Colorado Springs Seed/Plant Swap

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Hello all! I'm new to Dave's Garden and haven't had many bites on my trade list on DG. Is there a plant/seed swap anytime soon in the Colorado Springs area? If not, I'm willing to attempt to start one up. Maybe 2x/year? All I know of is the May plant sale that art_in_garden posted. I think I'll email her since I see her name pop up here and there. Thanks! Arlene

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Arlene, and welcome to the RM Gardening Forum. I'm a recent addition to this forum (but an old timer on the SW Gardening Forum, moved here last October). This group is spread out all over, from Canada to New Mexico, and all points in between. The only get together I am aware of is the DBG sale, but I'd love to expand that. Problem is distance for most everyone, no matter where we have it. I'll look forward to hearing from the "sages" here...

Brenda

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Welcome Arlene303. I'm pretty new here too, and to flower and vegetable gardening. I haven't really started using the plant/seed swap feature but I did see that some of the items you want I have seeds for (Gaillardia 'Burgundy' and 'The Sun' and some red/white and pink/white Columbine). Of course, some of them I'm not having much luck growing myself. I'd be happy to share some but unless you decide to come to the Denver Botanical Gardens event, I'll have to mail them to you.

BSavage: Thanks! in lieu of Colorado Springs for a live swap trade, how about meeting for breakfast before the big Denver Botanical Gardens (DBG) sale Saturday May 9? That'd be an easy first-run attempt at live in person trade, plus it'd be fun to meet other DG'ers.

kTalia: Thanks! I have seeds to trade including Acai, Cosmos, Sylvia, Baby's Breath, etc, and can bring them to breakfast before DBG sale Saturday May 9 if that works for you. We can D-mail from here on out instead of post to this thread, but I'd like to drum up interest for BREAKFAST Saturday May 9.... restaurant open to suggestions, preferably close to DBG. Cheers, Arlene

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I think we have a get together after the DBG sale if I'm not mistaken...

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Check this thread for more info on the DBG thing. I'm not sure things are finalized, but there's work in progress for getting together.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941499/

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene, welcome from a Weed in the RMG forum. ;-)

a few of us from other western mountainous areas decided this region was close as Dave's comes to our local climate so we are hanging out with the other mountaineers.

I did just look at your lists and have nothing you are asking for, sorry. I feel sure you'll get some interest soon, though. And if you have wants that you hope to get some attention for you can always post on the Seed Trading forum, people seem to respond quickly over there.

ciao,
Kyla

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sadly, though a Rocky Mt. Forum regular, I rarely save seed. But you will find lots of people with seed at the DBG after sale lunch -- to which you are totally welcome -- well I am not the hostess, but we always think the more the merrier. I will look at your seed list eventually and see if I can come up with some of them after I return from a 1 week trip starting tomorrow.

bsavage, kTalia, pajaritomt: Great info on post-DBG swaree. I've read the link and will drive from C.Springs so I could carpool the motorhomers to DBG, and will post there shortly. Thanks.

Kylaluaz: don't know how I missed the seed trading forum; thanks.

On-out, completed this thread. I appreciate everyone's input!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've not had much success with the DG trade lists. I've found a couple people who had things I've wanted and wanted things I had. No response. There is a seed trading forum as well, but seems the social contacts here yield more trading.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh it's sad you had no response, Dave...... I bet those offers were old, maybe.

I have bought stuff and had to chase people down from here but most people are so responsive and kind!

I guess people learn who is a reliable seed trader and who isn't.

Arlene, don't know why I did not think of this sooner but I guess you saw the Free Seeds for Newbies thread in the Seed Trading Forum? It seems to be a great success though I myself did not take advantage of it..... partly I think because you kind of take pot luck although you can make requests it is up to who donates what.

Robin who is running that now is a great gal.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have done a reasonable amount of trading, but most of it on the Rocky Mt. Forum or Iris Forum. It's funny, I get more swaps going with people I am chatting with on the forums than on the trading lists. Also, I am very bad about mailing things on time so I kind of backed off of posting things on my trade list. Lots of people want them, then I have more trips to the PO. I would rather make PO trips for people who I know from chatting.
But if you really want to trade with someone send them a dmail. It usually takes a dmail to get trades going, I have discovered.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.