Weird Foods and Other Strangeness

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The old thread was over 400 posts long and new ones should be started around 200, so here we are now. This is where we were. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961144/

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

You are most welcome!

I am excited about all my wee tomato plants. I dream of a ripe tomato by June...

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wowee, very interesting, Claire! I had never heard that side of the story.
Julie

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Mulch I will be extremely jealous if you manage t o have a ripe tom by June! But, you have greenhouse, that must make all the difference.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My toms haven't germinated yet :( No artichokes yet either. Hasn't been sunny enough with the snowful, gloomy weather. If there is no sign by the weekend I shall bring them back into the indoor growop.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The odds are fairly good I could have a stupice ripe by then. We will see. And the hoop house is essential to do that...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm usually eating cherry toms in June. No big uns til July though for me.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm planning to sow seeds for toms, peppers, and some annuals th is weekend. But I cannot plant out, they tell me, till every bit of snow is completely gone from Black Butte.

maybe not til late May actually.

Meanwhile.

Here is a glorious weirdness I have been waiting for the right moment to share:

http://www.projectbandaloop.org/photo_gallery/cliffs/index.html

Particularly "Crossing Wildcat Point" oh wow, anti-grav!!!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Picante can do all of those moves for sure. I can do the one that looks like you're falling.

How wonderful! One girl is wearing flipflops too ^_^

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 1:38 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Claire, thank you for your explanation and supporting evidence for your the case of the contaminated canola. I learned something and am not at all surprised to see that I have read a very biased "news" article, though I try to keep a balanced view of new technology even biotechnology which can be pretty scary. The media don't always help in that department.
I am glad to hear that the Canadian courts, at least in the view of some people, haven't sold out to Monsanto and corporate interests. Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out.
This is what I really like about Dave's Garden is that we can share information among a very diverse bunch of people and arrive at our own conclusions and what is right and what is wrong.
Now put on your frog shoes and have a great day. I am grateful for the info.
Betty

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like that too paj. There is so much dis/mis-information out there.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

No kidding. Maybe you would like to see a more recent update on the situation. http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9494

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Mulch - good point to bring that up. That report is on the newer, separate case from the original one. Schmeiser now routinely tests for contamination that is a result of pollen drift, etc.

I agree that the initial contamination was from Monsanto, and I agree subsequent contamination came from them, as it has on many fields. I also agree that they should take responsibility for that contamination.

It does not excuse Schmeiser from his original activities in the late 1990s of deliberately harvesting, growing out, and re-harvesting seed that he knew contained a patented gene for which he had not obtained a license, which was the subject of the earlier case and is unrelated to the more recent case.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Back to weird spring foods for a moment....does fresh butter slathered on radishes and dipped in salt count as weird on the IU scale?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Are they cut into cute little radish roses shapes or not? I think that is a factor in the rating.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ummm....no. When I hire a personal chef (i.e. the 24th of Never) then they might be.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

How can Monsanto take responsibility for something that really cannot be corrected? Such as the state of corn genetics? Some things cannot be undone and therefore simply should not be done in the first place. Such as the problems in India. You can bet Monsanto did not expect that disaster with all its side effects on the soil etc. This sort of irresponsible gambling is beyond my comprehension.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I got this fancydancy cutting tool that does things like that licketysplit. It was my DH's idea cuz I only cook if I can play with the food.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, this is enough to make my head spin! I looked carefully at the Wikipedia article provided by CMoxon and the reference that contains a time line doesn't go up to the March, 2008 problem. It ends in 2005 when there was yet another dispute between Monsanto and the canola farmer. It begins to look very muddled again, but the 2008 settlement seems to apply to a second contamination of the farmer's land by Roundup Ready canola and a dispute over settling that one, not the first one. Monsanto was forced to pay the fee for removal of the second contamination which boiled down to $660. At least that is how I put it all together. Sure would be nice to find some impartial source on the subject.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh Yikes! I nearly fried my wee tomato plants! The sun came out and I did not have anything vented. Got there in time.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am glad you got there in time.

Sometimes I get on here in the morning and forget what I am doing such that my coffee gets cold before I even finish making it, and that can really get me riled. But fried toms would be *much* worse.

Claire, you made me drool with your radish suggestion, I have radish sprouts out there and I swear they are probably hiding from me, as I send them "I am going to eat you up!" vibes whenever I even catch a glimpse of them.

Then again, that might make them grow the faster, as after all, it is their Destiny, to be eated.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Whew! I burned a couple of baby violas last week Mulch (sob)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes I believe they are happiest in my tummy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like the idea of radishes, butter and salt, but it isn't on my diet -- the butter at least. Of course, I have been known to veer off my diet for all kinds of reasons, temptation being number 1 on the list. I have a recipe for radishes sauted in butter that has really been tempting me. I wonder if it would work with olive oil? The local Korean restaurant makes a wonderful marinated dish of daikon radish, jalapeno slices and cucumber and probably some ginger and sugar. I can't get enough of it. It isn't on the menu but they let me have a little dish anyhow, each time I go there for lunch. They know how much I like it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Of course it would work with olive oil, how could it not?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh no, burned the violas! Too bad. Hope you didn't burn them all. Yesterday I went out to tea with some friends at a local organic tea room. Do understand that Americans have no concept of what is supposed to happen at a tea, so this is what was served. Tiny appetizers, one was a smoked salmon salad, and small carrots with some homemade cheesy spread on them and small silver wine glasses filled with homemade apple cider -- not the hard kind and probably some other things I am forgetting. Then an organic lettuce salad with blue cheese and viola flowers -- and some other things on it. And then little cubes of various homemade fruit sherbets, then tiny little sandwiches with egg salad, and other things spread on top and some waldorf salad. Then 3 desserts -- two kinds of cake and some homemade vanilla ice cream. It was fantastic. And the little flowers on top our salads were violas. So that is why I am hoping you didn't kill all of those.
Is this is what British people eat for tea? Or do Canadians know what British people do? I have the sense that Canadians have closer ties with our mutual mother company than we do.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good point, Kylaluaz, but would it lose a certain je-ne-se-quois of wierdess with olive oil?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I personally do not think butter is weird, so the je ne se quois of weirdness factor is moot in my personal scale of weirdness.

Now, radishes and chocolate might be weird.

Whereas chocolate and butter is not weird.

See how simple my mind is? LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is what the Queen serves for tea http://whatscookingamerica.net/EllenEaston/RoseGardenTea.htm

I burned about half (sob). They were very tender as I left them in the dark too long. I should have shaded them. The violas usually used in salads are johnny-jump-ups and they grow wild in my garden so I always have lots of those. They are also luvly frozen in icecubes for refreshing beverages.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I am sorry you lost so many of your violas. I have johnny jump ups and also a lovely purple King Henry that are lovely. My DH is not too wild about eating flowers in salads but I put them in anyway. He can eat the parts he likes.

He does not mind nasturtium leaves, so why do nasturtium flowers disturb him?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My DH is fussy about things like that too. He's not much of a herbie unless it's cooked in the food.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Back to Project Bandaloop. Kylaluaz, I saw those guys perform! They were hanging about on a bridge over the Missouri north of here. It was part of the Lewis & Clark bicentennial events. Dang, I wish I could find a picture, because I took some! I've never seen a dance troupe quite like it!

Dnut, those people are a lot younger than me!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh good oh good, I was so hoping you would see this and comment and maybe you had seen them, what a fantastic thing they do!!!!!

Go to the website, there are multiple galleries of both photos and videos. I would so love to see them live, oh wow.

DN, I understand actually the fall-down moves are the hardest, isn't that right Picante? ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Reeeeeally? I shall remind my DH of that the next time I do a face plant.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would love to have tea with the Queen. Our tea was at noon, not 4:00 but our menu wasn't so different except we weren't offered coffee, just tea and iced tea. Interesting the Queen serves iced coffee, but not iced tea. Also we had a salad whereas the queen seems to prefer to serve finger foods. It was an absolutely lovely experience.
My DH will eat nasturtiums in salads these days. He is learning to trust my , ro him, strange ways more all the time. Course we have been married 21 years. It didn't happen in a day.
I haven't tried him on much else. I use borage flowers in my iced cubes but johnny-jump-ups sound even nicer.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

An add for yacon seed with lots of description:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsletter/issue_40/yacon.asp

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I couldn't eat that. They look too much like dahlia tubers and that would be cannalbalistic.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Umm..... they do don't they. Well, that's probably just as well. I don't think they are so easy to get in the US and Canada.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It would only be cannibalistic if the dahlia tubers ate them. You are slightly confused, Dahlianut.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.