Garden Pics....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and sun exposure? I probably should have planted by the Majesty Palm

Keaau, HI

I grow them in the open. They get a lot of sun on days that are not cloudy!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, we had problems with squirrels digging them up..the seeds were similar in size to pecans.
Carol has some by the driveway not too far off from the Banyan tree, so I bet some shade is okay.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You want me to bring you some seeds, Randy?

Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

naturally

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Nice shots guys. It's interesting comparing what you grow there to here. Aggies, vireyas and clivias would do better in the our highlands ( the Atherton Tablelands) than here. But most of those palms are very happy here.
BTW,a bunch of Betel Nuts trade around these parts for a slab (aussie for carton of beer). There are many Torres Strait Islanders in our community. Ann

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

What lovely photos from your gardens, and interesting info...the guys who come to trim the coconuts are always chewing betel nuts and spitting red juice all over the place. They tell me that chewing the nuts gives them a buzz like a cup of very strong coffee...

Jen

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 6:02 AM

Keaau, HI

The first time you chew Betel Nuts, you will feel the hair on the back of your neck raise up, and you will have this overall feeling like you need to get up and do something!
If I didn't love coffee and cocoa so much, I'd be chewing more Betel Nuts.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Where can I buy some. Sounds like an answer to prayers.

Hap

Keaau, HI

As of last evening, the Pinanga caesia flowers had not opened up.

Last night they began opening and dumping pollen, then falling off the inflorescence.
This morning they are continuing; hopefully the bees will get here soon and help make some seeds!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's beautiful.
Hap

Cool!!

I think I can probably use those betel nuts too. Yeah, where can I get some? LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_nut#Effects_on_health

Well, so much for that fun.

Hap

Keaau, HI

As stated earlier, Betel Nuts contain toxins. You can tell someone with a Betel Nut habit, as it stains their teeth black!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That must look pretty!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh - I thought that was just poor dental health! Yep, what few teeth they have are all black.....not going to be trying it anytime soon!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here's a fun story: In the Botanical Gardens in Onomea (up the coast a bit) they started finding Medinilla magnifica plants popping up all over the place...and with a bit of study, they found these volunteer plants making a path that lined up a hole in the fence to a stand of Betel Nut trees. You guessed it - thieves were sneaking thru the fence, skulking past a big Medinilla bush, picking up the seeds on their shoes/feet and 'sowing' them as they made their way to the Betel Nuts on the ground. They closed the hole in the fence.... no more volunteer Medinillas!!! Down at the lower levels, the Medinillas can be very invasive....up here, not so much.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That reminds me I need to pick mine up from Waynes green house...

Is this a BOP bloom?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Located near the bottom left side of the photo, which is near the top of the plant.

Keaau, HI

Hi Randy, you may have the Traveler's Tree, Ravenala madagascariensis. The leaves look a bit long to be a common Bird of Paradise.

Here is the Giant or White Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia nicolai.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree for there are both in my yard.

The flower is magnificent on both, though.

Hap

Keaau, HI

A close-up of the flower!

Keaau, HI

This is the Traveler's Tree!

Keaau, HI

Here is a frond falling away from the trunk of Pinanga caesia, and exposing the bract which contains the inflorescence; thus starting the process over again!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know! I've said that every since I've bought it. The leaves have always been long, and it grew differently than the other giants. Bought it at Home Depot quite a while ago 8-9 years ago when I first started getting into gardening, so didn't really know much about them. The tag though was Giant Bird of Paradise (which can be meaningless sometimes) and a picture to boot. It does not follow the travellers palm habit either. When it started growing like that, it had me searching the internet to figure it out.

Notice though the close up resembles the BOP s picture of where the blooms emerge, and nothing like the Travelers.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 2:49 PM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 2:50 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The trunk is exactly like this one http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6318284 just the leaves are abnormally long, and always have been..I thought perhaps because it was more in shade, was by the fern tree and the soil wasn't the best drained there, but the leaves continue to be long.
2006 photo

Keaau, HI

Strelitzia caudata is similar to Strelitzia nicolai, but has longer Banana-like leaves!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is my flower of my Travelers, dead as a doornail, but you 'get the picture'.

It's entirely different from the BOP.

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

BTW, this is a crinium that has babies on the bottom. How do separate them?

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Bloom coming out.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll look that up...here is an 05 picture

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh no...and the bloom on mine is coming out like the one you have in the picture...was the trunk like the one in my photo?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think your right...it resembles Strelitzia caudata ...just looked at photos in PF.

cool blooms...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a picture of the full tree, I took today

Keaau, HI

Hey Hap, to get the young offsets out safely, they need to be dug.

Keaau, HI

Hey Randy, the whole plant looks like the Strelitzia caudata in A. Graf "Tropica".

Aloha, Dave

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mahalo Dave...it's been years I've been trying to find out.
What does A. Graf "tropica" mean?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

TROPICA is a book written by A. Graf....who also wrote Exotica and Botanica. Thick books that cost a fortune and are mostly correct.

Oh wow on the Pinanga already fixing to bloom again. I really do like it.

Can anyone on here tell me just how much water does a Majesty Palm actually need? I have read conflicting statement's saying to keep it "wet" not soggy but I have also read to let it dry out some as well.

Thank's

Lovely picture's everyone that has added since the last I checked. Hap. nice Traveler's palm even if it's bloom is dead as a door nail;-)

Rachel

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rachel, I have a friend who has one growing in the middle of a large pond.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.