Bermuda Grass

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

I am sure there is a more appropriate place to post this, but ... here goes.

I know my plants, but I don't know my lawn. AT ALL.

I think this Bermuda grass, and the pictures below are of my front yard, south facing, in Texas. Hotness will be coming very soon.

The lawn care people - who we let go, for economic reasons, were re-consulted and we were told the grass was dead. There are weeds pushing up through. We don't treat with herbicides, and I have been pre-occupied with my veggie garden and my flowers to deal with it.

So

(1) Is this grass dead?
(2) Do we need to re-sod?
(3) If it is only mostly dead (see Princess Bride), will it come back without us trying to find the money to re-sod?
(4) Can you oversow Bermuda?

Thanks
WJ

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

second photo

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Looks like some of it is dead and some is still alive.

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Smokey (or anyone else), what do you think will come of this? Shall I try to nurse it back to life? Plans? prognosis?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

I's next to impossible to kill bermuda. It does not like shade, but other than that, once the night time temperatures get above 50 degrees it should start comming back. I would cut it short so the soil warms quicker. Lay down some manure which is inexpensive and give it plenty of water for a week or so to give it a jump start. Once it gets going, it will spread and fill in the bare spots.

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

jkochan,

thanks - that's what I surmised, but wasn't sure. I had an area of bermuda that I dumped topsoil on, for my garden. Used a bobcat to move the soil around, and scraped the bermuda down to the clay.

It is back without a problem now.

Manure and water, eh?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Any good balanced fertilizer will work, but manure and compost will enrich the soil for long term improvement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.