Baby turn OFF the light... Earth hour - Should we?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone!

I'm sipping coffee with my computer right now. And I felt like "chatting" a bit, so here's my question:

Did you check this? http://www.earthhour.org/home/ . Our friends "Down Under" started this a couple years ago.
Will you be turning off the lights this Saturday? Earth hour will happen on Saturday, March 28th, 8:30pm for each timezone. I'm planning to do this, and have a romantic dinner with my hubby, starting 8:30. The food should be ready by then, there's no point in turning the lights but keeping the oven going... Candles, a stroll in the garden to check the stars and the moon? Sounds good?

Come join me for a candle-lit dinner!
Alexandra

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

If you will, travel with me (and give me more reasons to travel) to see our beautiful world!

I think it's a good time to take you to a trip! Feel free to jump in with photos of places or things that impressed you and that are worth turning the lights off an hour a year.

The first pictures are from the not-so-often seen Romania, because the best way to travel is the non-organized way. These are old pictures, taken with an old-fashioned camera, and scanned by me, so their quality is not the best (well, my scanning device isn't)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

This is in Moldova region (not the country), close to the little village of Manastirea Casin

(geographically, Romania has 4 regions: Tara Romaneasca (south), Dobrogea (south-east), Transilvania (north-west) and Moldova (north-east)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

On top of the world, same location

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Muddy volcanoes (Vulcanii noroiosi), close to the city of Buzau, located in the Subcarpathian hills, where the Carpathian mountains bend, to turn from their North-to-South travel to the East-West.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

The Red lake, a lake formed by a natural dam on the Bicaz river (Transilvania). One can see flooded trees that go through their petrification process.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Bicaz "Canyon" (I know, maybe it's too much to call it canyon, but in lack of the proper word...) (Cheile Bicazului) is carved by the Bicaz river through the Eastern Carpathian mountains, and connects Transilvania to Moldova.
A narrow road travels parallel to the river, along the whole canyon. Do you see me pointing down to show the river?

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

The Bicaz river through the canyon, passing furiously and muddy during a good rain

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Bicaz lake/Poiana Largului is an artificial lake, created by a man-made dam on the Bicaz river, on the Moldavian side of the Bicaz Canyon.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm going to jump all the way to the western Romania, in Retezat mountains, the largest natural preservation site in Romania.
Here there are many glacier lakes.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Retezat mountains - view from a top

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

wild flowers growing through rocks

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

... and in the wind-blown meadows

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

The stork living on my Grandma's house (newer picture, from last year)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

and some more familiar views (for the American traveler, or the International tourist in US)

Grand Canyon, AZ (picture taken by my father)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Painted Desert, AZ

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Petrified Forest, AZ

Thumbnail by goofybulb

Gorgeous shots.

I have a question: should we/can we keep our computers on for Earth Hour?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey, Dutchlady, thanks for coming over! I don't know what to say, I'll turn mine off, the only thing on in my house will be the fridge, I think. Do as you feel.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Guadalupe Mountains - El Capitan peak

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

spring in Guadalupe Mountains Natl. Park.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Tx mountain laurel flowering at Carlsbad Caverns, NM (March 09)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Honestly, if we were to do this once a week, once a month - think of how much power would be saved.
Every day I turn off everything & open blinds and windows well, except for the puter. :D
I am the only one here so I love the natural light & no big deal.
I unplug things that are not necessary, hair dryer, toaster, etc.
These things pull power wether we realize it or not. Not only do I save on my utility bill, but saving our power sources is a great thing. I do as much as I can everyday. Don't get me into recycling either! lol

if people were to do this just for Saturday though, it'd be awesome. BUT if it were practiced more often, that would be even better!

Thanks for the great pics. Mother Earth always has something breathtaking to offer us!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

a view inside the Carlsbad Caverns

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome, 2racingboys to my bipolar tour (Romania and US)! and thanks for turning the lights off! (and recycling). If you like, please share some beautiful things worth preserving!

desert view at the base of the Organ Mountains, walking to Dripping Springs (NM)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

some greenery on rocks, because of the Dripping Springs (Organ Mountains, NM)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

White Sands Natl Monument, January 2009 - picture taken by my father

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I'll search for some more pics, but until then, it's your turn!

Hats off to all!
(pic taken by my father)

Thumbnail by goofybulb

Silversword fern on Maui

Thumbnail by

plumeria, rainbow and American Flag

Thumbnail by

Sunset on Naples beach on Christmas Day

Thumbnail by

The Taj Mahal

Thumbnail by

petroglyphs on Hawaii

Thumbnail by

Plumeria tree

Thumbnail by
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Wonderful! please keep them coming!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, I found one, I found one really sweet! taken by my sister (late March 2006)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

sunset on Miami river (Miami, FL)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Manatee in Miami river, pic taken from our balcony

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

wow, love them all!!!!

Enjoying the tour's everyone and what a grand idea on "Earth Hour".

Some ruin's in Greece.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.