Propagation: Propagation part VIII based on my experience

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, wonder how we missed out on that. Nope, you can have it Lee.

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I want some snow...lol no chance lws in the 50s and 60s but rain tonight, rain tomorrow and you guessed it rain tomorrow. Its my turn to try for da nap. I am wondering since we have 2 grandbabies in diapers.... the 8 to 10 pounds is how much it will hold??? LMAO ROTF

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

That floor can get mighty hard, and you need the other part!!!!!!!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I was in Montana one time. Nice country. My cousin was in WWII and was in the S. Pacific for many months. When they sent him home for rehab, they sent him to Montana. He said they have a short Summer and if it falls on a Sunday you play golf after church.
We used to laugh at him because he was so cold he hated Rehab. LOL I guess you get used to it. Not this old fool. I am a warm weather puppy. Nite all. I am going to have a cocktail and then dinner and then watch some TV and be in bed by dark. Hugs, JB

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Okay, I got a question - anyone know how strawberry plants are commercially propagated? I mean, I know about the little runners and stuff, but do you get them in plugs or, are they grown from seed or Tissue Culture, or what???

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Sheryl: I will look into it for you to see what I can dig up....lol..
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

PC, I don't know about commercial but I know that they send them out by groups of 25, 50, etc. just bareroot, with the crowns on one end and the roots hanging down on the other. Don't know why commercial would be any different. Just pack them wet, moist.

Jeanette

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm back..... I love the pic of the prayer. Funnest thing.....

Sinus surgery went well, and I'm in no pain.... I had the minister lay hands on me and I believe that is why I'm not having any pain. The only down side is when I get up and move around I get a blooded nose, but that too will slow down and finally quit.

I'm just glad to be on the recovery side of this surgery now. I'm praying this surgery will get me off all of the meds that I've had to take for the past year. Asthma and acid reflux from all the sinus drainage and of course the steroids.

Well I felt up to turning the computer on to see what everyone was up to.

I'll be back tomorrow. I'm off work till Tuesday when I go back to the doctors. I just wish it was a surgery that I could be off work a while and also be out in my garden planting.....LOL

Can't have it all can we...

later folks, thanks for the well wishes.

Janet

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Janet, I am so thankful for you that all went well. We were all wishing you the best recovery . Glad it is over.
Lee

Pawleys Island, SC

Janet, I am happy you are doing well. I hope it only gets better for you. Linda

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yahooo for you Janet. I am so glad you did well and you are feeling o.k. It will take awhile and do not overdo it with that bloody nose thing. That too will pass but it would not be too good for you to be planting, etc. Just sit by your puter and talk to us for a few days and we will either make you better or make you crazy. Hugs and Prayers from us here in NJ. God Bless.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Janet:
I am so glad you are doing a lot better. Take your time...steriods ...a new arnold swartsneger??? Janet Swartsneiger???
Sorry couldn't help it was too easy. I am glad you are doing much better though. Its best not to rush the recovery. I am praying you get the results you are seeking and to be med free.

I will be out of pocket untill sunday pm but will try to pop in. Its a great weekend coming up ...grand babies... No one ever said if I was correct on the size of diapers though. does like a 8-10 pound diaper hold 8-10 pounds???

oh yea new joke. boss is chatting with several employees about the economy... knock knock.......

Gosh, if you skip through your post too fast, Janet, and it looks like your minister gave you a bloody nose.... >grin< ...

Glad to hear things are going well, I know that used to be a miserable (as in months of pain) surgery - hope you are up to bending over again soon!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good news Janet. Take care and get well.

Jeanette

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'll bite...
Who's there?

LOL!~

Pawleys Island, SC

We are finally getting some RAIN!. It sounds so good and the ground is really drinking it up. I had planned to plant some small things today, but it will wait.
The puppet show was a great success and now I can get back to a normal routine. LOL whatever that may be.
I am planning to stick a few cuttings in the propagator. it may still be a little early, but I want to try some azaleas. So far the Camellias I started look really good.
Tomorrow is a pottery festival, so I will be gone again, but I will let you know if I find any goodies for planters. Have a great day everyone.
Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave is gone for the weekend. lol, you'll have to wait.

Jeanette

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Linda, how do you start your camelia cuttings? if I ask you before, I apologize. I was sure I ask someone and printed it out but I can not find it. Sorry to be such a bother. JB

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda, got the pkg. Thanks a lot. Wow so many seeds!! That will be fun. I see the postage, do you want till we decide on the lantana before I pay you, or do you want me to pay you now for the rose and seeds? And postage. Let me know. Jeanette

Thank you so much. I know how busy you are. Appreciate it.

This message was edited May 15, 2009 2:36 PM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy from little rock:
ok the joke answer not anyone at this company....lol I could bot resist. Have a great time with the grandbabies. Have a good weekend everyone
Dave
oh yea i know that was a bad joke

Ouch...

Pawleys Island, SC

JBerger,
I usually take camellia cuttings in july and stick them in sand or use a forsythe pot. They take a long time to root, but they really don't require any extra attention. After I cut them, I scrape the bark from about an inch from the end and dip them in rootone or another rooting hormone. Then I keep them in a moist shady place and wait. Sometimes they take as much as 6 months to show signs of rooting, They won't look like they are dying, but they won't look like they are growing either.
The forsythe method is the same except in this case you stick the cuttings in a plastic pot, with a terra cotta pot with plugged drainage hole in the center. Keep the terra cotta pot full of water and the surrounding medium stays evenly moist. You can then put the pot in the shade, or on your porch etc. Where ever you have space as this time you will be controling the light and moisture. I have had success both ways.
This is the first time I have tried any in the aeroponic chamber. My BIL took some cuttings from his camellias on Wadmalaw Island, ( 100 or more year old plants) and brought them to me to root. It may have been too early to take the cuttings, but I have to try them.I will let you know how that works.

Jnette, I don't have any small lantana. I can root some and send you plants, or I can send you cuttings. All of the plants I wanted to take up have big root systems and I think to mail them would be outrageous. If I root some, you can have Mrs. Huff, New gold, Pink Caprice, mozelle, dallas red, or weeping lavender. Just let me know which varieties you would like.

The pottery festival was fun. We really needed the get away and Mom had a great time. Now I have finished all my commitments and have no excuse for not planting. LOL. I will let you know tomorrow if I am successful.
Hope everyone has a great sunday. Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda!! How nice that your mom got out. How is she doing anyway?

Have you ever heard of a Forsythia not blooming? I have one I bought about 10 years ago from a very reputable nursery. I have moved it twice to get it in more sun each time, put triple phosphorous, or was it phosphate on it? Whichever the nursery told me to, and it still does not bloom. It is Forsythia Suspensia. In other words, it is suppose to drape or hang or whatever you want to call it. But not one bloom. nada

Jeanette

Pawleys Island, SC

Jnette,
I have one that doesn't bloom, but it is a rooted cutting of Lynwood gold and I don't believe it has bloomed since I rooted it. I think it is in too much shade, but I can't get to it now b/c hubby put his workshop in my path. ( actually I can go, I just don't know what lives under his woodpile.LOL) I always thought they would be pretty planted with a pink flowering quince. Here those 2 are just about the first things to bloom in the spring. It would make a nice wake up show I think.

Mom is doing better, thanks for asking. She is frustrated by the things she cannot do and frightened by the twinges that she used to ignore. It is a big adjustment, but slowly she is regaining her strength. It is weird for me because I had never actually seen my parent's ages before last year. They just never aged in my mind. Now all that is different. They are becoming more fragile.

Now, my question is... I have a dwarf flowering almond that used to belong to my FIL. It is growing more and more spindly and didn't bloom at all this year. Is there anything I can do other than continue to feed it so that I don't lose it.

Thanks, Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

How about the location? sun, shade, soil good, bad? Other than those, I don't know if you feed it. Is it just old age? You know that gorgeous daphne that gets tall purple flower covered spikes in the early spring? Those things self distruct, actually kill themselves but I can't remember how old they are when they do that. I had several that did that and my mom took some home because they are so cool, they seed down around themselves and she took it 400 miles away. It did just great until it got to be that same age and it died. For no reason.

I used to have one of those flowering almonds in Seattle. Gorgeous plants. I saw one yesterday at an estate sale and it was so beautiful. Nicest one I have ever seen.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

BTW Linda, I can't remember if you said your mom had a stroke or heart attack? If it was a stroke and you get her to a hospital within a short time, and I can't remember the limit, make sure they give her TPA. For strokes. Google it. You will find out. They did not do that with my mom and she died. We had her there in time too. But Group Health, her insurance co. and hospital, did not give it to her and I know it was because of the cost. Really ticks me off.

Jeanette

Also, speaking of how you view your folks ages, I had to laugh. My daughter for years always told people who asked, that I was 32 years old. One day her MIL told her I would have had to have her when I was 12 years old. Kind of burst her bubble.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy: Forsythia bloom on old wood so it might be early for yours. I have several lynnwood gold and the stock plant I use flowers every spring. I would give it some more time. I do know they like a fair amount of full sun. I hope this helps
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Good Morning all you propagators, I do not know if you have these days or not, but today is one day I am so frustrated with the weather again. We had a cold front go thru overnight and my brugs are a mess, the little morning glories I put out got cold, my tropicals are looking like they are all sick...I emptied the greenhouse except for the baby plants I sell and now I am just completely frustrated. It went down to 40 deg. last night.
GH heat stayed on Thank God and only went to 59. I just needed to vent. I swear this weather is going to be the death of me yet.
Hope my day goes better soon. I need to pack and ship plants today so I must get moving. Be happy and stay warm if you are having my kind of weather. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Later. JB

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I hear what you are saying JB, it is suppose to be 83 today with thunder storms tomorrow. Very unstable weather.

Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

I am with you guys, this weather has to stabilize pretty soon. I have taken a chance and moved the hanging pots out, and planted the outside, in the ground, pots. still have lots in the GH tho, am kinda afraid to send them out. Supposed to be the same here, Jeanette, 83+ Sounds like our weather is similiar to yours. so don't send the TS over here, send them back to Canada. We always need the rain, but thunder-lightning, no way. Things are just too dry here. Hope you all are OK,
Lee

Pawleys Island, SC

I understand too. All my whining aabout not getting any rain led to 3 straight days of rain and I just went out to check on the birds and greenhouse and it is COLD! I was shocked. It has to be in the low 50's. My little starfruit baby is drooping.

Jnette, it was a heart attack. Not stroke. She is doing much better now but her strength is slow to return.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm sure it does take a long time Linda. I had my foot surgery in December and could not put any weight on it for 3 months so my legs are weaker and I have gained 13 lbs. I am trying to work that off, but like I said my legs don't want to cooperate.

Jeanette

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

OH #$%^&*)%##%^%&^^&**^%$#$# THE WEATHER REPORT CALLS FOR DROPPING TO HIGH 30'S TONIGHT. THAT DOES IT. I do not know what to do with my plants on the deck other than cover them with a sheet which will blow off. Crap. I am really grumpy. JB

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

We were suppose to get a frost last night so I covered everything and then it wasn't much so the night before was colder and the plants (annuals) that I had out aren't too happy about me not covering them up the night before....

When is summer going to come to northern ohio.......

I hear yall on having to deal with the ups and downs on weather....

Janet

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have another question for the group here:

I have several sedums that I would like to start cutting from.

What is the best way to do this.

Here is one don't have the name of it (thanks to the squirrels taking off with my tags last year) and I so want more of it. I purchased it last year after the bloom time and now that I get to see the blooms I want more!!!!!!!

So just take a cutting and then dip in rooting hormone and put in what type of soil? Does it need to be inside a plastic bag for the moisture to help it root? or not?

thanks

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

The sedum that I had is similar to that, the ony difference in then was the flowers and all I ever did to mine was break off a piece and stick it down in the soil and I have just regular soil where it was planted and nothing to help it along and it rooted just fine . Really easy stuff to start.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

HEY FF...where you been hideing???
I agree sedums are easy peasy....
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

That is beautiful sedum, when you are ready to trade, give me a yell.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

OH I haven't been hiding, just been busy don't get on here quite as much since the weather has warmed up. LOL Lots of work on the out side . How are you Dave?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.