Florida Chit Chat - Part 125 - Everybody Welcome

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/973569/

I had a picture here, but it didn't post - now I can't find a way to put one in!

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 8:21 AM

Here's one:

Alpinia japonica

Thumbnail by skaz421
Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Cool Alpinia. That's one of your new plants, right? Is it fragrant?

f4f,

I have the plant, but the picture isn't mine.

From what I've been told, it'll be a couple of years still until my plant looks like the one in the picture.

Steve

Tanja,

I saw something pretty funny at the festival yesterday.

There was a cat there, lying next to one of the garden's beds. I glanced at the sign next to where the cat was laying - it said "Catnip".

I wished I had brought a camera.

Steve

Thumbnail by skaz421
Saint Petersburg, FL

Steve,

That picture made me laugh out loud! Where was it taken?

Carolyn - don't know - it was sent to me by a friend who lives over on the east coast.

Steve

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve,
The list doesn't seem to address Reclaimed Water. I'll have to check my city website.

OK - just checked and here is our limits for reclaimed water currently:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
RECLAIMED WATER RESTRICTIONS
Applies to City of Pinellas Park reclaimed water users
In the City of Pinellas Park, RECLAIMED WATER may be used 7 days a week
WATERING TIMES are limited to 4:01 p.m. to 9:59 a.m.
NO RECLAIMED WATER may be used from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 9:27 AM

Jan,

I didn't post all the information - too long.

There is a section that talks about reclaimed water. The restictions aren't as severe, as I remember.

You have to dig around the web sites to find it.

Steve

Good morning all, and a very Happy Easter!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve, that picture is wonderful with the alligators. :) Must be sunbathing. :)

I think there are three kitties who live at the gardens. Pretty bright to find their way there. I grow catnip for my kitties too.

Tanja,

This cat looked to be a little long in the tooth - don't think it was a kitty. I guess the kitties have to come from somewhere.

Steve

I asked the sender (she's a wife of a cousin - what does that make her? Second cousin?) where the picture came from.

She got it from a friend, who got it from a friend, etc.

Sorry.

I would imagine it must be from the southern part of the state. Everglades, maybe? Just a guess.

Steve

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy Easter everyone Paul

Thumbnail by phicks
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I think the the picture is taken at Shark Valley.
http://www.sharkvalleytramtours.com/
There is a one way road that loops around and it is not much wider than the tram. We took our bikes down there once. It was really neat but kind of scary as there are alligators everywhere and when the tram comes you literally have to pull over so the tram can pass.

toy,

It looks wonderful there. Somebody has to go find that sign!

Steve

Stuart, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Easter!

I decided to spend the morning planting more of "those in waiting". Decided where the rose bush should go, started digging, and hit the sprinkler pipe with the shovel.

Got that fixed - but didn't manage to plant anything.

Has someone called the plant police on Dale yet? Is there a reason you're murdering poor innocent plants other than you're tired of them?

Dixie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Dale could send them up here to me. I love those flowers!!! LOL

Sandy

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve,

All kitties from new born to 20 are kitties (kittens) to me. :) Rafters has to be at least 4 or 5. The orange/brown male is a couple years old.

Tanja.

Too hot out there - work for 20 minutes or so in the sun, come inside and cool down a bit.

What a glorius day. 77, breezy and partially sunny. Have the house open and it smells so fresh and airy.

The family came and we ate a lot. Grandkids went home with enough Easter candy, and now the parents will have to dole out. Working outside this afternoon, had some more bulbs to get into the ground. Everything is coming back beautifully. All the bulbs we planted in the last couple weeks have already broken through.

Peonies are now about 10 in high and growing quickly. Will keep the updates coming.

Hope everyone had a beautiful Easter.

Question:

What is the name of the tall/slender evergreen with the very soft greenery? They can be shaped. For the life of me, I can't think of the name.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.catchadrip.com/

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can someone tell me what this is? Thanks

Darla

Thumbnail by Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL

Just popping in quickly! I have been BUSY today!---planted 120 bulbs, planted about 18 of my survivor plants, repotted plants that were root bound and repotted/planted plants I got from Donna yesterday, mowed, weedeated, moved alot of pots that were in my ICU area behind my greenhouse frame, moved the greenhouse frame and have a plan for it. Just finished watering all the gardens by hand I started early and just came in awhile ago to take a shower and take my pork roast out to get dinner ready. Also spent some time with the birds today--Zazu gets better daily!! he gets on my hand, then my shoulder and then tries to get my glasses, rings and watch off! I did get zazy on one hand today and Missy on the other for a brief period, but she is still skittish. They are happily eating right now as well as my kitties --Now it's my turn! Going to eat and relax and get an early nite to bed

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!

Linda

Found the problem with the Bulbine. It had grown so big, it was trying to grow on top of the weed block. Sure wasn't working for it. Got it all dug up and split apart and putting it directly into soil only. It actually looks very pretty all spread out.

Jacksonville, FL

YIKES!!! Looks like Virginia Creeper! Get rid of it immediately!! Extremely invasive! I battled it on southside and it IT WON!!
Right along with the air potato vines!

Jacksonville, FL

Rhonda
Do you have some seeds of the "touch me nots"? I would like to get some growing over here. The "babies" said to tell you HI!!

Linda

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Virginia creeper is native to Florida. It's fruits are highly sought after by many birds. It can grow very quickly, though. Its scientific name is: Parthenocissus quinquefolia.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I like virginia creeper and let it grow on my trees like the cypress. Beautiful red.

Jacksonville, FL

It will not only take over your yard--you may get reactions from it like you would with poison ivy---I broke out with a severe rash when trying to eradicate it and it literally made me swell up and get very sick to my stomach along with the rash and itching. I do NOT recommend this to be in your yard!

I have plenty of seeds. And, you sure can have some.

Been having fun this afternoon.

Here are some pics.

This one is a Maria Stern

Thumbnail by irishsoul

And, here is a Curly Pink

Thumbnail by irishsoul

Finally, our Red Climber that didn't have a single Rose last year. It has so many buds.

Thumbnail by irishsoul
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Those are all very pretty Irish. Thanks for showing them

Darla

When we moved the Bulbine, we now have empty spots where they were. Gosh darn, had to order some more Rose Bushes to fill in the space. Hubby was like, you did that on purpose. I explained we didn't want all the Bulbine to die and isn't it a great place for more Roses. His answer "Yes Dear" LOL. We sure do have fun gardening.

Caught a picture of a young Golden Osprey (I think, I'm not the greatest at bird ID). It was calling to Mum and Dad that were circling over head.

Thumbnail by irishsoul

Great picture. It is just Osprey no golden in the name.

I get 11 of my Tomato plants potted into the 7 gallon pots. Only have 7 more to go. LOL
Flower bed is coming along.
Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

Thanks Sandy for the real ID. Nice to know what is flying over your head.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks Steve! Someday, I will go find that sign.

Mistress, I agree on the Virginia creeper, extremely invasive. My neighbors let it alone and it keeps creeping into my yard, no matter how much I rip it out.

I do know that it has some wildlife value, but I've tried to replace it with other wildlife friendly plants.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I felt so honored a month or so ago driving out of my neighborhood, and an eagle flew over my head. (And it really was an eagle, not an osprey). :) That is the third eagle in a year I have seen within 3 miles of my neighborhood. And I live very close to the intersection of 75 and I-4.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.