New homeowner and Zoysia grass

Hello,

I tried searching for information on zoysia grass using the search function but couldn’t find anything relating to my issue. Please excuse me if this has been covered before!

My wife and I purchased our first home towards the end of summer last year. We live in Orange County, CA. Our front yard looks to be in dire need of help. From what I can gather we have zoysia grass. Not sure what variety. It has overgrown because the previous owner, according to our gardener, refused to have it mowed after they put it in. This is a problem because it is starting to grow beyond the boundary of the lawn and two, my wife hates how it looks. We have discussed removing it, but upon further research it seems that removing it is easier said than done, because it can easily come back? My gardener said he can fix it starting at $300 minimum. Does this lawn just need a good cut with a manual mower and then a thatch or is it too far gone at this point? Thanks for your any help!

Thumbnail by RyanBennett Thumbnail by RyanBennett Thumbnail by RyanBennett
Jay - NE - , OK(Zone 6b)

Scalp it to the ground. Mow it back low as it stats to re-grow. then mow as normal, and you should have a beautiful lawn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.