Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

To continue...
A hitchhiker on my camera bag...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Are these bluebells? I'm not sure...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Those look like Hyacinth blooms to me--i am pretty sure of it!

Thanks Wild-Rose for moving this on......

My daughter is holding a hyacinth, but the other blue flower is not. It's too loose and free flowing.
Let me find another photo of it...

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Wild Rose - it's definitely Virginia Bluebells - Mertensia virginica. I have grown them for years. Mine are almost ready to bloom - the last few warm days really made things zoom!

Barb

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Forgot to ask in the last message - Wild Rose - do you have a name for that beautiful daffodil (from Chatham's garden?)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll start new threads when you see fit please....cuz if left to me...I don't keep track so well...ugh. Thanks Gita & Karen! Good job Karen doing the whole link to new and old thread - helps folks keep track....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd say spring is no longer peeking... spring has sprung!

loving all the photos... need to get out tomorrow and take some of my own to share. :-)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh brother, now I have to keep both threads open so I can remember what I wanted to comment on! LOL

Happy, where have you been? I haven't "seen" you much lately but good to see you posting :)

Chris, I so envy you with Delphiniums, especially Black Knight! I used to have spectacular Delphiniums in Maine but alas, they just don't like it here :( Love the Daffodil from Chatham's. We've got a lot more blooming here but I've been so bad about taking any pictures :(

Holly, glad to hear your Dutchmen's Breeches have finally shown themselves :) Your Hellebores are beautiful - isn't it fun to come back home after a break and see everything that's popped while you're gone? :)))

Critter, you're right, no more peeking, "Spring has Sprung"! LOL My daughter called this weekend - she was so tickled - she heard the spring peepers at her new home last week. Her DH didn't understand what was so special about it but she said it brought back memories of "home" :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Va WildRose--that is a precious picture of your daughter holding hyacinths. And grape hycinth was correct on the other picture too.
This surprised me- these things are NOT orange, but I took the picture late in the day and I guess the expoaure made the color too red- my hand is not that pink either. I haven't mastered correcting color.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, I love those! What sort of daffs can I offer you in return for a handful of those pretty frilly doubles? There's a selection out there... :-) Oh, and I promise I haven't forgotten about peach DLs and irises... my marker for the peach DLs disappeared though (this summer I make a map!), and I'll have to send you the irises later this summer (I hear survival isn't great on irises dug in spring). (Did I send you irises after last summer's sale? if not, there might be a potted one out there for you... will check! Sheesh, sieve-brained this morning.)

Daylily... no I don't know the variety name of the daffy in the one picture.
They did not have any of there plants labeled.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Look at your baby Daphne, Debbie...doesn't she look wonderful???
Wooo-whooo another out of focus pic...sheesh

This message was edited Apr 7, 2009 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

and your Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk' - look how great this sweet baby is doing?!?

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

AND...the amazing never dying Euphorbia Chameleon - can't even tell ya'll how tickled I was to see this coming back up when I thought it had gone to plant heaven.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Is this little red eyed Euphorbia a cutie or what? Bec shared with me last year...forgot to check the tag for a name though...my bad

Thumbnail by Chantell

Happy to share these dafffs- but disclaimer- they are crowded and you should be sure to help them when you plant. AND I think I've read that double daffs are more sensitive to their site so may not always bloom nicely. These are better this year than I recall. They often 'blast' Then again, I don't make any effort to fertilize these and they've been in the same spot a long time. I had given up on them and left them to benign neglect. But despite all that, I will be happy to divide the best clumps and share!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I need a Pitty Party, here is my spring peeking picture for the day.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG...this weather is crazy the past 45 days or so!!! Moment of silence for Chris....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

If anybody is going to have snow it's LadyG. We had a very quick flurry blow thru, no snow on the ground.
Buttoneer, That is strange with your Dutchman's Britches. Mine come up every year in the exact same place. They have multiplied but not much and they have been there about 25 years. In the last couple of years one small new group has started near the main group. I do try to be very careful when digging in the area near my DB not to disturb them. Maybe in your planting you are relocating them somewhat?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been out and about this afternoon... every so often, there were some white things blowing around... I did my level best to pretend they were all cherry blossom petals! LOL

LadyG, I'm sorry... hopefully most of your lovelies will bounce back (daffs are generally unfazed by crazy weather).

ladyg- you should see this spring humor post
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971833/

And here's my artistic attempt shot of the day

Thumbnail by sallyg
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

NICE Sally - you done good

Sally, Yep, I saw that spring humor post post before, those poor deer.
They said we had 144 inches so far, that is outside the snow belt. Not a record yet, but still time to break it.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 8:05 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, that's just so lovely!

I was out erranding today, kept seeing bits of white stuff blowing around... I'm thinking, that had better be cherry blossom petals! But I knew it wasn't. Still, I am going to pretend I did not see any snowflakes. LOL

Jill, at first I thought you were referring to cottonwood seeds blowing around. LOL ( 2:04 am! what's up with that?)

Sally, I like you artistic take on the daff, that's what I love about digital, snap away, you never know what you will come up with.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I was up too late (just couldn't sleep) for somebody who still woke up before 8 am this morning. Ah, well. Maybe I'll nap with the cat this afternoon.

Today looks like a day for cherry blossoms, daffodils, hyacinths... I'd better get outside and look!

I hate most of my violets- they seed everywhere, but I can't bring myself to remove this clump thats in between rocks and right at the end of a path. Mother Nature put them there to remind me that they have their place in my little world.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Good morning! Chilly but pretty. Its funny how you can read posts from NW of us and know what the weather trend is for the next day. Works like a chram.
Would you like to guess if these are Corydalis lutea (the yellow Corydalis you shared 2 yrs ago) seedlings (I hope)? There seem to be a bunch in the right place for that.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Sally, love the violets, and the Black Walnut shell tucked under the leaves. Hope your seedlings are what you wish for, if they are yellow Corydalis, save the picture to place in plant files, I'm sure it will be a great addition to the file.
Well, I woke up to sunshine this morning, still snow on the ground but we are due for a warm-up, so all you south east of me get ready for a heat wave. LOL

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I took this picture of the Va. Bluebelles May 2, 2007 and last year, they were nowhere near this beautiful. They are not in my yard, but across the Conodoguinet creek from the North Middleton Park near my house. Talk about drop dead gorgeous.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a closeup. (Chantell, thanks for sending me over to this continuation)

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Violets are one of our lawn "weeds", just lovely. We also have dwarf clover to fix nitrogen and improve drought resistance, henceforth we don't weed and feed. We just enjoy, that is until the bees find the clover and Holly says "go mow, NOW". Ric

Just went out to take a pic of these Peonies coming up notice the Violets growing near by. I just love my Violets I do thin them out of the beds from time to time and give them away at swaps when I can. I guess it depends on how much space you have. Right now I have a lot of empty space to fill. Sally that is a lovely pic. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Such pretty pics...love those Bluebells

Buttoneer, That first picture of the Bluebells is sooooooooo pretty and interesting to look at. The exposed roots on the trees, the bark and the reflection in the water, not to mention that lovely blue.
I'd mark that one for the photo contest at DG in the fall. That is if you haven't submitted it before. ( I think there is a rule about that)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know, Sally.... those dark leaves look more like basil to me! But as soon as they get true leaves, you'll be able to tell.

Gorgeous photos! just breathtaking

Jill, great minds think alike, they look like basil to me too, but then we have basil on our brains. I potted up a few of my basil babies and set the pot near the kitchen window. Gently rubbing the leaves and taking in the wonderful scent.

Sally , we need a picture update as those seedlings change, please.

Got outside a bit this afternoon for a "garden tour" here is some of what I saw.

Love these tulip leaves

Here is the Black Knight Delphinium that surprised me the other day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.