Garden Pics....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've read not to let it dry out, they are found in the wild next bodies of water, rivers etc

Thank You RJ. I have not been letting mine dry out but some of the leave's are starting to yellow. I have read that these particular palm's can be a challenge to keep healthy looking as a houseplant though.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Aloha, Aloha,

There are two books in my grips that have always been considered my dream books. (I lived in Rochester, NY) They were purchased in the early '70s and are still dearly loved.

What is most relevant is that now is so many live in my garden here in S. Florida. God has been good.

They are from Graf:

1. Exotic House Plants..1973

2 Exotic Plant Manuel....1974

They are treasures.

Hap

Keaau, HI

The Majesty Palm, Ravenea rivularis, as it's name implies, likes to grow along riverbanks, and needs a lot of water to do well.

The only palm which likes more water than the Majesty Palm, is it's close relative Ravenea musicalis, which likes to live directly in the flowing water of rivers.

The Majesty Palm below is growing in the low spot of a very wet area; they grow stilt roots in wet areas to support themselves.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they are terrible house plants, they like humidity and outside, although they look nice and pretty at a certain stage and are attractive palms for their size. A co-worker has been putting his outside after I told him, and bringing it back in and it has improved...

I'm going to have to check some of my books and see if I have one..I never paid attn to the authors name before.

I will have to look for the book's that you mentioned Hap.

The Majesty palm is a beautiful one and her name fit's her to a "T".

I have added a "iron" supplement to see if it help's. Humidity here during our Winter month's are a problem for us "non" tropical dweller's but I have managed to keep it around 68-70% in the room's that have most of the plant's that thrive in high humidity.

Thank's again to all of you for helping me out.

Rachel

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAP...Grafs' books are thorough and wonderful reference points...IF....you consider that not everything is correct in his book (is it in any book?). If you look at the genus Hoya you will see mistakes... almost every genus. I don't mean to rain on your parade, and that certainly is NOT my intention...

There is ONE plant on the mainland I could not grow for love nor money...Ficus benjamaina...I must have spent my food budget on that plant yearly and for one reason or another I could not grow it: too drafty, too dry, too wet, too bright, too dark, too warm, too cold...ad nauseum. We have one growing in our front here...as big as a mountain 30' in diameter... Too drafty? Too dry? Too wet? Too bright? It only wants to take over the world....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Aloha,

I realize that no books are perfect, but for reading when it's -15 and 4' of snow is on the ground, they become pretty close.

There is a problem with the Ficus b. here too. It grows like gang busters until we have a cold snap or a hurricane, then there is disaster. There is a street not far that is named for them and up until a couple of hurricanes ago, there were monster trees lining the street and making an arbor with their branches. It was a beautiful site. Also the shade that they produced made a sort of wonderland for the owners. Some had trunks 10-15' wide.

But alas, one night they were all gone and the poor people had to deal with the FULL SUN. That area has never recovered...such a shame.

This past year, they have also contracted a white fly and most of the hedges are defoliated. Some say that they will come back.

I believe that they are now banned from being planted here.

Hap

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...they are considered invasive here too...but we have never had one 'volunteer' but find their roots all over the place!!!

Keaau, HI

At present the pollinator wasp for Ficus benjamina does not occur in Hawai'i. It will not spread by seed.

A similar plant which is seen along roadsides, Ficus microcarpa, does have a pollinator wasp and spreads by seed, and has become very invasive.

As long as the wasp does not show up for Ficus benjamina, it is safe to plant. The fruit it drops will have non-viable seed.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Good to know...I think you told me that before, Dave. I guess what we have IS the benjamina...drops lots of fruit!!! I rake up the fruit and the leaves to mulch my dayliily beds....

noonamah, Australia

I have Ficus benjamini seedlings coming up but only in other trees, particularly in my African Oil Palms. And I've got about a dozen huge Fbs. Probably we have organisms that keep their numbers down as a lot of other ficuses are far more common here. The longer dry season would help slow them down as well.

Liked the look of the Pinanga caesia. I've got a Pinanga kuhlii that just sat a couple of years but now is taking off. With the mottley leaves I thought there was something wrong with it. Looking around though, there were lots like that and it turns out it's normal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.