Montana gardeners - advice please....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hiya - I used to live in Great Falls about 9 years ago (for 7 years) so I know the state and temps pretty good - I'm trying to help some friends of mine decide on fast growing vines for their property - I'm thinking a Silverlace vine and hardy clems - anyone have any good suggestions? I checked Brushwood Nurseries and while I know there are tons of hardy clems I'd like to hear from you on vines you have had sucess with - honeysuckle?

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Even though I'm not in MT, Iive in WY (zone 3/4), I thought I should let you know that my honeysuckle vine does just fine. I haven't had it in long, however, as I planted it last year. We have had one of the longest winters with subzero temps and it is actually starting to climb now. (My lilacs aren't even leafed out yet.) No sign of my clematis yet. If they don't care about flowering vines, they might think about a wood vine too. I have hummingbird (trumpet) vines, but just started them last year too, so can't say how they will do. Not even sure that it made it thru the winter.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks - yes, WY is pretty much the same as MT weather wise and I'm sure a honeysuckle would survive there as well - he want's flowering, so clems are perfect :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chiming in from Cowtown. Hardy honeysuckle will do VERY well in Montana.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow! DNut that is georgous! Can't wait for mine to get that nice. How old is yours? Please tell me that is not this year, as I will be really bummed to know that we are that far behind with our plantsthis year. LOL! Is that a clem on the other side of the door climbing the trellis?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL definitely not this year. It's just leafing out now. I inherited the honeysuckle with the house so I have no idea how old it is but based on the size of the base I would say it's been there a long time. I was told the garden shed (former play house) was built in the early 60s. That's a John Cabot rose on the other trellis.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Ditto on the honeysuckle. Can't find any pics of my Dropmore Scarlet, but it's fabulous, and it heads for the sky fast.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So glad I just bought a honeysuckle!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.