Can anyone tell me about this plant?

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

It seems to be some kind of pothos, but I've never seen coloring like this before. The people at the store where I bought it didn't know either. Can anyone tell me what this plant is called?

Thumbnail by missy99912
(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I had one years ago.....a variegated pothos. Had to give it away when we moved overseas.

Cleveland, OH

i actually got this plant not to long ago in a basket of plants and it took me a long time to identify it. it's not a pothos. i think it's actually referred to commonly as false philodendron. i identified it as peperomia scandens, variegated of course.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

It's hard to tell for certain by the photo...but I don't think your plant is Peperomia scandens.

There is, I've heard tell....I 'newly introduced' (though likely it's been around awhile...just not commonly grown or sold) Epipremnum with that type of variegation.

It's name is Epipremnum aureum "N’Joy"

If you enter that name into google it brings up a few hits...check them out and see if you think that might be it.

Craryville, NY

And to me, from the fuzzy photo, it looks like it might be a Hoya carnosa variegata. ????

(Zone 1)

Hey ya Nan! You go girl! I had totally forgotten about E. N' Joy! I only heard about it a little over a year ago.

Check this out: http://www.flowercouncil.org/int/product/novelties/plants/2008/p08NL_njoy.asp

Some additional photo's for comparison:

this site isn't in English but shows a nice picture of the plant: http://www.tuinadvies.be/epipremnum_aureum_njoy.htm

and, scroll way down this page: http://www.tropicsphere.com/main/index.php/2009012260/tropical-plant-industry-exhibition-2009/All-Pages.html

Cleveland, OH

fascinating! no wonder it was so hard to identify. i appreciating you citing your sources plantladylin, a lot of websites out there have it wrong.

db

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Thank you everyone! The plant is definittely E. N' Joy. Everything about the description is a perfect match, and so is the photo. I never would have found that. You guys are amazing!!!!!

(Zone 1)

Nan is good at identifying plants ... and I like to google for information and images!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Glad I could help.

I've never actually seen one of these 'in person'....just a photo.
Anything new or unusual usually sticks in my mind until I get ahold of one!

The stems of your plant definitely looked 'pothos-esque' (LOL!) so I had a feeling that was it.

(Zone 1)

Missy: I hope you will upload a photo or two of that plant to Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184941/

Currently there's only one picture so far.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, yes, please do, Missy....your plant is very 'pristine' and would be a great example.

Forgot to say, HI LIN!!! Hope all's well w/you....haven't been on a whole lot and haven't had a chance to d-mail my dear friends like I did in the past!

(Zone 1)

Hey ya Nan ... I don't post as much as I did in the past ... been a busy past six months with family stuff and now that the weather is great I spend many hours outdoors.

Gosh, I had no idea there was a new pothos variety. So far I haven't seen it in stores even the ones who carry rarer plants.

Anchorage, AK

Thank you for posting this! I purchased on a month ago. When I was told it was a Pothos I was amazed. They didn't know the name though. Yay!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I realize this is an old post but I saw these at Lowe's and there actually wasn't a real name on it, just said something about pothos and was described as pearls and jade. It seemed like it might be fussy so I left it, wasn't really sure if it was a pothos.

Susan

San Antonio, TX

I agree with Susan. Lowe's had a bunch of these and they are Pothos. The leaf is not thick enough to be either a Peperomia or a Hoya. I almost bought it when I saw it there but I had too much in my cart already. Im hoping it will still be there when I return.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.