Swap Ric & Holly's Food Thread

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes they do!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Oooohhh - the tzadziki will be perfect for them :-)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Exactly what I was thinking too Becky.

Crozet, VA

Yummy!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I was just popping in to see what was on the menu ...

MIATA!!! I nearly fell over when I saw that you are making spiedies! I grew up in the land of the Spiedie Fest & Hot Air Balloon Rally. I have made - and eaten - many a spiedie in my lifetime. If I may be so bold ... having a little bit of a hard crust on that Italian Bread is a good thing (not too soft). We usually served ours on slices of bread from Jim Roma's Bakery. ;p

I will be thinking of you all this weekend - have a blast!

PS Locals tend to marinate the meat for at least 2 or 3 days, in spite of what the Lupo's site says.

This message was edited May 13, 2009 10:31 PM

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wrightie, I can't believe you've heard of them. It's been swimming in marinade in the fridge since Tuesday. I've found it's definitely better with at least a 3 day soak. I'll have to try the crusty bread. My neighbors told us they always use the cheap soft italian off the shelf. Sorry you won't be there to try some. Hope you can make it to one soon. Miss 'ya!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ah, that's great! In my family, we would typically have them soaking fro 3 - 5 days. I grew up one town over from Binghamton, so spiedies are very much a part of 'my culture'. heh

The Lupo family had several real deli's once upon a time, and if we didn't make our own, that's where we'd buy them (either from the Vestal or Endicott locations), but times have changed.

Now ... About that tzaziki on the spiedies ... lol ... in my heart, I believe that that would be sacreligious, but my head tells me that it would likely be delicious. However, I'd probably only put it on them if the meat came out on the dry side. When the meat is juicy and flavorful, all that's needed is that great Italian bread. Okay, I'm stepping off of my spiedie skewer now.

I will be at a dog show in VA this weekend and sorry to miss yet another fun swap. Looking forward to seeing the post-swap updates. ;)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Rick said the same about the tzaziki sauce, but if you think about it, they kinda do remind you of an italian version of souvlaki. He's stuck on the soft cheap bread too, LOL. I'm grilling the meat on Friday, so hopefully it won't be dry for Saturday. When I make them at home I always make enough for leftovers and they are still great the next day. I'm not a "speidi purist" ^_^, so I'm goin' to try some with the sauce and I'll let you know. Good luck at to you and Zeb at the dog show!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, I have a couple of Salton electric warming trays (like rectangular hot plates designed to go under casserole dishes), one small one (would fit a 9x13" casserole) and one double-sized one. They'd need an outlet handy, or I could bring an extension cord.

While I don't think they're needed for anything I'm bringing, I thought I'd offer to bring them if you thought they'd be useful for anything else on our bountiful buffet. Let me know.

:-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

All this food is making me hungry! Here it is right out of the oven, the house smells wonderful.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Miatablu - I saw your post about the Spiedies and I immediately called my best friend. She grew up in NY and she and her husband have told me many times about spedies. And they get this faraway look in their eyes when they're talking about them....
I'll definitely have to try one!

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll bring a dessert - not sure what yet (I'm a last-minute kind of girl). You can never have too much dessert!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm going to bring beer bread and spinach dip.( and a dessert)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly: Is there anything in particular you need? I'm happy to fill in any holes -- just let me know.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

LadyG, that looks wonderful, we can almost smell it here too! Have a safe trip :)

Jen.... my favorite beer bread and spinach dip!

Wish it was just a short commute for me, I'd bring some other goodies, but can't take a chance on anything perishable.

Wind, Thanks, it is not your ho hum soda bread. Hubby could eat half a loaf before I know it. I'll have to keep a close eye on it till we get there. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, yes bring your warming trays they may come in handy.
Ric and I have been talking about the food. We think we will keep most of the food inside. That will help keep flies away, although it won't be as visible as it would if we had it outside. We have big sliding doors that go outside to the back yard so it will be handy. Drinks and maybe a few snacks will go outside in the Gazebo.
We had been talking about the weather on one of these threads. Our paper had said sunny/warm with a few clouds. Now it is saying possible rain late in the day. Hope it holds off till we are done. It's also coming in from the West which means that there is a good chance it will skim by us on the other side of the ridge. XXXing fingers.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Punxie Phill said he will do his best to favor this outing. That cost me a few bucks but he's on our side.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

I also have a large warming plate with a "hot spot" at one end......I can bring it if you want me too.....Please let me know on this! You should know how many hot dishes you have coming.....Mine will both be COLD!
Question----If I want to have some wine--I need to bring it--right???? I like to sip wine....

OK! I am bringing both of my Patio Umbrellas (8'-9') and the stands.....SOOOO heavy! Cast iron!!! If it rains...we can all huddle under them.....They both tilt.....
Never mind the plants!
I also have a beach umbrella---it attaches to a beach chair.....have NO idea how that works. have never used it. I will bring that too......

GOOD IDEA to have the food inside!!!! Really!!!! Besides making people circulate more--it will also keep the cold--colder, and the hot--hotter for a longer time. NO bugs works for me too!

OHHHH--one day to go!!!!

Holly! How far, time wise, would you say it is from NE Baltimore Co.??? Around White Marsh???? I will be driving by myself....maybe, catching up with Sally and following her at some point off of I-83.
Did you send people more detailed directions....maybe? Me too...Me too.....

See ya! Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...so I'm just now reading this thread...my bad, I know. It dawned on me though that my cooler is not going to hold enough drinks to keep 40 (?) folks hydrated. I realize I'm being ubber lazy (not to mention last minute) but has anyone else signed up as well for drinks? I will bring as many will fit and possibly some extras in a bag...sadly this all just crossed my lame brain.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm signed up for drinks, too, Chantell. No worries! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, Yes there are several people bringing drinks, soda, beer and Gita, I have some white wine, just cheap box wine but I like it.
There are only a few hot dishes so Critters warming trays should be enough. The patio umbrellas will come in handy.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

My "domestic godess" is lending me her 10x10 pop-up tent & I am bringing a folding card table for whatever! ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Whew....ok...I feel better now. So glad for the organizers in the world....I simply was not blessed with that attribute.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

chantell- you have a *few* other good qualities, that's why we keep you around LOL!!!
I better go to my plant list and add table, chairs, tea, veg...before I forget. It's like when I pack for a trip. --If I get ready too early, I start to obsess and add more things tothe suitcase.=, only now its plants.

Holly/ Gita--it should be no more than about an hour north of Timonium where we plan to RAHN--DAY--VOO. I have maps, directions and an instrument-rated private pilot to get us there!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally ^_^ hugs!!
Ok...I'll be bringing Pepsi products and bottled watered

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some extra lemons....can anyone use some for something?

Sally--for your tea??? I can even slice them up.....

G.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lemons--sure! I'm making brewed, unsweetened, a gallon thereof.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The Monkey Bread is ..................well it is Monkey Bread. I Monkey about making it with a few secrets. You lick your fingers and be the Monkey getting the final lick. Not telling. You have to wait and do the munchie to find out. This one is my special made from a sourdough base.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Doc - I'm salivating here!!! Sweet and Sourdough....YUM-MEEE

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Getting the grill ready for the spiedies.

Thumbnail by miatablu
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Spiedies on!

Thumbnail by miatablu
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Spiedies done!

Thumbnail by miatablu
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

mouth watering... and I love monkey bread!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yum! Miata, are you bringing a cooler for them or should I bring one of ours up from the basement to take along? (And not really food related, but please feel free to bring your folding table again... I'll wait to pack boxes into the car until after you arrive tomorrow.)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Tzadziki has been made & it is NOT for the weak of heart - bring breath mints!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nah, it'll be fine as long as everybody has a taste!

Running out of time... Jim will be cooking pasta in the morning for me... I'm going to bed!

Crozet, VA

I now have a better idea of whose cooking I was eating. Everything that I tasted was really deluxe. I was inside when Wind showed up and she put on a beautiful show of her culinary gifts. I didn't get any of the rich looking dark fudge cupcakes, but they were very beautiful.

Thank you to those who brought the sodas that I partook of. It must have been Chantell's and Sally's coolers that I made several trips to. Thank ladies.

As always, everything was yummy. Gita, I had several of your pickles and they were truly tasty.

Thank you to all who made this a really great day.

Ruby

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I loved the Spiedies by the way... I agree with the other thread we need a recipe thread!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.