Flowering in April

se qld, Australia

Cestrum, I'm not keen on the taste of the red one myself. I've been eyeing off the Peanut Trees that are used a lot for landscaping around here in car parks etc, and the seeds are just beginning to fall now.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day All. What on earth is a "Peanut Tree? I reckon the Papayas smell like dog vomit and can't eat them fresh but the candied pieces I love.
Brian

West of Brisbane, Australia

I'm glad to hear that other people aren't crazy about papayas either, because everyone here seems to be. Even with orange/lemon juice squeezed over the top--or with fruit placed in the centre--still yuck.

The native peanut tree is Sterculia quadrifida. Not a real peanut, which is a vine, but apparently tastes somewhat similar. Apparently it grows easily from seed, so if you see a street tree with seed on it, go for it. Mine came from the council nursery. The spring flowers are supposed to be scented too. (Ironically, the papaya flowers are scented, only slightly for my bisexual plant but quite strongly for the single-sex plants. Still not enough to spare this one, though.) Check out the peanut tree at

http://www.brisrain.webcentral.com.au/01_cms/details_pop.asp?ID=200

I don't know if I'll like the taste but (1) I haven't grown it in Melb; and (2) it's not a papaya!

se qld, Australia

>What on earth is a "Peanut Tree? I

Welll, you know how regular peanuts grow under the ground? A peanut tree grows them like any regular nut, only they're the size of cricket balls (is my nose growing yet? lol)

No seriously, it sterculia quadrifida - an Aussie native rainforest tree.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Stictocardia getting ready to bloom

Thumbnail by brical1

Bougie Singapore pink

Thumbnail by brical1

Garlic Vine

Thumbnail by brical1

Blushing susie.

Thumbnail by brical1
Barmera, Australia

Thank you for the info on the "Peanut Tree" I hadn't heard the term before. I was starting to imagine this tree about 30 mtrs tall with all the bits hanging down to enter the soil and produce the nuts then after the nuts were harvested Tarzan would use them to swing through the rain forest.
Brian

barmera, Australia

You're a clown

Brisbane, Australia

Here's an orchid in my garden - I have no idea what it is.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
se qld, Australia

It's a Cattleya, Leisa - absolutely gorgeous.

Gisborne, New Zealand

Lovely lovely flowers,, Mya what plant is your Giesha Girl, the intense blue is lovely. Your Adenium is a picture and I can only say I did have a couple of flowers on mine this year and just be happy with that, I was just happy to get a couple of flowers this year.
I had another strange stapelia flower and another surprise was the queen of the night snuck in a stray bloom.
Lesley

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Queenie!!

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

Oh the perfume.

Thumbnail by Awchid
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Lovely pics all, nice orchid (love orchids) and Lesley, look at all the ants in your Stapelia flower!
Judy, your Blushing Susie reminds me of what we used to call Black eyed susan, a Thumbergia? What type of plant is yours?
Thanks Cestrum, I knew there was another name for Paw paw (Papaya) I like them filled with yogurt and bananas, and I have my first red one in fruit now

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Weed_woman, Don't worry about the ants but I reckon the white bits are either Blowy eggs or maggots.
Brian

Gisborne, New Zealand

Your dead right Brian, fly eggs is what the white bits are and the ants, It is doing what stapelias do best. The smell wasn,t too bad and the ants delt with the eggs. The bud was like a balloon. My 6yr old grandson was absolutely fascinated with it and he took the photo...
Lesley

Love your orchid Leisa.Sue,you are right, the 'Blushing susie' is a 'Black eyed susan',just a colour variant of Thunbergia alata.

Sydney, Australia(Zone 10a)

Talking of fragrant (or not so fragrant) flowers, I'm surprised noone else has posted Dracaena flowers. All the D. fragrans in our part of Syd bloomed the week before Easter. I have one outside my bedroom window and so I fell asleep to an amazing honey fragrance...

Thumbnail by netto

Welcome netto,I have to agree.I have one here and it has only bloomed the once(still recovering from frost 2winters ago)The fragrance so reminded me of the tropics.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello Netto, you have to be quick to see them up here. You go "whats that heavenly smell" and by the time you find the flowers they're almost finished! Nice pic.
Lesley, your grandson took a fabulous photo for a 6 yo. I didn't realise the flies laid eggs in them. I've never noticed it in my stapelias before, but maybe I need to get in a bit closer (wheeeeew)
Judy, from a distance I thought it was thunbergia, but when i looked closely at your pic, I thought it was something else. I've been struggling to grow Thunbergia mysorensis, which a neighbour has, eating her house, but I can't seem to get it to take off. Thats probably a good thing? never mind
Raining and blowing a gale here. I can't go to work and I'm devastated (said with no enthusiasm at all) he he.
have a nice day all. No flowers because the wind and rain have destroyed them all! Hhhmpf!
Sue

Hi sue you poor thing no work? I have gone out a few times between showers ...can't get too much done because it is cold.
My pink honey suckle has opened ...it usually flowers in spring so it is mixed up. I even have some Clivias blooming already ...not much sunshine this summer again.

Thumbnail by

Thanks for the welcome brical1 and weed_woman. The Dracaena flowers lasted about a week here - maybe because of the cooler evenings. It's amazing that the flowering of plants over several suburbs coincided within a day. How'd they do that?! I suspect they use twitter... http://twitter.com/pothos

@sue: My clivias have also been flowering for over a month. Go figure!

Sorry Netto ...I mean't to say hello and did you buy a lottery ticket for luck when your plant flowered (urban legend) ...I have never had the pleasure of it's fragrance myself.

The first congo parrot blooms from parrot lady's cuttings

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Chrissy, pink honey suckle, very nice! Is it the same as the common variety otherwise? Yes, lack of sun has started to affect the colour in the bromeliads and the vibrancy is starting to fade. A couple of my cliveas are flowering, but I live for the day when they all go at once, as I have a nice border of them around the gazebo. I did throw some nitrophoska about, but it hasn't helped the Cliveas. I wish i could chuck chook poo about as I used to, but you know? The dog problem!
Netto, I looked at your link, but forgive me, what on earth was that about? Me twitter ignorant.
Sue

townsville, Australia

i think this is a jasmine, my mum calls it a mock orange, the perfume is lovely, but i pull it out everywhere as weeds, i do however leave some of them as i love the plant.

Thumbnail by shelly61
townsville, Australia

My evobia does not realise that it is not suppose to flower now.

Thumbnail by shelly61

Hi chrissy100 - am I too late to buy the lotto ticket now? :(

@shelly61 - It looks like a Murraya paniculata, aka mock orange, aka orange jasmine, so both you and your mum are right!

townsville, Australia

thanks Chrissy

Thumbnail by shelly61
Brisbane, Australia

Welcome Netto!
Shelly, I wish we could post smells - my mock orange & others in the subrub have also been bursting with flowers & the most noticable thing: fragrance! They seem to do that after good patches of rain! It's just lovely!
Chrissy your pink honeysuckle is lovely - does it attract bees?

se qld, Australia

We had a mock orange growing here when we came so I dug it out and gave it to the neighbour - my head can't handle the smell.

Brisbane, Australia

Yes Pam, The smell "carries" a long way - I first noticed my neighbour's bush across the street years ago only by the smell, it took me a while to work out where the perfume was coming from.
I know this isn't a flower, but this cordyline is looking pretty at the moment. Leisa.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Christchurch, New Zealand

my garden is a constant surprise to me.
Many flowers still doing well despite several good frosts.
I think the nemesia has to be one of the best purchases I have ever made!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

white camellia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

2 days after raking all the leaves...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Yours Always, love this rose

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Beautiful pics Dalfyre, and great to see you still ahve blooms coming into Autumn especially in your neck of then woods.
This is my Tillandsia cyanea (more pink in bright light) and some African violets grown from leaf cuttings.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

This is my Leopard plant with a flower. I have no idea of the proper name . I never knew they flowered either, but here it is. The front leaves are a bit sunburned from the excessive hot day we had earlier in the year. It now lives down in the fernery and loves it.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.