beneath!!

Eugene, OR

rc.....your work in progress is a lot neater than mine! LOL Love the toona tree, good thing I don't have room for any more trees.

Nice pics Trisha, I didn't know rhubarb bloomed either. Really interesting looking isn't it? Things are popping out all over and we're probably going to be complaining about the heat before long.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Shelly - I mean to make the same comment as Sally. If that's WIP then I can't imagine what complete must look like!!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

RC, thanks also for the new thread. I think you will be doing a lot of brainstorming to come up with names now that things are finally coming into their own.

Trisha, glad to see your additions to the thread. That one hechura is very nice and resembles one I acquired from Dragonfly early this spring. I have been meaning to send this pic to Heidi in hopes that she will identify it as it didn't have a tag and was more expensive than most.

Yes, rhubarb does bloom. I have two varieties and the one always blooms right about the time that the stalks are ready for use, and the other one does not. I always cut the blooms off as I remember somewhere in the past hearing that the plant's energy should be directed to stalks instead.

This message was edited May 15, 2009 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sharon - looks like it might be a Heucherella. Did you try asking on the Heuchera forum?

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kathy. Now that I can see how to spell heuchera I will give it a try. Don't quite know when, however, as keeping up with the forums I am watching is hard enough and the weather forecast is FINALLY good. I am so far behind in the yard I know where all of my energies will go this weekend.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

And won't it be fun!! I'm going to do the same.

Sharron.... pretty Huecherella! I love that color.

Thanks all..... but really, I've have areas right now that are far more weeds than plants by a longshot! The area with the Toona trees is at least one that's getting worked on some. The others, well...........

Complete isn't fancy: just weed free with the right plants in the right places!

Thumbnail by redchic01

rhody.

Thumbnail by redchic01

pulmonaria

Thumbnail by redchic01
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

red.. I see the anemones are still keeping you entertained. They are just fantastic. Every time I see a new one pop up I still get little goose bumps . Just love them! I spotted some white one's in bloom that were hiding near my shed. Once the sun moves off of them, I will try to get a nice shot. They look pretty too! Beautiful Rhodie!
78 degs here. It is beautiful day..but actually getting a little to hot to work in the sun for me. Get dizzy..
so it will be the rest of this afternoon in the shade potting up some things I found at the nursery today.

Here is another lewisa I found called Howellii. It is very pretty!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Well darn. We get nice weather and I start to work and drop a very large chunk of wood on my big toe. It was fine until I sat down for lunch for about an hour, then I couldn't walk on it. Was planning on getting the front cleaned up this weekend. ^_^

Oh I love that lewisia, very pretty

This message was edited May 16, 2009 3:58 PM

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh No! How aweful. Better relax with an ice pack on your tootsie! And keep it elevated. Have a good gardening book to read? What a drag! Wish I was closer, I would come & help in the garden.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You are very sweet! I am icing it because my mother told me if I didn't she wouldn't do anything I wanted her to do. At 91 she is very stubborn and I can't take any chances.

Redchic, Beautiful blooms! There is a garden that stays weed free for more than one day? Not in my yard! I thought I was kind of ahead of things earlier as I managed to get the first major round of garden cleanup done by the end of April. The plants are just poking along, but the weeds have taken over every garden I had cleaned up. :{ So I have been looking into your Toona tree...do you recall where you picked yours up? I can find nothing mail-order, and we don't have many nurserys in this area that specialize in trees and shrubs. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Bea, You would think that we are never happy, wouldn't you? Too cold to work in the yard, too wet to work in the yard, too hot to work in the yard..... My job for the day was putting new planter boxes on my front deck, and then dragging my pots out of the greenhouse for the summer. All is in the hottest part of the yard. Thought I was going to keel over, but funny thing is that I am ready to do it all over again tomorrow! Love your lewesia!

Willow, You poor thing! Hope the ice and a good night's rest puts you back in shape for your cleanup tomorrow!

Worked too hard to have the energy to post pics today...will have to wait until tomorrow! Hope everyone has a chance to enjoy the sun tomorrow!

Eugene, OR

Kathy…..yes it was fun. I’ll probably pay for it tomorrow. Finally put my tomatoes in and planted the hanging tomato thingy.

rc….pretty pics, love the blue.

WOW Bea….beautiful color!!

Willow…..OUCH!! Like Bea says elevate and ice. Listen to Mom. Mine just turned 95 and still gives me good advice.

I finally took some pictures today. I stopped to drink some water and was watching this spin, wondered if I could catch in sparkle. Not too bad.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

Osteospermum Astra Pink Spoon...how's that for a mouthful? I put this in my topsy turvy planter.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

Things are busting out all over!! Still needs work, but it's getting there, some things too much so!

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

Iris are doing well!

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

Sally, Gorgeous pics! Your iris are lovely, as is your garden! I finally have some iris showing buds...those that the slugs haven't carved off. Looks like you are going to have a spectacular show!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.