utah gardenerslets thread

Springville, UT

i am in 5b springville area--gardeners lets thread

Reno, NV

I'm not from Utah but welcome to the Rocky Mt's. There are actualy quiet a few of us that don't live in the Rockys but this is closet to our climates. That and everyone is really friendly and helpful. You're welcome to just jump in with an of our threads.

"a Mountain is any place water flows downhill" =)

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Sorry for the newbness... But what is a "gardeners let's" thread for?

Reno, NV

I'm asumeing it's to get people from the area together in one spot, one thread. And you can seriously ask any questions you want. I promise your not going to offend =)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

So glad to see you Nawla ^_^

Springville, UT

i am experimenting this year and using coconut coir to plant my strawberries in; it seems economical and pratical and you can see it on this site--BOCOBOB. I have my garden in--tomatoes, peas, onions, peppers, potatoes, rasberries, wine grapes--there aren't any seeds and they are delicious!!!!! and i can't forget my blackberries. I am always looking for new ways to plant veggies or what ever. i am starting an herb garden

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I've seen the BocoBob stuff and read through some of his stuff and users stuff. So are you're strawberries potted? Or have you used the coconut core to replace your soil in the ground? You have grapes already? Wow, that sounds great. : )

Reno, NV

Can I come over for lunch? Lol. Sounds great. I've actually been thinking about picking up some grapes this weekend. Saw a recipe for pickeled grapes and it sounds really good.

What are herbs are you planning on having?

Springville, UT

the coconut coir replaced the soil---all i had to do before planting was spray the soiil with miracle grow--the coconut coir comes in bricks and is very easy to handle; I put a brick into a large wheel barrow and it made about 60 pounds of soil. I was nervous at first because i didn't know exacatly how much soil it would produce--the brick puffs up to dark brown soil. The strawberries seemed to be growing. Here in utah; i mentioned coconut coir to a worker at a plant nursery and they knew what it was!!!! I don't think that they want the public to know because coconut coir is a moisture control in of it self which means less watering!! I like that!!!! :o)

Reno, NV

=) I haven't yet tried coir in my garden. But I remember how big it get from some pet or another that we used it as bedding for.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Interesting, I'll have to test that the next time I need more soil for a bed. I had heard that it has absolutely no nutrient base to it, so it makes sense that you had to add something to it. I wonder if it wouldn't also be good to add something more natural and composty to it like manure to balance it with some natural nutrients. I'm also curious about whether the coir soil will prove more or less resistant to good and harmful bugs and micro-organisms. I'm really just getting into all this, so I don't even have any way to guess. I just know enough to know it's important.

It sounds like it's going great for you so far though! I can't wait to see what the final result is at the end of the summer.

Springville, UT

ihaven't planted all my strawberries so i am going to add some potting mix to one set of coir plus some miracle grow--searching daves garden i have come to know the coconut coir is just another soil medium as i have read in this forum or another forum. people plant the herbs in coir along with potting soil; i just love daves garden because you get so many ideas from everyone else.
I don't have grapes; i just planted some and rasberries. I'll get some starts for black berries as soon as i get the rest of my strawberries and herbs planted.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Welcome, Nawla! Post some pics of what you've got growing!

Brenda

Springville, UT

i don't know how to do that anyways gardening is my top priority--my garden with my basic vegetables wasn't doing very well so i had to buy more of the basic plants and now i am more on schedule and since i rent an apartment i am planting some of my berries at other places--it just seems like i get a yard looking good and the landlord raises the rent so i am helping others who own their own home plant various berries and bushes

Springville, UT

also i have health issues that prevent me from doing what i did 5 years ago--but i will always be a gardener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o)

Springville, UT

my strawberries are delicious in the Boco Bob agro stacker. I used the coir with mircle grow and then as the runner start growing i add little osmocote and espons salt. They are delicious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.