Wax leaf vine identification

Spring Branch, TX

I made a bad mistake this winter (south Texas) and lost a vine I have had for about 30 years. I never knew the name. We just called it “the family plant” because we originally got it from my wife’s cousin, long since passed. The leaf was oblong and pointed, dark green and thick and waxy. Sometimes speckled but I don’t know if that was the plant or me mistreating it . It produced very long (18-24”) runners that started out completely bare and then leafed out. Two leaves from the same joint opposite each other every couple of inches. It also would produce some very small flowers that were together in a semi shaped ball. Light color with tiny dark (maybe dark red centers). Got to find it and replace it because as I said before it was from my wife’s cousin that she grew up with and were close and get out of the dog house. Can some one help me (I am dumb as dirt when it comes to plants) and looking on the internet at pictures of vines haven’t been able to find it. Thanks for your help. Have a great spring and summer.

Spring Branch, TX

lol what a fool I am. I was telling my neighbor about this and she said. “That was a wax plant or Hoya. There are about 50 varieties.” So now all I have to do is figure what variety. She said from what she remembers probably Hoya carnosa. I am sure you folks out there probably know too.

San Francisco, CA

Yes, it does sound like Hoya carnosa. I bet someone in your extended family got some cuttings of it at some point and might be able to give you some as well.
If not, it is not a rare plant, so check your local nurseries and houseplant stores.

I also want to know that.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2024 5:20 AM

Spring Branch, TX

Thanks Vestia. I found Hoya Carnosa, but since there are so many different Hoya varieties I might not have found the same plant that I had but Ii will have to do. Thanks for your interest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.