My ajuga seem to have gone missing.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good luck HelloMissMary, That is so funny I was looking thru old plant tags that I keep in a file the other day looking for the name on one of my plants. Burgundy Glow Ajuga was one of the tags that I found and there isn't any growing in my gardens now. I do remember that it didn't take well from the start.

Memphis, TN

Who'd have thought a "weed" would be so tricky to grow?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wait until next year to see spreading.
I dont dare plant it.
Its just too invasive here.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

But it is easy to dig up and either transplant or trash at least in the soil I have it growing in which is very rich and very loose.

Doug

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Jealous of your rich loose soil.
Its clay here, like digging thru rock at tis time of year.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

It's only because it's a raised bed, otherwise my clay is probably like yours!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Silver Brocade is very aggressive here but Burgundy Glow is just the opposite regardless of whether I have it in sun/part sun/shade/dappled shade. I do love the way ajugas keep out the weeds.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine does keep the weeds down. No buttercup coming up through that!

Thumbnail by katie59
Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

HI, I purchased a home 1 1/2 years ago and the front flower bed already had ajuga planted. The home owners left me a letter telling me all the planted planted that were in yard and stated the ajuga was suppose to be invasive. My problem was that mine did not spread quickly like I hope it to. I also had a hard time telling which was an ajuga and what was a weed. Most of the ajuga is dark shaded but some was coming up green which threw me off. My mother in law stated it was a weed but it looked the same as the dark colored ajuga. Has anyone had this problem?

It often emerges here as very dark and changes gradually over the spring to a bit lighter. Each cultivar has changes here. It it were starting here I'd send photos but it's still dormant.

It's very easy to delete or just remove the ajuga where you want to put other plants. I'd call it more aggressive than invasive.

Memphis, TN

I have it in areas where nothing else will grow. Seems to be behaving itself so far....

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Valdavid, are you trying to sort out whether the green stuff is ajuga or just a weed? Like pirl said, I've noticed that each cultivar behaves a little differently and goes through color changes as it breaks dormancy. I want to think the 'Black Scallop' I had at my other house went from a dark green with purplish tinting to its very dark purple color as spring progressed. It seems possible, too, that a cultivar might produce a throwback to the plain green ajuga, although I've never seen it in mine. Not sure about that one.

Either way, it's not so much the color but the scalloped leaves and heavier substance of ajuga that help me recognize it as not-a-weed. :) It doesn't look much like any weed I have growing around here, so I think once you get more familiar with it you'll be able to spot it easily.

Agreed.

It might be compared to a very robust Brussels sprout.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There is a weed that vaguely looks like ajuga but it is very easy to tell apart the shape is different and ajuga is thicker. If you would see them together it would be very easy to see the difference but possibly if you aren't that familiar with ajuga you could mistake the lighter green version as that weed.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

ajuga has a tendency to get crown rot..maybe that explains your missing plants.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

Have planted oodles of different varieties and they just don't like me all different spots in different gardens and they just die out on me maybe try next year one more time.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A. reptans cultivars are usually the most vigorous, certainly for me. I love A. pyramidalis Metallica Crispa and tried to get it to make a dense ground cover, but it just won't. But A. reptans has been vigorous to a fault. Don't know if you're too cold? A. reptans particularly thrives in part-shade/moist areas for me - to the point that it invades the lawn in those areas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.