What are the tiny white flies...

Marion, IA(Zone 5a)

that I am finding in all of my flower plants - just over the past few weeks, it seems? So far the plants seem OK but the flies seem to be multiplying like rabbits! To me they look like extremely minaturized white butterfles.

HAYWARDS HEATH, Suss, United Kingdom

ooooooh - could this be the dreaded whitefly, that breeds like fury in warm places such as greenhouses here in UK? IF it is then it HATES French marigolds - tagetes - and I had none in my greenhouse until I pulled up the French marigolds and left my tomato plants in there. Within a day they'd appeared. They do damage plants, and make them sticky, I think. I'm sure others here are far more knowledgeable than I about them. They look quite neat, but are listed in all publications as a PEST! Good luck. It's well known about the tagetes family keeping them away as a natural and pretty repellant - v. effective. I don't know what sprays would do it, though.

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 20th 11:45 PM

Lyndeborough, NH

Whiteflies.

Reproduction rate, every female is born prego and reproduces 200 offspring every 2 weeks.

Sis your first formula is a fertlizer not a bug killer..

For Whitefly control.

RE: Rodales "Color Handbook of Garden Insects" by Anna Carr

Tobacco dust or tobacco tea..

If you are the chem group almost any pesticide will kill them. You only need 1/3 strength to do the job.

OR

On flowers only you can use a systemic pesticide called Disyston.

Byron

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 20th 11:45 PM

Marion, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all your suggestions. Byron,you reminded me that I'd purchased some tobacco dust from seedman.com so I think I'll try that. If that doesn't work, I'll try Sis's recipe #2! Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.