Here we go again!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is blooming now. Last year we decided that this must be 'Asao' but I'm not sure.

Thumbnail by doss
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Asao' it does look like. Such a soft pink and large blooms!

Delaware, OH

pretty doss. very pretty.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Asao is beautiful. Spent the day yesterday going to various local nurseries. Came house with way to much stuff. Now today it's raining, I guess this is a good time to plant things while it rainy so I'll put on the raincoat.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Doss! Good to see you again!
"Asao" is a blooming magnet and must be a focal point in your beautiful garden.
This lovely lady has the most magnificent garden!
Please share some pictures of your garden with us.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's my blog
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/doss/
Let's see if this brings us back.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 1:24 PM

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

It took me to my own blog -- a great reminder to me to make new entries, but I can't see your garden.

Delaware, OH

same for me,but i haven't blogged here. took me to my own empty one.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

see if this works
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/doss/

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Takes me to your Garden Diary, not your blog, but I don't know which category you want us to click.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The garden diary is the blog. I know that it's confusing. Shirley just asked me to post photos of my garden (at least I thought she did) so I thought that it was the easiest way to do it. You can look where ever you'd like.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Doss, you have very nice vines. I am adding a few along.
If anyone would like to trade a couple I am looking for an extra of Niobe, Nelly Mosser and the blue cup shaped one. I cannot think of its name.
Check my classified ad and see if you find anything interesting.
Thanks,
Teresa

Delaware, OH

doss, the jap maples and iris are so nice. i think i was going to start a bog/journal her on dg and for some reason decided not to. i love your pool landscaping.
my iris i put in last year are up...but not as tall as a friends who have been in a few years. guess that is normal as they are just getting established. my friend mentioned hers were much slower and smaller the first year.
i love the "street garden" and convivial nature of it. we are in a more rural area and there are few nieghbors with out a drive of a mile or so. no one walks by. i would love that.
anyway it all looks good, esp that asao!

Delaware, OH

from high 60's to 40's today. a few clems budding up and i am going to nip them off , except for the really early bloomers guernsey cream, alpina odorato and markams pink.
just too early based on weather.

lots of april showers, will bring lotsa may flowers!

Doss: Love your garden! Thanks so much for providing a link to your blog. Love all your plantings, especially your Japanese Irises, Japanese Maples, Daylilys and of course your glorious Clematis! It looks like a very relaxing garden in which to unwind after a busy day!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Durandii blooming now.

Thumbnail by doss
Delaware, OH

doss, those durandii blooms are so classicaly perfect. i love them so much. they remind me of favorite, perfect demin jeans that are essential to life!
thanks for sharing. i can not wait till we are in bloom time. i put in about 20 clems today, all the gardens are ship shape and the weather is turning warmer tomorrow. we were 37 last night and tomorrow will be almost 80. i will expect some green wilted stems from all the variability, but no harm done and we are soon in the hunt here for blooms. love love love your durandii!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope that your clematis aren't hurt by the strange weather. We've had some of that too with temps in the 90's for a couple of days although it's cooled off now.

Delaware, OH

nope, will be permanent harm done. once in while a vine will collapse (green wilt) from the heat or the cold, but that is what makes them woody and hardy....thy have to learn to adapt!
i think we are in for a hot summer, from the sounds of it!

anyway, love love love you rdurandii and your asao!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad to hear that. You have a tough love approach for sure!

Delaware, OH

just noticed all my typos from last night....we speak and write bloguage around here.what ever is happening to the english language?

i have to have tough love approach with so many clems....it is like a girls school, orphanage, or large family with so
many clems to tend.
started off almost 60 today , will be a beautiful weekend that will have me outside a lot.rest of the clems not coming till first week may, but that will keep me from kiling myself out there.

Doss: "Asao" and "Durandii" are blooming magnets! Everyone is drawn to their simple beauty!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If you could only pick 5 to keep in your gardens, which ones would you keep? Just curious.

Baton Rouge, LA

What a great question, Bluegrassmom!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

bluegrass:

#1 (always) Liberation
#2 Pink Champagne
#3 Dr. Ruppel
#4 Omoshiro
#5 Nelly Moser

If we were allowed to select 6 I'd say Ramona.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, I've two out of those 5 mentioned. Thanks pirl. Question please. Does Ramona have somewhat a chocolate brown on her outer stripes? That looks lovely.

Here is a photo of it by Brushwood - I hope that helps.

Thumbnail by pirl

My photo of it.

I don't see the brown you're referring to but weather may play a part in it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Delaware, OH

pirl, pretty liberation photo. i love the foliage on liberation. mine went in last year, and i should have blooms in a month.
if i had to pick 5 they would be (todays thought, but i could never pick 5)
1. guernsey cream
2. piilu
3. ville de lyon
4. the president
5.john warren

here is john warren.

how about 5 small flowered and 5 large flowered? in that case here would be my small flowered list
1. recta
2. jouinana praecox
3. wyvale
4. rubromarginata
5. my angel

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Huldine"
"Empress"
"Voluceau"
"Mme Edouard Andre' "
"Venosa Violacea"

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Great Question.
1. Claire De Lune
2. The President
3. Princess Dianna
4. Florida Sieboldi
5. Liberation

(Zone 4a)

Pirl I think I remember you telling me in the past how Liberation was your favourite.....your photo of her is just gorgeous.....I can see why you love her.....now you have me thinking of more possibilities. LOL.....Is that one easy to grow? Fast grower?

Oh and I just love that photo of your Ramona on that obelisk!!! Just AMAZING!!!!

Guru Piilu is a high possibility on my list this year as well for my new tuteur.....how does that one grow? Is she a good grower?

Easy to grow and average growth. I bought it at the end of the season, on sale for $2.99, so it's triple the pleasure! It was even mislabeled (in a box, not a plant stick)!

Thanks. Ramona is a lovely match for the Obelisk.

Liberation does have a very large flower!

Thumbnail by pirl
Baton Rouge, LA

I only see two on that list that were not mentioned in my heat-tolerant search... Liberation and John Warren. Does anyone have info regarding their heat-tolerance in summer? Liberation looks so beautiful!

No matter how hot it gets I have never had a problem with Liberation. We normally only have 10 to 15 days that are 90 or above.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I only have a few but one is Ramona and she has lots of buds forming on a young 2 yr old vine. Mrs. Bateman or Henyi is my big white one. I am not sure. The other was sold as Gardener's Delight. I bought another one at Lowes this week :)
Thanks for the info, I will have some names to look for.
Teresa in KY

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Ville de Lyon is one of my favorites

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is planting them on wrought iron posts not a good thing. I have that on my front porch and I thought it would look nice climbing up it. I found a nice Rouge Red at Lowes.

Delaware, OH

love ville de lyon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.