Llama shearing causing illness/death?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

HUGE gross-out factor!!! Something every 8 YO needs to know. =0) And I've always wondered how to spell loogi... LOL for my more professional correspondence, of course.

If the indigenous population couldn't domesticate guanacos, why did the station think it could? Or were they just trying to tame a few wild ones? Domestication is different...

A wolf pup can be tamed, but it's a big mistake to think it's domesticated.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

It can be done but it takes many years. In Russia at a black fox farm they started breeding for tameness, if I remember right it took 20+ years they get very tame foxes but found an odd side effect the foxes started to mutate-white spots, dropped ears, curd tails etc. At least with foxes the there are more off springs to choose from. It would be a lot harder to do it with a animal that has only one off spring a year.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I misspelled Loogie it's really .....Luggey

Sorry....to mess up such an important thing...

Ginger

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Exactly, Wren, there's physical changes that go with the selection process in domestication. I read a book on it a long time ago, and it's those changes, many of them structural, such as cranium size and leg conformation and length, that scientists look for when labeling a species domestic. There are nice bone records of the gradual changes in cattle, sheep, goats.

We can also see the differences in many of our domestic birds... chickens, turkeys, ducks... when compared to their wild cousins.

And some species are not inclined to being domesticated. Vicunas among them. There were indigenous peoples who lived in the same area and utilized those animals (hunting), but unlike the llama and alpaca they weren't successful in domesticating them. Although, and this is vague in my memory, the llama and alpaca may actually be descended from the guanaco... ??? Just like the Preswalski's horse is an 'ancestor' of the modern horse.

So by the time they'd domesticated those fox, they had something different than a real fox... a faux fox. =0)

No, I think loogi... lug-gey is how I feel after a late night.
LOL Jay

Clarkson, KY

I found it under loogey. Can't, however, find it in any thesaurus or come up with any alternative vocabulary.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You rely on BOOKS for your creative vocabulary?! Oh, cousin Grow, I'm sooo disillusioned...

Fie, I say, Fie! it appears my thesaurus was written by pigeons! There is no floogi, no loogi, no booger.

Where's an 8 YO when you really need one?

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 4:49 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The Urban Dictionary site agrees with Grownut.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LOOGEY

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Okay... I hate to admit this.. I know far more about camelids than I should.

There are 6 kinds of Camelids....
Dromedaries, Bactrians, Vicuna, Guanaco, Llama, Alpaca. There are less than 1000 Bactrians left. They've tried to cross Bactrians with Camels and had some success but the second hump is very small.

There was also some tried AI crossing of camels and llamas, called camas but they don't have humps.

Alpacas and vicuñas are in genus Vicugna. Llamas and Guanacos were separated out in 1800-ish into genus Lama.

Those along with the two true camels make up the Camelidae (even-toed ungulates)

They also have oval shaped blood cells that can double in size which is how they store water. They can drink over 100 liters of water in under 10 minutes if they've gone without for a while (I think something like 15-20 days)
and can hermetically seal their nostrils....and hawk a 1 lb luggey up to 10ft accurately..

Oh and Vicuna wool can sell for $500 a lb but you have to live in incredibly high places... to tap into that market.....

Now you have everything I remember about spitting furry creatures..

Ginger

Clarkson, KY

No, Jay. Don't jump yer donks-n- go ridin' 'fore ya know where yer headed...lol.

Couldn't for the life of me come up with a more socially acceptable term for that most socially unacceptable behavior. Seems the only option is for one (or preferably one's dromedary) to hock a loogey.

edited to say ---Dang!! Camelid!!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 6:07 PM

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Loogie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaOct 25, 2008 ... For the article on mucus (the nasal form of which "loogie" is a slang term), ... Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loogie"

OK I was right.... It was LOOGIE!!!!

Ginger

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Oh and my sister got a ticket once for getting out of her mini van and smacking a llama that spit on it while she was at a stop sign.

Someone took her license number down and animal control came to visit....

ROTFL>...

Ginger

Ok I found this I so love to do research.
"The llama and alpaca are only known in the domestic state,"

"Alpaca are descended from a wild vicuna ancestor while the domesticated llama is descended from a wild guanaco ancestor, though at this point there has been a considerable amount of hybridization between the two species."

So the llama and the alpaca where breed from the vicuna and the guanaco so that explains why there is no "wild llamas or alpacas" running around.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, handgrenades, horse shoes and me... it counts when you get close! Especially when the last time you heard anything about it was... hmmmm... over 30 years ago.

LOL

So a llama is to a guanaco what a horse is to a prezwalski's and a silkie is to a jungle fowl...

This calls for a celebratory loogie!

{{haaAAaaWk..... pi-TOOOO}} [in an appropriate direction]

Calm down.

Yes it makes sense as the animal changes during domestication, will in most cases as in dogs look at all the different breeds but look at cats there was not as much changes as I do not think they where ever really domesticated. LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The International Lama Registry, of which we are members, puts alpaca and llama and guanaco and vicuna into the "Lama" category. I should probably look up why they do that. There's something else in there too, which I have forgotten.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

My husband has certainly changed durring domestication....definitly rounder.

Ginger

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Cats have been domesticated for a very long time, I don't think their wild antecedent still exists. But they are hardly a wild animal. No one that arrogant could ever be truly wild! LOL

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 5:47 PM

That would be interesting, I wonder where I could found out more of the history of the llama . I love to look up info. Talk about boredom. I even spent one summer vacation when I was in school reading the World Book encyclopedia

Is there a web site that explain the different colors of sheep wool, with pictures????

This is the ancestor of the modern domestic cat
http://www.livescience.com/animals/070628_cat_family.html

Clarkson, KY

Fun info. Still looking for an adequate definition of that slang term from a few posts back. Not the same as mucus, Beadmom. Contains a much wider variety of substances. Of course I haven't researched cuds yet...hmmm...

Well I will leave that research up to you!!!!

I think I will go look up some rocket science-may not understand 1 word in 20 but it will be some thing to keep this old brain working. LOL

Clarkson, KY

Found. Technically the discussion was about the camelid behaviour of spitting a portion regurgitated cud (defined as partially digested stomach contents).

Clarkson, KY

Interesting that the cat pic should be of a marmalade color. isn't that hard to achieve in domestics?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I don't think spitting is allowed anymore. It offends the ladies.
Bye

Oh that reminds me about some thing I read. there is a book about one of the first Vet who worked for the Circus. He was the first to really start treating the wild animals was hired to care for the horses.. Once he was treating a camel and this guy helping him hold the camel was covered with the spit. He said with was very smelly and you would not believe how much it produced. Great book. I get a copy not long ago.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

"One of the worst habits of the camels is spitting. A distressed camel will spit a fetid stream coming from its first stomach chamber, especially when angry, frustrated or spooked, a real chemical bomb.

Camels can spit also as a method of establishing hierarchy, especially during the feeding time as a way of disciplining lower-ranked individuals in the herd. Females also spit to chase away insistent males. This second type of spit is less smelly"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-Amazing-Facts-About-Camels-68843.shtml

seibon du savoir=Good to know!

Ginger

Clarkson, KY

I would think it would be a better deterrent if the reverse were true...

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Sooo..is that why some guys use chew? To chase away insistent females? If so it works...
NASTY...

Ginger

Agreed. My Grandmother used snuff. Yup.

Clarkson, KY

I'd say there's a definite correlation. Worth investigating...

odd though that it should be found in the male of the species....hmmm...

Clarkson, KY

Well, dang. Rebuttal before I even posted. Wren!! {{sob}} About your grandfather...inquiring minds...how to phrase this delicately...

Lodi, United States

Isn't the current trend to postulate multiple origins for dogs and cats? Domestic dogs are now thought to be derived from different wolf (and possibly other canids) species at different times in different places.

Also, I think, if I remember correctly, that the relative ease with which canine structure can be modified through breeding, vs the inelasticity of the cat genome (extreme structural variation in cats seems linked to lethal outcomes), is due to the higher level of "homeobox" gene activity in dogs.

http://medical.webends.com/kw/Genes,%20Homeobox

Quick! Sombody cover me on this......

It was my grandmother and lets not go into it, it was a nasty habit. Yuk.

I agree about the lethal genes in cats. Take the Scottish Fold-the folded ear cats much be breed to a non folded cat or the kittens will die.. but there is "bad" genes in dogs to Take the Chinese Crested which was problems. You need to breed back to the so called powder puff dogs.

Lodi, United States

But there is so much variation in size and structure and even behaviour in dogs. You never see that in cats. My smallest dog is 20 pounds and my largest 120.....I am sort of glad cats don't get that big:0). I was reading and the crouching behaviour in Border Collies has been traced to a single gene. Weird.

Yes it is strange that the small Chihuahua and the great big Mastiff all came for a Wolf type ancestor. I am not sure what gene my crazy boy came from- but the puppies look a lot like the Europe wolf and like that wolf are born black but lose that color shortly after a they are born.

Thumbnail by wren107
Lodi, United States

Your dog is such a nice colour. I forgot, is it a Malinois? I have two black German Shepherds--but I have always liked brown or tan with black points better.

He is a Tervuren the long hair cousin of the Malinois in fact the Malinois can appear in the litter of Tervs. There are 2 other breeds in the Belgian shepherd breed. The black Belgian sheepdog and the wire haired Belgian Laekenois. The Black is dominant over the other 3 then come the terv and the mal and I think the Laek.

Cmoxon sorry for hijacking your thread. Enjoyed talking to every one-but my fingers are telling me that I have typed way to much to day. but kept my old brain cells working.

You know I think we should start a thread like some of the other forums where we all can just talk. I even have a good name for it. How about "Let's talk turkey" ???

Good night all.

Lodi, United States

I thought he looked too long-haired to be a Malinois--but I didn't know about the relationship between Tevurens and Malinois. I've seen the Laekenois on TV, but never in person. It is odd to see a wire-haired herding/working dog.

Yes but they where breed to guard the linen that was laid out in the fields to bleach.

The Belgian Shepard varieties where breed as all around working dogs. They guarded the farm as well as herding. They are line herders they where breed to keep the sheep and other animals with in the farm borders. That is way most of them are very respectful of fences. Andre is not one of those. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.