Flowering in April

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Post your lovely flower pics here, for all to see and all to share.
Be they big, or be they small, we should love to see them all!
Gosh, I just realised I will have to wait until tomorrow to get a pic (April 1st) so am leaving you with the bambino boug on the fence, with plenty of water! (taken today)
I hope the impending virus doesn't cause anyone any grief tomorrow!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Huh what impending virus? ...I hope you are ok Sue the flooding sounds bad!.I presume you mean a virus on the thingy ...mine was very naughty yesterday ...but to be fair we have had shocking blackouts in the last few days ...and the rain is still pelting down here.
Okay April fool's day huh? ummmm

Because it is the 1st of April perhaps this is a hoax ...decide for yourselves everyone
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2009/03/30/conficker-worm-april-1-virus.htm

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

My desert rose.....

Thumbnail by MyaC

My frangipani......always flowering ,never stops, not even in winter.....just noticed the pink tinge,amazing how the camera picked that up, yet I've never noticed it before............

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by MyaC

My geisha girl, in a hanging basket.....

Thumbnail by MyaC
barmera, Australia

Mya. Is that the ordinary Duranta or is there a weeping one?. I have mine in a huge pot like a tree but it does weep. It looks really effective hanging. Colleen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

been out in the big wet, but you can't stop the flowers!
Billbergia pyramidalis under the fragipani

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Close up of the flowers. They don't last long, maybe a week, but well worth it and easy to grow.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Some daylilies that haven't been rained on yet!
Mya, that Adenium is to die for! The frangis are lovely, and I've never seen the Duranta in a hanging basket!
Chrissy, thats the virus I waas talking about. So far so good.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Aeschynanthus, The Lipstick Plant. I took this by cutting about 3 years and this is the first year it's really looked like something. Nice

Thumbnail by weed_woman
barmera, Australia

Weedwoman they're beautiful.Colleen

Yes it is a Duranta....I have about 4 in hanging baskets from the balcony....I had one in the garden and the wallabies kept on eating the leaves, so I never got to see it flower, I dug it up and placed it on my balcony up high......I just train it to weep and cut the straight strong shoots to root other geishas....one of the easiest to propogate...

Sue your Billbergia pyramidalis is stunning,so very effective and I've never heard of Aeschynanthus, The Lipstick Plant...will do a search and have a read.We can grow the lipstick palm here but it's so slow growing.......

Thumbnail by MyaC

Sue I've just done a search for the Lipstick plant and they are stunning, and that vine is gorgeous....do you have the vine as well?

http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?number=5&find=Gesneriaceae&imagesonly=1

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 3:59 PM

It's kind of hard to find anything not trashed by the rain but here is a lovely thing that is laughing at the rain
Xanthostemon Chrysanthus ...

Thumbnail by

So bright and cheerful against the wet grey day

Thumbnail by

Trashed roses ...too wet

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Mya, no I don't have the vine, just the one described as Aeschynanthus sp! I love the lipstick palms, and wish we could grow them here. Apparently there is a guest house at Sapphire Beach that has them, but they are grown against a north facing concrete/brick wall to keep them warm overnight and through winter. I wonder if I couldn't find a warm protected spot to try? I envy you that you can grow them.
Thanks colleen. It surprises me that anything can flower in this wet! They deteriorate rapidly, but I get out every day to have a look to see whats new.
Chrissy, I have some golden pendas grown from cuttings that are shooting away in this rain, but no flowers yet. How long did yours take to flower?
I'll look tomorrow to see if there is anything new.
Sue

Hi Sue I am glad you haven't been washed away ...it took about 4 years from a plant ...I don't know how old the plant was but it was only about 12 inches high. It seems to really enjoy all the rain ...I remember reading that it flowers after Winter rains in the rainforest up QLD way ...so funny really because I am in a place where I can grow stone fruit out front and tropicals out back ...fences and lots of bricks for radiant heat plus lots of leafy protection seems to do the trick. It's a beautiful thing.

Thumbnail by
Christchurch, New Zealand

Daylight savings ended today, I made sure to change my clock so was on time for dog club.
Came home & sprayed the driveway weeds, mowed the lawns & finally planted my sad orphan nemesia.
I took cuttings of it too so hopefully they all take as well as the purple & white ones.
Must say I am really impressed with them so easy to grow & pretty, scented flowers too.
Will be interesting to see how they cope with winter.
If they do well I will take loads of cuttings & share them with friends & family.
The light tonight was just amazing, a real golden glow.
I took some pics & a couple have a hint of what it was like.
If you look at the left hand side you can see a claret ash in the background -
those are our street trees & some have coloured up quite early.
they look great & later will provide me with free leaf mulch :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Thats a nice pic dalfyre...I like the puss in it too! Is that a jacaranda in the background..whatever it looks lovely.
This is whats blooming for me today.Antigonon

Thumbnail by brical1

Thunbergia

Thumbnail by brical1

Bougie goes on and on

Thumbnail by brical1

Not a flower but I thought this was attractive in it's own right.Phoenix roebellini

Thumbnail by brical1

Dwarf ruellia

Thumbnail by brical1

This is still going strong month in month out!

Thumbnail by brical1

Thunbergia alata .

Thumbnail by brical1

I can never have enough whites!

Thumbnail by brical1

Gorgeous pictures Judy,I love Antigonon,such a vibrant climber....

Here's a picture of a 8 year old desert rose, that I spotted in a garden on the Island,the vibrancy of this plant took my breathe away.

Thumbnail by MyaC

Brical - if you like white you might like nemesia...
The tree in my garden is a Robinia frisia.
It is lime green in spring then slowly turns yellow until autumn when it is golden especially when the sunlight hits it in the afternoon.
Then all those pretty golden leaves fall off & I rake them up.
Free mulch :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre

MyaC that desert rose is amazing.
the trunk has a sculptural look to it...
I think I will have to research them & find out more :)
Wonder it they would grow here...
and where on earth would I put one!
I finally made some room by giving away a few roses grown from cuttings but already have rearranged things to use that space.

hmmm - done some research &desert rose is not a plant for the ChCh garden!
Perhaps once I have double glazing it might work out as on indoor plant that could have summer days on the north facing terrace.
I'll put it on my list of maybe one day plants :)

Wow!!Thats beautiful Mya and only 8 years!Do they have a long bloom period?

barmera, Australia

Oh Mya that desert rose is absolutely beautiful. It looks prehistoric. Colleen

My desert rose from the start of this thread is still blooming and that had already been blooming for about a week,so maybe all up they last about 3 weeks. My rare desert rose has buds also forming ,can't wait to see if it will be the purple/ red as promised but it's already a cutie so really don't care what colour it is.

After seeing this desert rose planted in the garden, I think I may plant a few straight in the sand ,in full sun,a white, a red and a pink. I can't seem to kill them here and nothing eats them...no possums,wallabies or any insects,an amazingly hardy beautiful plant.

You will have to post more pics of your beauties Mya.Glad the possums etc are leaving them alone!

melbourne, Australia

wow - only 8 years old. i would have thought they would be very slow growing but i was wrong. i love them and think they look just gorgoeous. will be treasuring my little ones here and hoping that in eight years i can have something like that.
shelly

Shelly to get something that big, it needs to go in the ground and not kept in a small pot to stunt the growth.I have a pure red one that is quite tall already and I've only had it for a year,I'll probably place him in the ground ,as he isn't a good pot specimen,too big at present.I'd toyed with the idea of lopping his top off to keep him small but having seen how stunning a ground specimen is ,I think I'll let him keep his head and stick him in the pure sand.

I think shelley may need to go with a large pot of riversand or cactus mix because it gets pretty frosty up her way ...Mya they are spectacular in the tropics ...mine have been very nice but not fabulous in growth ...mine lose their leaves soon ...do you lose the leaves there? probably not, and that is why they keep growing through the year ...shelly you might have to overwinter yours inside depending on the temps ...many people overseas keep them as houseplants.

No my desert roses don't lose their leaves and don't appear to have a dormant stage,they just grow all year round. I've got so many ready to flower,just hope I can cross pollinate a few varieties to get my own mixed seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.