Garden Photos of '09.... #17

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Tree peony buds

Thumbnail by debi_k

Getting too dark for pics, last one, Solomans Seal buds starting.

Thumbnail by debi_k
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Karen ~ of course you'd have time to do that with your photos ... in January maybe.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Love the kiwi vine Deb!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL! True, Candyce!

Debilu, those are very nice. Thanks for sharing!

Karen

thanks Allison and Celeste

And Karen!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that kiwi vine makes me want to put up a real fence!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - so many great pics! It's great to see color bursting out for everyone. Congrats to all. So cool to have the hummers, Allison. I have not seen any yet.

Thomaston, CT

Nice photos, Candyce, Allison, & Debi---loved those magenta tulips. Debi---hope you'll take photos of the tree peony in bloom.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I posted more pics on photobucket.com. Here is the link: http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/patchesandpeachs/Garden%20Pictures%20May%204%202009/

One thing that really bothered me was that many of the vertical shots got uploaded horizontally. I was really bugged by that, as I had to edit them, and I was having trouble with that. I didn't do them all. Sorry!

Karen

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, This is a really tough thread to keep up with. So many beautiful gardens!! WNYwillie & schickenlady, you are two busy beavers. Such marvelous goodies!

WNYwillie, You showed Fordhook Chard, so here is a photo of Fordhook Farms, home of Burpee/Heronswood

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Pixie, The Ribes King Edward is hardy to zone 5A.

Here are the Burpee test beds.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Debilu, Those fuschia tulips are so beautiful with that purple bloomed tree.

The building on the right is the home of Burpee Owner, George Ball. The far building has been converted inside to a conference room.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, Your hummer photo is awesome.

The conference room has a 360 degree painted mural of the farm and pants commemorating the seed development date.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, I think that gorgeous Pulmonaria is Saccharata.

The grounds are lovely.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, I think your Huecherella is either Stoplight or Strike it Rich.

They have some very interesting plantings. I want to go back and see this one mature, Euphorbia Helen's Blush & Varigated Petasite.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The sculptures are wonderful. This one makes music with the wind. If you get down this way, add it to your list. Michael Dirr is speaking there in July.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Stormy, I would love to visit that place!

I have seen some of that variegated Petasite at someone's house, a huge patch of it. Boy, does that stuff spread! Oh, and last year, while viewing fall colors in NH, I saw an even bigger patch of comfrey (symphytum). I had read that it can really spread, but I never knew to what extent. Wow!!!!!

Here is a picture of the patch of comfrey.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, I can't believe that you have Trollius bllooming already. Even your shade is brighter in Jersey!!

Your first three Heuchera = Tiramisu, Miracle & Snow Angel.

And THIS is a neighbor's new Topiary.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Karen, whew, wouldn't want to live next to that! People who have steep banks often like to plant Petasites. Someone in MidAtlantic was just asking for some.

Wha, Your garden vignettes are delightful. I particularly like the sunflowers.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

As a matter of fact, the place where I saw the petasites was on a steep bank. It sure was pretty! Really brightened up the place.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

whoa... Karen love all the iris patches you have!

Stormy - it is stoplight... thank you... and the pulmonaria is raspberry splash (that one still has it's tag) and you are good!... I should go make tags for those heuchera!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Karen, I really do want to see a mature group of them, and then RUN!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, I was thinking that Pulmonaria might be Raspberry Splash but yours has more bi-colored blooms than usual. You are so lucky, mine reverted to plain green.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Allison, though that is really only one iris patch, if you're referring to the pale blue ones. But I have them scattered around, too. That patch in the pics is the nicest one I have. It multiplies very well.

I finally posted the pics of the primroses from the show at Tower Hill. Take a look : http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/patchesandpeachs/Tower%20Hill%20Botanic%20Gardens%20May%203%202009/

Karen

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Karen, They are all gorgeous. I love the Primula particulary the red & gold and that gorgeous Epimedium. Lovely, lovely photos and wonderful plant groupings!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I will never catch up. Great shots. Our garden loved all the rain, but most of the tulips did not. Many of the opened ones are ruined, but more to come. I will download most into a slide show, but not tonight. The narcissus did better. I have a few new loves. 'Bantam' for one.

I found many of my primula in bloom today when the sun finally came out, and was feeling pretty good, until I looked at the photo's taken at Tower Hill tonight, lovely and thanks. Back to reality

Big news is that my old car, a1989 jeep, is gone, donated to the guys who are bringing my mulch. I hope they bring me an extra scoop as "Bob" was a good ride for many years. It spent many years on Nantucket, then in Vt and then with our son in Maine for 3 years before a final couple of years here, until she did her last run today.

The other high point is that I finally got a Fritillaria persica to bloom!!!! Many years of having no blooms. New spot and a better dance. Here it is. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are some of our rain beaten Primula. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Viburnum carlesii is open and smells divine. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A new plant that we bought last June for 8.00 on Nantucket, so I had no idea what the flower looked like until it just bloomed. Thrilled that it made it through the winter. Kind of a cool flower and the foliage was lovely last summer and fall. Darmera peltata (Umbrella Plant) Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another good find, a red trillium which we brought down from our property in Vt. They tend to pop up just where they will get mowed down, so we dug this one up to see if we could move it. Very happy. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I thought my DH was being helpful by stopping to weed when he got back from the PO, but no, only a tennis ball for the dogs. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Wow, another very busy day around here! That's great.

Pixie..... great tulips. And so many of them!! I love the blueberry ripple!

Willie.... love the amaryllis

OMG Sherrie!!! I need you to grow seeds for me. fantastic!

Victor.... great pics.... Love Grace!!

Bill.... All the maples look right at home there. Doing great too. Your yard is looking absolutely fantastic. I'm so jealous! love the brunnera and hosta too.

looking good Candyce! What is the plant in #3. Looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Allison... great heucheras! they always make me drool! the 3rd one looks like snow angel or monet. Probably 'monet'. That is a seed pod on your hellebore!

pretty Kiwi debilu... they all are.

Great Pics Stormy! Love the scenary and that 'topiary' was too funny!!

Patti.... you always put so much time and thought into your collages! they're great.

a few more pics from last weekend. Maybe there will be a break in the weather tomorrow and I'll get out in my own yard for a change!!

This is the only one of the bunch that was taken at my place.

Thumbnail by redchic01

a purrrrty maple.

Thumbnail by redchic01

another one.

Thumbnail by redchic01

a rhody

Thumbnail by redchic01

a wisteria floret