Spring is coming :)

, WI

Yea spring is almost here geraniums are blooming in the gh...Happy blooms everyone...Barb

Thumbnail by WALLACEONE
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! I'm so hungry for spring this year.

, WI

Me too..They are calling for a snowstorm here today..It has been such a long winter and snowy..Will it ever end..Lol

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

it has to end soon since I ran out of room for the seedling last week I have three flats that need transplanting and no room

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

We had 3 inches of snow last week and today we are at 64 degrees! Spring seems to be getting crazier every year...

, WI

This is a very strange spring..I think we hit the record for snow in Greenbay Wi again this year...The geraniums are going gangbusters in the gh..Blooming their heads off...

mine are huge in the house cant wait to put them back outside they are over two feet across

, WI

I didnt realilize they get as big as they do esp the stellars..:) 2 ft across too...:)

I grow everything huge lol if it say 30 inches mine are over 50 if it says the bloom will be 3 inches wide mine are over 4 and sometime over 5 inches across lol dont know why I dont do anything different it just happens

, WI

Lol you have the geranium green thumb.....I just received some babies in from a coop and they are getting big already too...:)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey wallaceone, I was in that coop too...weren't they great plants? Mine are doing great...wish I could have bought lots more. I only got 4. But I sure do like them :)

my monsters came as little slip a year ago cut them back last fall and now they are going crazy started blooming last month and I hope will go all summer with enough feritlizer

Thumbnail by scicciarella

that location is my formal dinning room that has been transfered into my greenhouse for a few months I have a total of 36 flats spread all over in every window good thing I have lots of windows facing south and south east the hydro would kill my budget if I had to run that many lights

, WI

I hear ya I wish I had gotten more too...Starlight is a great vendor....That is a huge geranium...Dont ya just love them terra cotta pots...I found them at menards and am using them too for babies..... I wonder how long geraniums bloom for too..:)

usually they bloom as long as the weather is warm enough and they are fed on a regular basis

, WI

Thank you so much...:) Do you know how long from seed by chance ? Barb

slips are about two to three months old and it took about another two months for them to get the fist blooms so I would say four to five months from seed to bloom and it depends on fertilization and light

, WI

Thank you so much I appreciate it...I am growing a bunch from seed and was not sure when I could see blooms on them...:) Barb

I started with six last spring all different colors did a few cutings last fall and now have thirteen of them and I plan on doing more cutting this fall
it is amazing how the prices of geraniums have gone up in the last three years
I am just going to grow my own cutting or from seed
I refuse to pay up to 6 dollars for what I call the 3inch pot cutting lol that is to much

, WI

Lol I hear ya...I was just at a gh here and their prices were over the roof... Seed is not cheap either... 4 dollars for 10seeds..Ouch... I found jungs seeds here so I dont have to pay shipping which is good but I need to stay away from that store too. Lol I love how there are not really any problems with them...No bugs to deal with which is great..:) I have cuttings started in the gh and plan on doing lots more to trade later on....Barb

I have started doing that with the garden club in the area we have monthly meetings and the one in may they ask that we all bring in some seedlings and trade what we want and the rest goes for the plant sale to raise money for the club
I hope to get some interesting stuff

also found that agri canada has a rare perennial plant sale every year on mothers day it was so busy last year it was amazing found so many interesting plants

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

scicciarella- I've got a few geraniums that look like your picture, except they are a peachy pink color. I hope mine get to looking half as good as yours:) elizabeth

they will if you fertilize them geraniums like good food they just take off as soon as you feed them I am talking about doubling the size in like two to three weeks and they love lots of sun just make sure to water them good

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I need to get some food for my plants! I haven't fed them in probably 2 years. Maybe that's why I loose so many?LOL
I'll try feeding them! What kind of food? I don't want to loose these. They are doing good so far but I'd love for them to do better!!
Should I let them dry out between waterings?
Thanks, Elizabeth

not to dry and dont over water, remember to read the directions on the fertilizer and use one quarter strenght for seedling

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

ok thanks. Any suggestions on food?

you can use schultz liquid plant food the 10-15-10 it works good since its drops and its like a few drops per gallon so it will last a long time

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks I'll try and get some asap.

you should be able to get it everywhere that they have plants most common one for indoor and outdoor plants

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I dug out 2 different kinds from my plant box- Jobes food spikes 13-4-5 and Time Release 14-14-14.
Will either of those works?

the 14-14-14 should be fine nothing stronger and for seedlings only a quarter of the strenght for the first coupld of weeks then can increase a little on the strenght and you can go full strenght a week after planting to final location

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

They are in the pots they will stay in, unless they grow so much I need bigger pots!! That would be nice.
Thanks for your help

they should do ok just dont give them any afternoon sun for a week or so water normally and then after a week of so you can start to fertalize half strenght to start and then normal after a couple of weeks. they will do fine

I will probably have the same problem next month ordered some live plants lol said I would not do it again but oh well

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

scicciarella- I thought I'd ask you instead of starting a whole new thread. When my blooms start dying, how do I go about "pinching them off" so maybe new ones can grow? I picked plants that already had blooms plus also had babies about to bloom. Well, the blooms have started to die or at least look like it. If I get them off will new ones come in?

with geraniums you want to pinch the stem of at the plant
so you have the long thin stem with the ball of flowers at the end
just carefully pop it of the branch it will quickly make new ones

london, United Kingdom

It's spring here in London too. I've just out my pelargoniums outside and the first hardy geranium ( G. macrorrhizum ) is in bloom. Although I'm half a world away Im fascinated to read how you grow your plants in the states, you have to cope with such extremes of weather.I hope you don't mind a Brit eavsdropping on your conversations!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

That's what makes DG so much fun...all gardeners sharing their experiences. I was lucky enough to make it to the UK for a brief visit. There were gardens everywhere! It was amazing...

Glad you are with us :)

Im in canada which is so much further north and we have the same zone which is 5 its crazy the way it works,

my grandfather is from wales a small town called pontypridd hoping to visit that way next year,

mona

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

thanks for the help mona

no prob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.