TB Iris That Nobody Wanted Bed !!!

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

A couple of years ago I tried in vain with family, friends and neighbors to give away extra rhizones I had acquired from old fashioned tall bearded iris. Nobody wanted any...since they were the old fashioned variety.

Today I sent them all an email with this pic entitled...."The TB Iris That Nobody Wanted Bed... is blooming"
....(I've gotten replies with six request for some of those iris!!!!!)

This message was edited May 13, 2009 7:40 AM

Thumbnail by grannyh
Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Those are lovely how could anyone NOt want them!!! .......sharon

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So are you going to give in and let them have them now, those slackers, LOL.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

That is really beautiful. Bet they are sorry they didn't take some then.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm...I wonder how fast I can sneak up there and grab a few without you noticing!! ; )

I bet they smell wonderful!! What a find!

Dana

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Oh I would have taken some they are beautiful and I'm know as the one to give unwanted or little rhyzomes to in our iris society. I cant stand for the ladies to throw any of them away so I take them and give them away or give them a home. If you ever dig again and need a place to send them let me know I'll send postage. Susan

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Rough pic to id them with but looks like Lent A Williamson TB that goes back to around 1918.

I will look up mine and you can see if they match.

This message was edited May 13, 2009 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by Mainer
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Mainer~ That looks petty close to me as to what they look like up close. I'll get an upclose shot tomorrow to post on here for you to take a look at. That would be great to finally have a name to go with them......1918.....WOW!!

Hi susan~From the looks of them it won't be too long again before I have to lift them again as they seem to multiply rather fast!! I'll send you a d-mail when I'm digging again!

emeraldsgarden~you are so right!!...they do smell heavenly....it's like a perfumed garden over there by that bed!!

Polly~yes....I probably will....but I'll remind them not to be so hasty with their "no thank you's" the next time I offer them free flowers!!....LOL!!

This message was edited May 13, 2009 11:08 PM

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Oh Thank You so much iris are about the only flower that will survive in my bad soil and hot dry weather. Susan

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

definitely looks like a catalog picture! :0)
lovely

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful!! Maybe that photo will make your family, friends and neighbors will think twice now!!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have those, too. They smell wonderful and are very hardy. One of the first to bloom. Nice pictures.

grannyh

When you split them - I would love to be able to get a couple. I would trade or pay for shipping!! If you come across any other TBI that need a home - let me know. Again, that was a wonderful find!! I keep eyeing our courthouse b/c they have some older TBI in the garden and they are so crowded. I was wondering if they would let me take a few.

Dana

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Dana~ I'll d-mail you also when it's time to divide them! I love the old-fashioned Iris...they are so easy to grow and smell divine!! I have the newer hybrids also, like everyone else nowadays, but I would never be without the old-fashioned ones. I have some old-fashions that are all a light lilac color and some that are a light blue with white beards and they all smell so sweet!!

They just remind me so of long-ago days and long lazy summers...strawberry picking... and evenings on the porch with homemade ice cream....hollyhocks and larkspur...hide and go seek...and....mother may I......sigh!!....now those were summers in my growing up years!!!

I think the same thoughts came to mind when some of my family members saw the picture I sent of those Iris blooming so gloriously!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I love the old fashioned ones. They have such a special scent. I wish that I had some from my grandmother's garden. She had some that were dark purple on the bottom and white on top and had a scent that I haven[t been able to find in an iris, yet.

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

wow those are beautiful.. Im new with iris but am eyeing a few over filled beds at buisnesses.. lol I think I will offer to clean up for them and see what they say.. Its an old gas station in an industry side of town and the iris are a beautiful mauve color..

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is an upclose shot of them .......what do you think?...looks like they could be Lent A Williamson to me!

Thumbnail by grannyh
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

looks like it is definitely a strong possibility!!

Now you are going to have more requests for these than you ever wanted. I am so glad to see your historics being preserved :0)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

They are good lookers. I took some as a gift from a friend some ten years ago and they grew and multiplied in places that several newfangled ones perished. I'm glad you've found willing takers. It's got to be one of the joys of gardening.

Sealy, TX

Hi, grannyh - those are beautiful! Add me to your d-mail list if you would! Down here where I live the iris is a great wonder! I've lifted a bed of what I believe to be iris and seperated them and replanted - there were at least 500 bulbs, all intertwined and stacked 3 and 4 high! This is an old homesite where 3 houses have been (including the one I'm in now) and it amazes me when I discover "blasts from the past!" I have no idea how old these are and they haven't bloomed as of yet, but they were crowded thickly around an old pecan tree - looks like maybe they were planted when the tree was much younger.

Dstarr

When they bloom - please post pics!! I love looking at the old ones - do not get me wrong, the new irises are gorgeous, but the old ones bring back such sweet memories!!

Keeping my fingers crossed they bloom soon!!

Dana

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi dstarr~ You are added to my list!

Here's a few more pics of other old-fashioneds that have opened up in the same bed.

I couldn't agree more about loving the old-fashioned Iris.....nothing can compare to their wonderful scent!!!

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Another old-fashioned noid:

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Wabash

This message was edited May 26, 2009 10:01 AM

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Old-Fashioned Iris

Thumbnail by grannyh

Grannyh

You have a beautiful collection!! I have some that are the older ones and I plant them near my porch. So in the spring you can sit outside and have that wonderful aroma!! You can not beat it!! The scent is the first thing that greets you when you open the front door!! : ) I really like Walbash!!

Sealy, TX

Thanks, grannyh!

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm laughing here! That's a gorgeous bed and that's why my mama taught me to never say no when someone says, "If you want some, let's go dig them up."
Lora B.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

That is definately a show everyone in the neighborhood will envie you for and alot of people will drive by and think " oh I wish that was my garden " I know I would :-) It is LOVELY !

and why is it that alot of gardeners want new.These older varieties are just wonderful .I admired some several years ago in someones garden.
Your list must be getting bigger and bigger but If you're still taking names I would gladly have some for postage and give them a good home.

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

WOW! Those are gorgeous. Who would not want some of those?

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Eglantyne~ I'll add you on!....I'm just so thrilled to see so many gardeners still wanting to grow the old-fashioned varieties! Please go to HIPS website (Historic Iris Preservation Society) and check out their database. It's a great source for identifying unknown old-fashioned iris. I have 5 varieties ordered from HIPS....but you have to be a member to get first picks. It's only $10.00 a year to be a member....and it's money well spent!

DH and I were just commenting this morning out in the garden about how the hybrid Iris that are opening up now are huge and beautiful to look at.....but they either have no scent at all....or smell nothing like the old-fashioned ones that are starting to wrap up their bloom season for this year. But...oh...it has been a glorious year for them!!

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

:;raises hand::

I will take some! I love the old fashioned flowers.......I have foxgloves, hollyhocks, good old fashioned orange daylilies and even some hosta plants that came from plants that were 30 years old when I got them. LOL

I am going to check the HIPS website!

Leah

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi HostaLily!~ I've added you to the list!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Grannyh I will be more than happy to give them a home also... I am new to irises. I planted the first ones last year and I am just in love with them... I got about 100 last year but several didn't make it... I have no old fashioned ones at all... I am impressed!
thanks!

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Grannyh are giving iries away ?? If so I'd love some of them I'm trying to get some historic ones I have irises but lost the tags but they all are beauties ....Thank you sharon

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you sooo much grannyh! They will have good home.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks grannyh,
looking forward to them ,I will definately give them a good home ( we even live in a old home )
I immediately went to HIPS but they must be having trouble,I will try again today.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Kassia and sassygranng~hi!.....I put you both on the list!

You're right, Eglantyne...HIPS seems to be having a little problem with their website page.....here is another site that has Old Fashioned Iris, shows their picture and also gives a description......

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix.html

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you grannyh,
I will go look,it will come in great when my irises which were here will bloom.Maybe I will ID them ?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Love that Wabash!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.