Propagation: Propagation part VIII based on my experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome to those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and feelwe should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome.
We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/970801/

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.
Please check in if you are continuing on from part VII. I like to make sure we did not loose anyone.
I try to keep things on track and a nice calm slow paced thread that everyone can understand.
Welcome and thank you to the loyal readers on this thread. The pic is of 2 different lynwood gold forsythia.
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Morning everyone, and THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE EMAILS. It is working now. I am not sure but I think AOL had a glitch and now is is corrected. Thanks for the nice comments too. The site serves a purpose and that is all I need.

The sun is to shine today, but no sign of it so far. I have outside work to do so I will be back later. Thanks again. I knew I could count on you. Hugs JB

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Just the pest Lee, checking in. Great mornin to all

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Checking in

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

new participant here checking in.

I just love this thread. So much interest and it is wonderful to with others that want to create as many new plants as I do....LOL

Janet

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Good mornin:
Welcome janet, we are always glad to have a new face in the group. Its suposed to be a warm day but so far its not here. Like JB I have things I want to get acomplished we will see just what gets finished.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You're on a roll Dave, good work.

Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

When taking a cutting from an evergreen shrub, should the cutting be large? Haven't tried this before and could use some of the expertise here. Got my dip and grow and can't wait to try it hehehe, Lee

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Lee, I can not be very helpful on evergreen shrub cuttings, but if you go to the plant section and put it in the search, it will tell you when to take the cutting and some say 5 to 7 inches long, etc. I always check it out before I try something new. This DG site is so helpful. You can also look it up in a google search and many times propagation is part of the print out.
If you know what it is, I can look it up in my book for you. What kind of evergreen is it and I will do that for you also.
I got all my planters planted today. Now the only thing left in the greenhouse are the scented geraniums, and brugs that must come out after I am sure the weather is o.k.
I am going to keep the plants in the GH that I am selling. The other tropicals have been outside for weeks now and look like it. They are awful looking but they will come back as soon as I trim them and the sun shines.
I have a few more things that need to be planted outside but I am too tired and it is late.
I need to rest before I decide what I am having for dinner.
Have a good evening.JB
Thanks again for your help with those Emails.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Lee:
If you will tell me what it is I might know off the top of my head. I prefer the softwood or green cuttings but some plants need the winter's rest to root. Its way strange but it works so how can I complain??? I managed to get yapon holly to root out and thats suposed to be one of the toughest.
Here is the link where I show the propagation in detail. Hope it helps
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892721/

Its about 1/2 way down. normally I would cut and paste but there are pictures....wow pretty pictures ...lol

I did manage to plant some stuff today spent a whole houre outside. For me thats big coming off the week from hell.
I just wonder how long before DW throughs a kanipstion fit about me turning the back yard into a small nursery....lol
How ever she did say I "can do what ever I want on my end of the yard" LOL
I will catch up later this pm
Dave

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Sure sure, just rub it in...... We still have 30"s at nite, and my babies are crying for a perm. home and a cozy bed. I am doing the hanging baskets tho. they can hang out during the day, and we bring in at nite. I sent my friend home with 12 flats of plants on Sunday. Hope they make it for him. Now I have my family baskets to do, and the neighbors' barrel and corner rock bed to figure out before I can see what I have left for my own. The petunias are still looking pretty skimpy, but I think the worst is past. I lost about 9 flats total. The best ones this year are the silver waves. I lost most of the blue. Datura, hibiscus, and dahalia have come around and are not looking too bad except small. I may have overwatered. The shrub, I have to look up, can't remember the name. It is a greenish/yellowish common cedar type. Has overgrown the area, and I need to prune it. Thought I may as well try starting some before I throw the cuttings out, since Dave was kind enough to send me some of his dip and grow. Good time to start, don't you think? I tried before with root-tone with no luck Lee.

Pawleys Island, SC

HI Everyone, I thought I was lost.... I am putting camellias in the aero chamber today. I will let you know my results.
Linda

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I worked my old u know what off yesterday and I feel it today. Boy I hate getting old.

It isn't bad enough the weather is so crazy, but the kids are both busy working 7 days a week just now and I am here to do all the grass cutting, etc. Sunday is our big Mother's Day Lobster feast but it will be late in the day because the pre Olympic Trials are here at the Horse Park of New Jersey and my daughter must be there til they are over. They start today. Every year we go thru this but no matter how much work it is, it is fun. My job is to take the money to the bank. LOL Can't beat that. If you would like to take a look at the website it is www.horseparkofnewjersey.com.

I planted my veggies yesterday. One red pepper and one green pepper plant. That is the extent of it. We also have two tomato plants. My SIL's parents usually plant a really big garden so we have to share their harvest. I stopped freezing and canning years ago so we used to just give the stuff away. I just can not keep a pretty garden anymore with my arm and arthritis so I do not have one.

I have some eucalyptus and morning glories and some other plants to go out but it is just too soon. I went to the plant market yesterday that opened down the road from me. They must have had their little red and white begonias outside for sometime because they are just awful. Little leaves are all brown and wrinkled. They still want $12.50 a flat.

Must go make a deposit for the HPNJ and then back and mow grass if it dries off. It rained so much during the night they had flash flood warnings up all over the place.
See you all later.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

JB: you are an inspiration to me. sometimes I just want to crawl in a ball and pull the covers over me and not get up.
I managed to do some transplanting myself yesterday. I also trans planted my maater's into gallons 3 - 4 plants per. got 4 bush and 4 cherries. I also managed to get the last of the hostas into larger pots
Gotta go dad's here for lunch
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, did you mean 4 plants per each gallon pot????

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That's a really neat site JB. Jeanette

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

The Park is run by volunteers and they do a great job. My daughter is the Liaison between the State Dept. of Ag. and the Horse Park. They do a great job with kids and young adults educating them by holding all sorts of FFA and other farm groups. They hold different events there including Horse Sales, Carriage events, sheep and goat shows and sales, it is really amazing how they keep going especially since the Governor we have does not know a darn thing about agriculture and livestock. He is a wall street
reject.
I have tried three times to go out and work and it rains just enough to be impossible to stay outside. It is also too wet to mow.
I give up. I think I will watch a movie. Or maybe take a power nap. Hugs. JB

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Have any of you started asparagus fern from seed? How long does it take to germinate, and how long before you have a plant to add to a hanging basket. If starting from a division, how many little bulblets to start one? I learn so much from everyone, I just had to ask. I actually realized I have seeds, been throwing the berries away dumb dumb. Thanks, Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette:
yes I put 2 plugs togeter to get a fuller pot. I realize it can be done one per pot but I amtrying an experiment.
Lee don't feel bad, I often find things I could have been doing to move to a better garden
Its been an errand running day. I am wiped out. I did manage to walk the length of the mall twice. My dad does jewlry repair at one of the stores as additional income, so I had an hour to kill. I am glad I could do it. Had to stop a few times but hey I got'er done LOL
Have a good evening
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Good mornin to all:
Looks like another rain day here. Big bummer for me as I have way too much to get done outside. My patio out back has been broken up and removed by the sil. the problem is that when it rains I end up wit a lake outside the back door so I have to walk arround to the side yard and come in that way. The lake was completely out last night but its going be back. looks like its going to march right up through mo.and up into ohio valley. Oh well what can I do about it....nada
I will check in l8tr this afternoon
Dave

Pawleys Island, SC

We finally got rain last night. It didn't last long, but it did rain! Everything was so dry and dusty. I am trying to get caught up today. DH planted a lot of the things I hadn't managed to get to yet, and that was a tremendous help. I am making a to do list and will try to finish it over the weekend.
My daylilies have started to bloom. I will take pictures later on and post them tonight if I get a chance.
Hope everyone has a great day. Linda

In the mean time here is 1 of my favorite irises.

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi Linda: What a pretty iris. I am curious do iris's bloom at the same time or are they similay to Day Lilies, in that their are different flower times for different cultivars? HMMM. I am really wanting to get outside and get my hands dirty but it seems the weather is here again over 12 day's in a row with rain.
My parents have a trailer at one of our lakes and the lake is up 22'. It's highest is 27 feet. i don't know what happens after that but I do know thats how high it can get. The lake itself is part of a series of lakes starting with grand which was a WPA project so the dam is very old and huge.
I hope I am sending more your way (rain) Linda.
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi EVERYONE, Just came in for a bite of lunch. I am mowing grass. Kids are at the Horse Park working at the trials and I am in charge of grass. How lucky can I get. Oh well, anyhow, the rains stopped for a few hours and it is to rain again tonight and tomorrow. It is 9 days of measurable rain for us here Dave. 12 is our record.. Talk about work piling up. Wow.
Linda, the iris is beautiful. I love the old bearded Iris the best. I have several kinds I purchased last year but the old fashion ones are my favorite. My yellow are about to bloom if the sun keeps shining. My grandmother used to call them Flags. They bloomed around Memorial Day and that is how I used to remember their names. I was in high school before I knew they were Iris. LOL. Now you get the Siberian and Japanese and all the other kind and they are skinny blooms compared to these old babies. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Gotta go. See you all later. Hugs.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy: JB you grandmother was not too far off the mark. I believe some are common name flag iris. I think thats kool. Glad you are able to get some things done. Tonights going to be a tough one as the fronts are suposed to come in late tonight and rain into the am. Luckily I got my niece to mow our huge lot. I think it took 20 min. including moving stuff around. I will be sad when we loose her services.
I hope to get my SIL out to put a drain pipe under the greenhouse. One of my BIL's brought some septic field drain pipe 2 ten footers. Just have to dig inside and out to gt the pipe in. It will make me clean up the rest of my over wintered plants. I am thinking I will put my Day Lilies next to the south side of the GH. I have been tossing around the layout I want to do for my containerized plants. Oh well we will see what we end up with.
Last call for the growing supplies co-op. I will be ordering monday so please let me know if you may need web trays, 1801's or propagation flats. Its time to get horrizontal.
Catch up more in the pm
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't want to hear any complaints about the rain you guys. We had a hail storm come thru that left the ground white. I was hoping to get my annuals out this weekend, but I guess I should know better and that was a reminder.

Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Jeanette, sounds like you live next door. Our weather has been like that also. Have 3 hanging pots outside and have to bring in nitetime. The rest of the babies are crying for a new home and bed, however can't trust the W yet. Hi to all the rest of you. Lee

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Rain? Everyday but last Thursday, for almost 2 weeks, now. Someone scrape the mold off of me....

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, did you get the hail today? Nope, you should get it tomorrow. A lot of it!!

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette: I amhopeing your car missed all the ice balls falling from the sky. No one deserves hail. All things considered I would take rain any day over even a little hail.
Be careful what you wish for..... I listed a noid hosta on ebay for 99 cents and someone emailed me wanting 55 of them. sad thing is I only have 25. I hope they still want them even if I can't fill the whole order.
Good morning to everyone. so whats the plan on this lovely saturday??? I am going to see star trek. some movies must be seen on the big screen.
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Dave, I was a Star Trek junkie for years and then it got away from me. For some reason after the first stars left the sceen, I lost interest. Maybe I should check it out. I used to love it.
The sun is out in parts of NJ today everyone. I just came from the vet getting dog more pills for his bad gut. Oh this dog is my darling, but his stomach problems make me crazy.
I am going to transplant the scented geraniums I started from cuttings. Many of them are ready to upgrade to No. 6 pot. LOL
Talk later when I have time. Hugs to all of you this morning. JB

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Good Morning all So far the hail has missed us knock on wood (knocking on my head ha ha). We got a little sleet, no big stuff. I am busy planting pots, and Dave, I have 4 flats of experiments started. :-} I'm telling you guys, youve created a plant munster. Nothing is safe!!!! Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Lee: good job, most people are so afraid to take a cutting or try to get it to root. Whats the worst that can happen it dies...so plant something toug in the used soil and start again. I was out in the GH and spotted a flat of seedlings I was sooo glad to see. sky pencil holly. When I put it in its spot it had a couple up and saying hi. now it looks like I will have most of the tray to play with. And I was wondering if I preped them right...lol I guess so. Have a great afternoon
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I did not get my repotting done. I have a friend who needed some research done for a court case and I had to help her. Her PC is down. So, I spent several hours on the puter helping her. Crap!!!!!
Oh well, tomorrow is another day and hopefully I will get the things done before our Mother's day Lobster feast starts. I hate crowds and there will be about 20 people here.

I need some rest and some food. I will see you all later. The sun shined all day and it was very warm and humid. Severe storms coming tonight. Here we go again. JB

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

JB if its what we got it was all wind and about 20 min. of sprinkles...Happy mothers day to all.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey, I got a quart of little oysters and a sack of home made tamales!!! Isn't that wonderful? Both of those are so good and so rare out here in the tulies. Folks out here would kill for either or both.

Thanks Dave, Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Thanks Dave Daughter and Grandaughter sent a favorite cheesecake from WA. ( would share if I could) he he haha Happy Mothers day to all. Lee

Gosh, maybe I shoulda had kids after all ... I didn't know good food was involved....

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Better get busy PC.

Jeanette

I can see the headlines in the Enquirer now.... well, I guess 45 isn't the oldest to have a child, but ....

So, is the rain beating up on everyone plants like it is mine? My irises are putting on quite a show, but a few are putting on one [day] stands only as the rain beats them to a pulp or the wind knocks them over ... grr.... and, of course, the weeds are springing up like crazy. But at least the hosta I've put out and the trees I've planted are doing great because of it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No, my stuff is just sitting because it is cold. I can't put stuff out because of it. No room left in the house. Oh well.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.