Show us how your shade garden is doing

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The front bed that's only less than a year old.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Heucheras growing crazy right now also in that same front bed.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Columbine in same bed

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Up the front sidewalk towards the bed.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Left of the garage

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Not really a shade bed anymore, gets a little too much sun but still very nice.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

A work in progress

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Maidenhairs are looking good after all the rain we've had.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

This year's project is to complete the woodland garden hardscape and start planting some things if I don't run out of money!

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Beside my storage barn. Also less than a year old except for the Kousa Dogwood.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Mine and Cheryl's "Kissing Bench". No, the pool belongs to the neighbor but we can use it anytime!!!

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The whole front of the house. It only gets morning sun.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for taking a walk with me! All the pics were taken this morning. Last one of the front bed from a different angle.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

post- very nice. Your plants are so lush and happy looking. Thanks for sharing.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

We've had a lot of rain the past two weeks, it's helped everything grow really nice.

Doug

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, it looks great!
Everything fits together so nicely.
That woodland garden-in-the-making looks luscious - ready to go!
What kind of hardscape are you planning on putting in?
It doesn't make me nearly as tired to think of someone else doing the work as when I'm doing it!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

post= so do you not have any vole problems? I have tons of shade, surrounded by oaks, but voles eat all the roots.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My biggest problem pest-wise is chipmunks and squirrels. I dont see as many deer as I used to thank goodness!

Doug

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Interesting about the rodents. We don't have chipmunks and the only reason we can think of is that voles must occupy that niche in nature here. Voles are worse than deer to me: they are sneaky! They come up under the plant and eat the roots. You cannot cage or spray repellent or otherwise protect the plants, which at least you can do somewhat from deer.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Doug, I'd be happy to ship you a few deer! I have plenty to share.
And I could also spare you a ground hog or two, who could surely add a little excitement to the scene!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Cedar, you can use a product called a 'gopher cage' to protect the roots of plants, if you want.
It's available commercially. It's a small-gauge chicken wire basket which is meant to be planted with the plant.
The wire cage goes around the roots keeping gnawing rodents from the roots.
I also use these cages above ground as a cover to protect newly planted perennials from both bunnies and deer.
I usually leave the covers on for a couple years until the plant is established; then, they're on their own.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Weerobin, I made those cages out of hardware cloth many times and lived to regret it. The cage did not always save the plant from voles because they can still come in from the top. But worse, many plants died when planted in them. I think it was because it was difficult to keep the dirt settled in well around the root ball. And for the ones that did survive, it was a nightmare to try and move/divide them. So I gave up. I have just purchased a new product from Liquid Fence (which has good deer repellent) that is supposed to repel voles and moles. I don't see how it works though since voles are vegetarians and moles are carnivorous. We'll see......

The gardening wars continue! :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Isn't that the truth!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Looks great postmandug! My shade beds are just waking up now and I'm quite pleased with how they're maturing I will post some pics when they are awake.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Cedar18, we're having the same vole discussion over on the PNW forum. Mine eat the green stuff as well as the roots. I'll try to remember to post if anyone comes up with a new solution (other than cats or bulb cages).

Beautiful pictures, Doug. I'm sneaking a look in at work, but will take some more time to take your tour tonight when I'm home.

Kathy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well my shade garden will be much lovlier after I add these. We went to a huge greenhose today in Allendale MI. Called Countryside greenhouse. So much fun we usually go once a year at least. Kinda far from our house but its something to do with a little time;) Together time also. I got Brit Marie Crawford ligularia....love them! Now I have six. altogether. I also got obsidian heuchera, midnight rose heuchera, silver scrolls heuchera, melting fire heuchera and stoplight heuchera. Also another day I got venus heuchera. We have so much green really needed some dark colors. I think I hit the "mother load"! LOL. Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

katie59, what is the link to the vole discussion? Thanks

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Obsidian is my favorite. I lost three over the winter. Only have one left. Boo hoo.

The vole discussion is still in the early stages, but here you go Cedar. I know Mauryhillfarm will have something add when she sees the thread. She and I have discussed voles before:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986953/

Kathy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

obsidian is georgeous! Been to cold here for plantng for me! Warm up for good please. Ronna

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Hostas are doing great.

Thumbnail by weeding

Hellebourus are thriving.

Thumbnail by weeding

Calycanthus loves the weather.

Thumbnail by weeding

Fatsia Japonica keeps getting bigger. It's a monster!

Thumbnail by weeding

Illicium florida is competing with Fatsia.

Thumbnail by weeding

Voodoo Lily is up, but has not sent out Mr' Stinky yet.

Thumbnail by weeding

Wntergreen is demanding more room.

Thumbnail by weeding

The amaryllis just bloomed.

Thumbnail by weeding

Jacob's Ladder is demanding lots of water.

Thumbnail by weeding
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful. I really want to see more of that Calycanthus as it grows up, please. I bought one this spring and it's just starting to leaf out. Clearly it needs more sun. We've had a cool, wet spring - hopefully we're starting to turn the corner.

Kathy

Northfield, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm kind of a newbie to gardening and Dave's Garden. I bought quite a few end of season bargains last year to start a shade garden on the east side of my house that's under a very large, very old sugar maple. I was happy to see that the things I planted last year - mostly astilbe, coral bells, bugle weed (?) and hosta - actually made it through and seem to be doing pretty well. I'll post a pic...

Thumbnail by bmblsad

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.