Just stick flowers in a vase!

South, TX

So pretty! Daffs are pretty wherever they are from!

Hubby and I worked for HOURS outside today. I am SO tired. We replaced our cool loving flowers with heat loving ones. Lots more to do , but we did a lot. I took a hot bath and a nap is coming SOOOON! :)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

So Sally, what did you do with all those cool fluers?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Terri that is beautiful, would never give you the "boot" on that prettyl
You got a fancy little boot there as well blossom, nice job!

South, TX

Well, the flowers that need cold weather are in the trash. We like to do all we can do prepare for summer before it gets HOT. Hard to work then. Our fall, winter and spring are gorgeous. Summer is hot and humid.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Sally, too bad you chucked them.. I got coold weather....with a wee tad of white today! Ya could have chucked them my way if they was worth the effort to salvage! LOL!

I did take a quick hike to peak in on my dafs out in the gardens and well, looks like they should be ok. Tomorrow will tell me the rest of the story. Hope its not a horror tale! As it stands now, we are no longer white, just very wet.. somewhat ponding!

Thanks haighr for the kudos on the boot. Lets hope we give the boot to the snow now!

london England, United Kingdom

Thanks Sally, sounds like you got loads done, great. Nice you had hubby helping!
Thank you Candee, glad I'm not getting the 'boot' LoL!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Lovely iris terri! Are those siberians?

Thanks Blossom, I'm not sure what Iris they are, only that I got them at a market stall for £1.50.
A bargain I just couldn't resist. LoL!

These tall Freesia's were the same price!

White Daffs and pussy willow....

White and yellow Daffs, with forsythia underwater...

Mixed vase, Forsythia, Iris, Freesia

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

BBBBeayoootiful!

Well, I tromped out in the garden this evening and did pick some more daffs.. they are just buds so no show! Maybe tomorrow!

The other day, the hub found a pussywillow growing in the woods so he brought a few snips back and we are trying to root them. He says just stick the cuttings in the dirt and by fall we will have a couple new starts... well time will tell.

I have siberians.. my gosh, they are thick this year.. I should divide them up and start new ones.

I love the freesia.. never had much luck growing them. I guess I should try them in a pot.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Terri, I'd say we have a mate Mate!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice variety of arrangements using all your resources, Terri.

Blossom, or, it could be this one's mate matey. I am waiting for a few more to open up before posting it in the yard to vase series.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey blossom and terri - take all you want from this clump. This has been a bumper year for them. Hope they last until Easter. And I did have some red ones. Hurray!

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh would you look at all those freesia, what a great display of color. Terri I really like your colorful vase with the freesia, stunning as always.
You can also start some willow cutting in water blossom and then transplant them - I have started many willows that way. Would love to have a pussy willow, had a black one for a few years, but moved it into too much shade and it croaked. I also tried to start some contorted pussy willow but that pooped out as well. My corkscrew willows are hugeous though and they started from sticks, some in the dirt and others in water to root first. Enjoy as I wish I had a nice little pussy willow somewhere.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

haighr... hehehe...go here.. rooting away!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/944548/#top

Soils, um, lets see, my siberian iris is Cesares Brother.. (I cheated, those were last years pics...!)

LOVELY FREESIAS.. dang I am sooo jealous!

And nothing new blooming here today.. drat! So I am playing with fakes...did another wreath...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939159/#new

I dont know about that wreath if I should call it done or not....critique please! ah and BTW, the colors in the pic do not do it just is it is a vibrant gold, green and red in that thang! Whats it to be?

Thanks Blossom, Dianne and Candee!
Nice to see your flowers....... WHAT !! no vase...... nevermind... LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey terri, just leave them paper daffs in their vases or arrangements...no fuss no mess! LOL!

Hey Blossom, I have plans for my dried daffs!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Do tell, mate! Or is that DO SHOW! ...new thread? LOL!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - what are you going to do with your dried daffs? Inquiring minds want to know....here is the vase of daffs that I put on on March 18th - a tad past it's prime, I'm afraid. So, aside from tossing them out, what is the alternative????

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

and while we are at it, I am afraid that I have neglected the vase of freesias too.....

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

and Terri - no vase because those flowers are for you to stick in a vase and end up with a fabulous arrangement LoL

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

freesias dried papery??? COOL!

Just wish I could grow them.....

OK, terri, spill the beans, just what are you up to? I am losing sleep over it!! LOL!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well now I am gonna go home and tomorrow if the sun is shining, I am gonna cut some daffs and hang and see how well they actually dry?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No no no.. dont hang them.. put them in a vase with water, enjoy them, but do not add any water until they suck it dry!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

oH, I have never dried any like that before, is that how you generally do it just leave them upright in an empty vase? Do you do that for all your dried flowers?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No I just dry the daffs that way just by leaving the water run out on themselves. Do not add any water and once they are dry if there is still water in the vase dump it.. One way to do them is to make an arrangement with them fresh and do not add any water after the initial water goes in to enjoy them fresh for a few days!

Hmmm here is link to drying flowers we started earlier.. I dont think we have the word on doing the daffs there yet so I will add that...

Heres the link to BOTANICALS CUT AND DRIED

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922950/#new

Here is my first "paper" daffs of this season.. not fully dry, but getting there.. they hold their color for a good time.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Candee - the dried daffs and freesias the I showed in the photos above were done the same way as Blossom. But, I did not plan to dry any - I just forgot to toss them out when they were past their prime, and then now they are dried. There is still water in them, so I will heed Blossom's advice and dump out the water.

Now, all I have to do is wait for Terri to tell us the next step.

Hold your Horses!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

*whinny* holding...

Um WHY?

Sorry but my Daffs have flopped and look awful! They haven't kept their colour very well either!

Off with their heads!!!!! Stick them in a vase!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I think the humidity made them flop!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yuk they look like dirty old mops Terri.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!

I forgot to tell you on the daf drying, it will depend to on the humidity and how well they will hold both their shape and color. Sometimes things go less than pretty!

Well, its a fine morning, sun is out.. but frosty. Dont reckon I will get much done.

LOL Candee, YUK!
I think the supermarket daffs don't dry good, not like the natural ones you have in your gardens!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, when you got the super market ones did you put the floraculture powder in the water??? That might be the issue!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

....new thread??... snow arrangements!! LOL!

Its the un-water thing!

Whoooo ordered this weather?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.