Meyer's Lemon Tree

Houston, TX

I planted a Meyer's Lemon Tree last year in September. It was healthy when I planted it, but today it is pitiful. It is in full sun. Many of the leaves dropped off and are not that pretty glossy green. It has not grown an inch. Any suggestions?
My son planted one before me and his is beautiful and has put on lemons twice. He has even had to trim his back. Should I just start over with a new plant?

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Any new growth at all? Di the leaves yellow or dry up before falling off? What is your watering schedule? In pot or in ground?

Houston, TX

It is planted in the ground, I don't believe it gets too much or too little water. I've watered it in this dry spell. The leaves don't turn yellow, the same leaves it came with nearly a year ago are still on it, a few have fallen off, no new leaves at all. Wonder if some Epsom Salts would help it start growing?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you tried the organic product citrus-tone? Its at HD + Lowe's. Also what part of Houston are you in? East Houston acidic piney woods soil--west side prairie land (remnants of ancient Katy prairie--about neutral). Did you ammend the soil at all or plant it in gumbo?
Debbie

I grow all kinds of citrus--some leaf loss is expected in early spring (really almost mid-spring now here). I picture (close of the stems) and a bit from the distance to see what kind of bed you have it in would help me. Also are you in the banana belt of houston or not (that means north or south of I10).

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Did you buy a potted plant? Is it possible that it was root-bound in the nursery pot?

New Iberia, LA

A friend of mine took a citrus tree right out of the pot and planted it in the ground without separating the roots. When he dug it up the roots circled nearly three times and strangled the life out of the tree. Soil salinity is another thing that citrus do not like. It is common for in ground citrus to drop leaves and have a dull appearance at this time of year so I would not give up yet. If it’s healthy it should flower first then put out new flushes of leaves. Do you see any tiny white flower buds?
Oldude

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.