My first modified Hoop greenhouse

Dahlonega, GA

Elf, my son is 52 . Over on Georgia gardening, there is a thread from eufala about meeting the sweetest people.There are a coupla pictures on there of me and family . I don't know how to add a picture on my personal website here on Daves digger

( Kris) Smiths, AL(Zone 8a)

oooppppssss, lol I guess I just feel old now due to problems from the car accident,,,sigh

Digger!!! we are practically neighbors!! I am going to read up on the GA gardening forum when I get back. I really really really want to try the straw bale gardening. I will d-mail you later. We were close to your house last year, we went camping up in the Cherokee area! See if I was on Daves Garden I would have meet you and we could have gotten together. I don't feel so bad about my hauling around my jugs of tea any more. Me and DH take Gatorade jugs, fill them half full of tea and freeze them, then when ever we need a drink we top them off and never have to use ice cubes,tea is always cold and never watered down,, We even freeze tea to take in coolers when on vacation,,lol,, talk to you when I get back from doc,,,,,

Dahlonega, GA

Well , I'm going on 71 and have always been a tomboy . I feel young and want to do a lot of things that I've learned the last few years ,b ut I don't have the energy or stamina to keep at it anymore . I've gained weight due to lack of exercise and that just compounds the problem. Cold weather and inside with the puter all day doesn't help. lol.Bad back , bad knees and small brain .I drop some of this weight I gained when I quit smoking in Feb. and I'll be hell on wheels again . ROFLMAO. You just keep pushing , and do it slow until your back to 100%. digger

Thanks Digger,, just got back and am totaly depressed....

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry you're depressed Elf. :(

Dahlonega, GA

Elf, how are you doing this morning ? Did the doc tell you that you were doing too much and he wanted you to slow down , and of course that wasn't an option? Time will heal .
Going through some of the threads , I see you are into crafts I'd love to learn .I'll ask lots of questions later, when your feeling better . digger

The Doctors have decided I am suffering from Disability Syndrome: here is bizzare thing I found on the net while trying to find out what this is:

The sick role inevitably provides secondary gains. It is often related to the desire to control one’s environment; it can:

1. elicit care, sympathy, and concern from family and friends;

2. provide financial awards associated with disability.

3. use an apparently disabling illness as an explanation for one’s failures;

4. afford the means of avoiding work ;

5. restore status or domination in the family;

6. achieve revenge for bad treatment or bad pay by an employer or an insurance company ;

There are therefore, many types of secondary gains, not just monetary reward: we can understand why some patients continue with symptoms after financial compensation.

And now I know I am just nuts, and / or out to get all of the above.....

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Elf, that sounds like something the doctor said to me when he couldn't figure out what was wrong after a year of tests. What a crock. Don't believe it for a minute. Finally a rheumatologist saw me and 10 minutes later gave me a name for it, and sure enough different tests confirmed it. Don't accept such a garbage diagnosis. You aren't nuts.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah, my DH ended up with some people at Vanderbilt University giving him the same carp because he kept ending up in the ER and ICU and they couldn't figure out why - turned out he had a fungal infection, diagnosed by the Mayo Clinic. Doctors do not like being wrong and worse - incapable.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Enjoyed this thread...

Quoted from Melissa "I have figured out though that the easiest way to get him to do something for me is to start it myself--because of course I can't do it "right" so he takes over. :)" that is an important wifely skill to learn!

Agreed, diagnosis is BS!

Well thanks for the nice commets and rmarks about doctors. I am just going to try to get back to my life and deal with it all day by day...
We are off to do strawberry pots this am,, DG is here and rearing to go,,, ahh to be young and entergetic again!!
Her is pic of my bestest girl..

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden
Dahlonega, GA

She looks like a fairy child . A wand and wings is all she needs. digger

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautiful!

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I can see her with as a princess with a tiara. Yes, to be young again. A little gardening and shopping will pep you up.

Did you say wings?

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

We did gardening today,,I donot know if this is what you mean by pep me up,, cause I look so fat and dirty tooooo,,,whaaaaaa

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Greenhouse update:

Kids at work:

ROFLMWO

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

greenhouse update:
this was on the 7th

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Elf, looks like it's going to a beauty of a GH!

Looks like you garden like I do on ocassion....on my hands and knees.

Dahlonega, GA

She looks beautiful in her wings. Where were those pictures taken ? What beach ? Kids look like you have loads of help . digger

Digger,, we go to Jeckyl Island every year!! I love it there. Have you ever been?

Dahlonega, GA

No , Our time away is spent in Texas every year . dh usually works when we get back home , but probably won't this year. We're only home about eight months of the year . digger

OK, when I go next year you have to go with me!! I go the last week in February every year!! Here is Driftwood Beach,, Stunning,, pics do not do it justice

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden
New York, NY(Zone 6b)

By being pepped up, I meant that it might energize you, I did not forget the car accident that you were in. Then your mind would not be on the MD visit that you just had. But now you have a greenhouse and a place to do your gardening with young helpers. It can help keep your mind busy. Just wait until you see some of the results in a few months. (I have a bunch of flower pots in the living room under bulbs. And I keep a eye on them every day. I receive a lot of pleasure just looking in the bags of soil I bought, along with the gardening supplies that are accumulating in here.) So keep the greenhouse photos coming and we at DG will encourage you.

Dahlonega, GA

OMG, that is beautiful! There is no way I can get with you in Feb . we stay until late March or middle of April . This year we came home early , middle of March . I would love to go and see all that , but we travel with 4 dogs, 2 cats , and a bird . lol . Be awful hard to find a pet sitter for this zoo .
When we go to Tex, we stay at my sons rental property .(It's the off season and we upgrade and do repairs while we're there) .digger

Dahlonega, GA

Torries is right , you just need projects to keep your attitude upbeat and stuff to keep you always doing things to intrest you .Being depressed isn't an option , life is to live and enjoy . we all have just so much time to get things done and I get irritated when I lose a day of not doing something I want to do . I just barrel on through to it . You can too , don't need to look outside yourself for anything . See how that greenhouse kept you going with plans for the future? Plans and projects , that's the key . digger PS . Doctors don't know from s- - - . lol

Humm,, lets leave all your animals with DH and we will just go for a weekend any time you want to go,,, hummmmm you drive,,, I will self medicate and sleep while you drive,,,lol

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Oh yeah,, you all do inspire me,, I have spent more time outside lately,, have to keep up with the Joneses (ooppsss I mean the Gardeners ), ya know?? lol

View of Green house from my deck.....

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Well we had 35 to 40 mile an hour gust this afternoon and it tore the plastic right off of the greenhouse. Did not hurt a single plant,,lol Need to figure out better way to keep the plastic on,, This is the windiest spring I can ever remember,,,,,

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh man, that is a shame, more work. I'm glad the plants are okay.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh...hate when that happens! Were you able to salvage the plastic? Maybe some kind of strapping tacked in place all around the edges where the wind could get to it. Glad the plants survived!

Elf, did you have both ends closed off with plastic??? Sorry to hear about the gust!

Well I thoght I had everything secure,, however I did not put plastic on the door so that is where the wind came in I guess. I am thinking about some kind of netting to hold it in place. Like I said this was unexpected and since I have never done this before I am sure all kinds of wierd things are going to happen.I am up for the challenge though, I AM GOING TO HAVE A GREENHOUSE,,,,lol

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

You go Girl! LOL!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Being able to seal it up will help, as will running straps over the top to prevent billowing. The heaving up and down works things loose.

I've just put up an 'official' high tunnel and here the wind can blow like the dickens on a sunny day. If I close it up, I think the plants are going to bake, so I've got strapping to run between each rafter to hold down the top.

Wind is a real challenge for these structures, that's for sure!
=0) Jay

ok.. will try that,,,

Wanted to let everyone know I solved the issue, also I got a shadecloth and misters installed so now it is just needing me to tke all the plants back out and paint all the wood. I made this so that it has removeable trays that I can just lift out and carry out to the garden when I am ready to plant, the trays fit on my little wagon so I am getting very organized here, at last.

Grand kids and Company are coming over Friday and are going to paint everything,, They want to paint all the wood either neon green or fire-engine red. I think they will end up with a nice soothing pale green,,,lol
I want to thank everyone for helping me with this, all advice has been greatly appreciated.
Kris

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Love to see a picture!
=0)

Oh, sounds like fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.