Managing Menacing Roosters:

Richmond, TX

True Araucanas are rumpless. Some people call other breeds/crosses Araucanas that are not purebred and will be variable in their breed characteristics.

Laie, HI

There is a comment way up top about neutering dogs to become calmer. Apparently you can neuter a rooster too. An Italian lady on Rick Steves radio travel show was talking about how they used to castrate a rooster to fatten him up for their traditional christmas dinner. Who knew!

I see the cock fighters carry their roosters tucked under their arms....as referred to above.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Have you never eaten capons? Maybe not as common today as years ago but anyone who grew up with a neighborhood butcher shop probably had capons available. I buy capons several times a year. They might be labeled "roasting chicken" at 6-8lbs but are expensive so usually labeled as capons. They take longer to finish, have more fat and richer flavor than your average chicken. You've maybe eaten them and not known.

Richmond, TX

Interesting! I thought that capons were no longer available.

Almost impossible to find fresh and crazy expensive at almost $5 a lb. It's because they take about a year to grow out. Now that they can feed chickens magic potions to make them big in no time it's a specialty food for those who appreciate the meat. They have been available here by special order from Whole Foods around holidays. There's an online company or two that ship. I've gotten them from a specialty butcher shop that also carries fresh duck, pheasant and goose and at a farmer's market.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2017 8:26 PM

Richmond, TX

Capons used to be produced by endocrinology. A capsule of stilbesterol was implanted in the rooster's head to overcome the effects of his testosterone making him fatter and more tender. Someone decided that this caused cancer so any current capons have to be surgically created - more costly.

So you're saying it was mind over what mattered to the rooster? What next? I do believe the ones I have purchased were mostly, if not all, surgically castrated. So, when you said you didn't think they were available, I was wondering if that meant capons were the new veal and it was a humane issue. Which led me to wonder...would I rather live five weeks as a female fryer or ten to twelve months as a eunich rooster?

Gained untimely discharge can foster after a time of typical discharge. It is typically because of another issue like execution uneasiness, summed up tension, stress, erectile brokenness or relationship issues. Liquor and sporting medications can aggravate untimely discharge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.