May Brings May Flowers Part 2

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

A new thread as requested - everyone is welcome to join, post your daily weather and whatever!

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982597/

78.4 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 67. South winds 5 mph.

NOID rose at 6:30 this morning

This message was edited May 10, 2009 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you!, still sunny. got 25 Rutgers tomato plants into the earth today. Tomorrow squash & melons.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

25 plants, holey moley!

Sharon, your rose looks like the "7 Sisters" that I have, but it probably could be anything.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on May 10, 2009
78 °F
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 55 °F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

some kind of prickly pear

Thumbnail by Kelli

purple prickly pear

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

"Rainy" season done for a bit. Cool today, high was 62º.
Got some peas & beans planted today. This is 3rd planting of peas & 2nd planting of beans. I try to get the plantings lined up so that when one planting is done producing another is ready.
My son got the rest of the tomatoes in the ground this afternoon. Mostly types of cherry tomatoes. A full row along the side of the 60 ft high tunnel.
Things are really popping in there.

Off to work on the porch tomorrow. Hopefully be done in a couple days.

Bernie

(Zone 7a)

Another "just right" day. Sunny and warm but not hot. Darrell and I went to an aquarium today. Saw some great stuff but the only pics are on my phone.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli is that Purple Opuntia yours or a Trail plant?
If yours ....... I collect Opuntias...... lol!

Well yesterday wasn't really too bad just long. 13 hours long.....
We took some carpet up to Dayton finally.
Tempers are flaring among Sister's and BIL's (me being a BIL...LOL!) .

Everyone's been watching DIY Programs and think they know how to do things.
But it's more like Renovation Realities up there.
So basically we told everyone... mess w/ us and we leave.... for good!
I dropped walls in the Laundry Room and a closet.... gives the place a more 'finished' look.
Robyn painted and helped lay the carpet.

Today we worked in OUR yard till about 2PM.
Beautiful partly cloudy ... perfect gardening weather.
Then went after more carpet and supplies....
we're going back up tomorrow when we can work by ourselves.
1/2 my day will be redoing the 'expert' BIL's work......
Good news is we're about done....
then we will go back to doing Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.... LOL!

Here's one of the 'dropped' walls.... I'll sand and blend the mud tomorrow and prime.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping this week I can get my garden tilled finally and get my tomatoes in. Then buy my melons and other fruit from work so I don't have to mess with seeds. Seeds and I don't get along. LOL

Now dyson dark and cold!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We did find a great deal on plants at Lowe's today.
14 racks of Clearance.... GOOD Clearance.....
Hosta's, Gerber Daisies, Hardy Ferns, 2 different Thornless Blackberries,
Geraniums (80 cents a pot!) everything was 50-75% off and in not too bad shape.
More TLC than Emergency Surgery needed plants.
Just not Great Looking but very well grown and healthy.
We totally filled a cart!

The yard is really responding to all the new sun.
I've never had Iris do this well before.
Clematis are popping everywhere.
Spiderworts and Peonies (or Piney's for those of you in the South) are just opening.

Here's a Mother's Day Bouquet

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

I may have to take a trip to Home Depot in the near future and see if they have a clearance rack. LOL. I need annuals since my seeds won't do anything for me (GRRRR).

Dyson – I know you are looking forward to harvesting your veggies!
Kelli – I’ll have to check out 7 sisters. Thanks for the tip!
Bernie – You are always busy, busy!
Ric – Nothing like family LOL! You did good on the Lowes run!
Pepper – Check at Walmart too. Make friends with the person in the gardening section. “Dave” here always gives me plants for less than the clearance price.

72.1 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 64 °F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 °F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. West winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

It's disgustingly muggy outside. I still have a lot of vine pulling to do. There are blackberries growing under the oleanders. I'm waiting for them to finish producing before I mow over them LOL! They sure are yummy. I want to clear out that area then let it come back on my terms. There is plenty of work to do in this yard.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's windy and raining this morning, 53°F. The wind's blowing from the south now which means that we'll have rain for most of the week while up north and the east will get a heatwave ... they're predicting temps in the 60's and sun up there! I'm jealous! lol

Sharon - wow you have a lot of work to do! Good luck tackling that wine! No small task in that muggy heat!

Sally - thanks :-) Hope you're feeling better! The negotiations have finally ended and we have a new government. It was announced yesterday. Since the election we've been literally bombarded with news about how horrible things are and that the newly elected gov. isn't doing anything/enough to tackle the problem. Well, they'd have to be magicians to make it go away wouldn't they? I'm sooooo sick of this, I can't even tell you. I don't think the situation is weighing too heavily on the girls on a daily basis although they do wonder from time to time. It's a good opportunity to teach them that money doesn't grow on trees .... and that you can't always get what you want ;-) lol They want a trampoline now ....... the past two years of the madness they popped up in every other yard. They're huge and take up a lot of space that could be otherwise used for plants ;-) lol. And needless to say they're imported so they're not exactly cheap! There are three in this street .... they want one too. Sigh. I told them they could go over and play with the kids that have the trampolines. lol

Adina - gorgeous sunset!

Kelli - love those prickly pear flowers!

Ric and Bernie - you are so busy! I wish I could accomplish about a 1/4 of what you guys do in a day! lol Or that my DH would at least ;-) lol

Hi to everyone I haven't mentioned! :-)

Rann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning!! I'm mostly recovered from the fall last weekend - one wrist is still a little sore. Now I'm sore from digging and weeding this weekend! LOL It's a good sore, though. :-)

That's a great prom photo, Joey. Brooke is gorgeous!

The oleanders look MUCH happier to me, too, Sharon!

Rusty, I'm glad you are ok! I'm glad you have a generator, too. They are such a blessing!

Sally, yummmm... rhubarb! I'm glad you're feeling better. Sinus infections can be awful. :-(

The horses are beautiful, Celia! I've heard of them before, but I've never seen them live. I'm sure that was great!

Kelli, it was so disappointing to hear about Manny. I can imagine you feel even worse!

Dyson, yayy! worms! ^_^

Ric, I'm so glad you're almost done with the house. That has to be really stressful on all of you - especially when you have to redo the work that others did wrong. :-/

Rann, I sure hope your new government can pull things together well, although I'm sure it won't be done quickly.

Kiska, yikes about the floods and ice jams! I'm glad the volcano is far enough away not to be causing more trouble around you. It's interesting to hear your reports about it. Right now both of my girls are interested in volcanoes. Saturday was the big bunny's birthday, and we gave her a volcano model kit. She and dh mixed up the plaster and put it in its mold yesterday. Tonight they will paint it. I'll take some photos of it when they are done. :-) It "erupts" with the help of baking soda and vinegar and a bit of food coloring. We'll have to wait for the paint to dry before doing that.

It's going to be hot and muggy, with a chance of rain. I need to go out and water the garden in case it doesn't rain - which of course means it probably will. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (54 min ago)
Temperature 79 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.00 in 1015.9 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir S 170°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Heat Index 84 °F 29 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy late, then partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and heavy rainfall in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I m doing okay at my own house in Joplin but I have another house in Webb City which I try to sell it but I went there yesterday and here's my good tree back yard with old fence so it rip the roots and tree down in my yard so also back of the house roof shingles blew off some of it... I took my phone camera and try to get upload to my computer so it is so terrible to see it....

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Back of the house roof

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

The tree's root is 7 ft. tall and 10 ft. wide!

This message was edited May 11, 2009 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Top of the tree down about 30 ft. to the house very lucky!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

53° and raining again, I think I will need a boat.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Rusty sorry about that south Missouri storm. We lucked out and missed all that bad weather the other day here in the N.W. corner of Missouri. May have to check out Lowe's this week for discounts!! Thanks for the info. Ric. Some plants are getting way to high at some places.
Have a great evening everyone.
Cuckoo

(Zone 7a)

Oh, Rusty! Sorry to see that tree down! But, everyone is okay and so is the house, right?

We have overcast skies but it's still warm. No rain expected. 77º now and a peek at what the summer will be like.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

My Ex- DH and I were repair and fix the roof which is bathroom roof so lucky shingles just blew off so I has some good shingles which I save it for happen so some roof nails and it took about 2 hrs to finish it then I have to let someone who has chain saw to cut for free firewoods! so I have do clean up the branches after it all cut up first... If not then I have my ex do it for me...

Cool and sunny today.

I went out and looked at my compost pile earlier. I had thrown some potato peels in there some time ago and now I have potatoes growing in there. LOL. My compost pile is also my garden that hasn't been tilled yet so now I'm trying to decide what to do with them. LOL

Rusty, glad damage wasn't worse!!

(Zone 3b)

66* Sunny; mostly blue sky~the summer is off to a fantastic start with many days of sunshine and perfect temperatures already.
Again, I'm too far behind for comments; but, thanks, Sharon for the new thread and the beautiful rose blossom.
We took the short drive up to Matanuska Glacier this afternoon. It's only about 60 miles and the good weather was a plus. There were several Mt. Sheep in "Sheep Mt." area and swans on patches of open water. Most lakes have ice and the leaves are not yet open up there. There is a tinge of green so spring is headed there, too.
Sea Gulls on icy lake.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Matanuska Glacier~about 60 miles from Palmer.

Thumbnail by kiska

Rusty, I'm glad you got the house fixed and the tree cleaned. It must be a relief to get that done.

Kiska and Rann, you'll probably think this is funny, but when I was a little kid, I thought that volcanoes only existed in the days of the dinosaurs. When I got a little older, I thought that they were only found in the tropics.

Dyson, I wish I could send you some "dry".

Weather was pretty seasonal today. It started out cloudy and it burned off by mid morning. That's pretty common this time of year.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 7:51 PM PDT on May 11, 2009
65 °F
Clear
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 54 °F
Wind: 9 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

giant bird of paradise - How giant? The flower cluster in the lower third of the picture is higher up than I can reach.

Thumbnail by Kelli

amaryllis of the kind that is not uncommon around here - Yesterday it was innundated by vinca, which I pulled out yesterday. You can see the vinca behind it that I left. The stuff is impossible to eradicate. It even survives in the wild here.

Thumbnail by Kelli

first daylily of the year - It's a minature. I don't know what kind.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

kelli~the flowers are beautiful and the Bird of Paradise is spectacular.
Before coming to Alaska, I too, had no idea that volcanos were a major part of the geology here.
Sunset tonight is at 10:30pm and with the sunny sky now at 8pm, lingering light will make for a very long day.
Road over Hatcher Pass will open later in the season.

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped raining, the sun came out and I got some plants into the ground.

(Zone 3b)

Sounds great, Dyson.

Rann- I could do with the temps being in the 60’s too. I remember us bugging our parents for a trampoline – we never got one LOL!
Marylyn – I missed the post where you fell. I’m glad you doing better. Take care of those sore muscles.
Rusty – You really lucked out that the tree didn’t go through your house. Such a beautiful tree too. Glad you weren’t there either.
Cuckoo – I’m glad those storms missed you too.
Pepper – I’m cracking up!
Kiska - Nice pics!
Kelli – That’s is the biggest BOP I’ve ever seen. Pretty blooms!
Dyson – I was hoping your rain would make it this far SE. It missed us by about 30 miles.

71.1 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 63 °F
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 °F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3200 ft
Overcast 4300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy and breezy. Not as warm with a chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 77. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Tha a/c went out yesterday. It was 85* in the house before the repair guy showed up. We had a back door front move through last night (the you God!). We are back into seasonal temps for a couple of days. JIA was at 94 yesterday - we hit 91. Just way too hot this early in the season. No rain last night lots of noise from the storms moving through SE GA.

Damselfly

This message was edited May 12, 2009 6:00 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yayyy! I just took my last two pills and have just about got my sea legs back!

46* and it's going to mbe a beautiful day before tomorrow's rain. My lawn is emerald green and newly mowed!

I'm a bit behind again, so I won't catch everyone.

Dyson, even when I was little I liked to watch Dad turn our almost acre. The dirt is gumbe and it was so black and shiny. I'm turning worms too! The robins follow me.

Sharon, I've printed the recipe in Recipes. I'll find the link when I have more time. It's the best I've ever had! I had a severe sinus infection. I always try to get over it myself. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Except after 50, then it can kill you :o) I'll never go thru another one without pills now. Especially since my Mom was susceptible to sinus. Gorgeous rose bud to start us off!

Kelli, I might have 7 sisters too. Does yours come with deadly grabby thorns? We'll have to post pictures and compare. Mine won't bloom till June. Pretty prickly pear.

Ric, if they're smart, they'll let you do your thing and be finished! The house is ging to be nice! Pineys are midwest too. First time I heard my Grandma say it I had her show me the plant ROTFL!! Beautiful Mothers Day bouquet!

Sharon, I love blackberries and your's look healthy. Too bad you can't move a few to a corner where they won't invade the neighbors.

Rann, Our government isn't much better. I'm so sick of back biting negitivity. I hope your's can get something accomplished and your lives can be less stressful. It sure is hard on kids.

Marylyn, sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you're better! I'll bet the Bunnies love the volcano!

Rusty, that is not a good selling point is it? It's terrible to lose a big tree. The roots are huge! Your poor roof! Yes, you were very lucky it missed it! I'm glad you have some help in cleaning up the tree.

Pepper, ROTFL over your luck with peelings!!

Kiska, icy lake. I love that desctiption. It's very visual. The birds sure don't mind cold feet. The glacier loks pretty cold too! Hard to believe you still have roads closed.

Kelli, thanks to TV, we learn there are volcanos everywhere!! Talk about prehistoric, I love the Bird of Paradise. I see the potential blooms way up there. Aww, beautiful amaryllis and daylily! I have a mini daylily called Tinkertoy. It's a creamy yellow. Maybe lighter than yours.

Sharon, love blue damsel flies!

I'm caught up!! Yayyy!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Still windy, but the sun is out for the moment. Rain in the forecast though. 49°F.

Rusty - sorry about the tree - glad the damage wasn't worse. Certainly lucky that it didn't hit the house!

Kiska - great photos :-) Enjoy the good weather! :-)

Kelli - you have some gorgeous amaryllis. That tall "tree" in the first photo - is that the bird of paradise ???!!? It's huge! I think your childhood ideas of volcanoes are very normal considering what'd you'd see on TV and in kid's books over there ;-)

Sharon - glad you could get the AC fixed! And here's hoping for cooler temps your way ;-) You'd cool off in a real hurry up here with this hefty wind blowing! lol

This week is Eurovision Song Contest week and we're very excited about it. It's a chance to forget the troubles for a few days :-) The first semi-final is tonight, the second on Thursday night and the Final is on Saturday. The Icelandic representative will go on stage tonight (and Romania too! :-)). The top 10 songs go on to the final. I think she should be in the top 10, but realistically it could go either way. Here are a few video clips of the song:
This one is interesting, a few clips of older entries as well and clips of Iceland :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AmZGS2gq8
video of the second rehersal of the Icelandic entry+ interview with the singer: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/multimedia/videos?id=2416
And the official video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVSXCohyrQ
The singer, Yohanna (Jóhanna Guðrún) is 18 years old. She sang on her first album when she was 9. She's incredibly talented. The song is called: Is it true? and somehow seems very appropriate now given our current situation. If anyone's interested you can watch the show live here : http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home and here too I think: www.esctoday.com

Have a GREAT day!

Rann

(Zone 5a)

We got through to the final! :-) And so did Romania :-) Congrats Adina :-) Other finalist were Sweden, Finland, Armenia, Bosnia&Herzegovina, Turkey, Malta, Israel and Portugal (in random order).

Iceland was drawn out the the last envelope so needless to say we very getting a bit nervous! lol

Have a good night! And where is everyone ????

Rann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyy!!! Yohanna's voice is beautiful!

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Marylyn :-)

It's 10:30 pm now, still bright as day and it's getting horribly hard to get the girls to go to sleep....... we're so ready for summer vacation! lol

Cool, in the mid to upper 60s for a high today. Cloudy most of the day too. Had a breeze all day but this afternoon it picked up and when I left work it was blowing hard enough that I had some flats falling off the railing that they are sitting on outside. I warned a coworker about it and went home. lol.

Made a bit of progress in the garden today. Got my red twig dogwood planted. That' it. LOL!!! It's still muddy out there and it clumps up but I had to get it planted. It wasn't happy in the pot. If the rain holds off til afternoon tomorrow I will get my tomatoes into pots. I want to put them in the ground but I can't even get it tilled and they keep drying out so it's time to transplant.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helloooo! Well, what a beautiful day we've had! The temp got up to 70° & lots & lots of sunshine. :D It was a great day to go to Lowe's...I just had to use that gift card! LOL My big mistake was taking JW by the riding lawn mowers! Whew! I liked to never tore him away so we could go home. :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 63°F
Feels like: NA
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: NA
Humidity: NA
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:16 AM
Sunset: 8:23 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Rann, I really need to go take a look at your links. :) But am thrilled that Iceland made it to the finals! Yippee! :D
Marylyn, Thanks, Glad that your bruises are healing! I hope your pride has healed too. ;)
Rusty, Glad that you are safe! That was a huge tree! :-O
Dyson, Glad that you are all right, too. Did you all not get all of the rain we had? There was a tornado in Bland county...I just got worried for ya.
Sharon, Thanks, I just love your back 'fence' line! A perfect back yard! :D And Black berries! Mine are blooming...at least the ones that I have left.
Kelli, Your Day Lily is so pretty! :D I can't wait fro mine! I do have a bud coming on my Stella D'orra.
Sally! Strawberry-Rhubard! Yummmmm.... We had so much water this week end that I found a few drowned worms! So sad....
Kiska, I really like the snow pics! I don't care what season it is. :) Shoot! I like all of your pics! LOL How are the MG's doing? I sent some to DebinSC & she sent me a pic of the vines...they look really great, like yours. She's going to send me some pics when they bloom. :)
Mau, The Amaryllis still isn't up. It's in the Lily section of my yard; they are all up but that one. I have a question...do deer like them? One night a week ago Jack was in the house & wanted out really bad. When I let him out it sounded like he was chasing something fast down the driveway. The next day I went out & found my Oriental Lily out of the ground. I hunted everywhere for the Amaryllis, which is supposed to be close by...& couldn't find it. I know that squirrels like bulbs, but Jack has killed 2 since he has been 'out of jail'.
Bernie, Sounds like you'll have lots of things to put up or sell! All your hard work will pay off, for sure! :D
Ric, Are you back to work yet?
Pepper, Good luck on the tomatoes...Some times Mother Nature doesn't cooperate.

Well, I need to go clean the living room floor....JW! :D
Have a good nite all!
Joey

(look what I found!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joey is that some kind of Centuria?
Nope on the work. At least three weeks yet......

Rusty glad tree damage was all you had.
Looks like here back in the Fall.

Kiska..... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Here's the Bathroom up there... just a little paint and trim to go.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Our Middle Pond is up and running

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.