hf young

Delaware, OH

can't remember a lot of discussion regarding hf young. i love this clem. sometimes it looks so blue. ran into a good buy on some a couple of years ago and bought a few more and tucked them in with some groupings, so hope to see more action from them this year.
anyway here is one from last year.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
(Zone 4a)

It sure is beautiful - do you know how big that one will get? Just off the top of your head. I could research it but I am too lazy right now. If you don't know that is ok too...I will research it when I have more time.....

Love the colour.

Delaware, OH

the large flowered hybrids all pretty well get as big as you want them to. it will be over the top of the arch and because i prune, it will then get thicker but not taller.
however, i do think hf young could adapt to a container for a few years, and then go out in the garden, if treated well .
if the major problems that gardeners have with clems were them getting too big, the category would be a lot more popular. most clems do not reach their potential, and have a high mortality rate, through our errors, inexperience and in best case, learning curve.
hf young is a beauty and if you read the history of it on "clematis on the web" it has a great history.

for all you ramona fans, check out that history too. it has a deep back story on when it was developed .very interesting.
here is ramona 08. ramona is fussy for me, but the tropical beauty of it makes me tolerant of the plant!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I love my "Ramona"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Athens, PA

Both are so pretty and each has such a lovely shade of blue.

Jeanne - what kind of rose is growing with Ramona?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

H.F. Young and Ramona are both beauties.

(Zone 4a)

I am wondering though would HF young be too big for an obelisk?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have climbing Rosa "Autumn Sunset" planted with Clematis "Ramona" but the rose you see in the background is "Angel Face" that is in the flowerbed next to my pergola...Here is Climbing rosa "Autumn Sunset" with "Ramona"..I love peachy orange and purple together...

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Delaware, OH

dawn, yes, i would grow h f young on an obelisk for sure. i use those a lot and have clems on them that are "too big" for them and just let them trail over it and back down or eventually leap to something else.
another good one for an obelisk is pillu. here is my pillu in last years location. due to deck construction , i had to move her in late summer. but she responded immediately and i am even more excited about her current location and what it will look like in 09.

(Zone 4a)

Piilu is so sweet! I have been thinking about that one for my garden as well....this one is suppose to be smaller right? I think I did see them for sale around here last season so I hope I see some this season.....

Delaware, OH

pillu would be ok for container. i don't grow clems in containers, unless i need to pop them in one for a season for some reason. haven't done it in years. may do it this spring as i have some containers that have dead shrubs in them i will have to remove the shrubs. so if that happens the week the clems arrive, well you never know.

re all clems, i think with pruning all but the most vigorous can do some container time as they grow on. in fact, would be better in some cases than setting too small plants out in the garden.i love pillu. name derived from "little duckling"
i always thing of that when i am enjoying the amazing pillu.

(Zone 4a)

So are you saying Piilu wouldn't do so good in the ground? Not sure I am understanding you.

Delaware, OH

no, my pillu has always been in the ground. it is not overly vigorous as a plant, but very floriferous, so i think it would be a good choice for a container. but i think any clem except small flowered species type are good in containers for a couple of years.
all clems would be better off if not put into the garden until they are bigger. especially for folks new to clems. plants are being sold so small it increases the chance of mortality.

that is why i like silver star, they are older plants, really big roots and the shipping method is so smart. cheaper, smarter. she prunes the plant back before shipping which sets it up for success.
most people do not prune back plants when they buy and plant which also increases mortality rate.

Athens, PA

When I buy smaller plants, I always have them spend the first year in a gallon or so sized pot. I then bury them in the back for the winter - pot and all. I find that the following spring, they are usually ready at that point to plant right out into the garden. This grows out their root systems has helped to increase the success rate for me with the clematis.

I tried for quite some time to only look for plants that were from places such as Silver Star or Joy Creek - where they send you a 'gallon' sized plant, but the problem is 2 fold -
1. There are some real deals to be had if one is patient - I will put $5ish so dollars into a smaller clem and grow it out- I do like a deal and the other thing
2. is that sometimes you can only get some of these other varieties in smaller pots from some of these larger catelog companies.

So, I just grow them out for a year or so.

This picture is of Mme Julia Correvan (sp?). I purchased her 3 summers ago. I am thinking that she should be gorgeous this year. I paid $5 for her at Lowes.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Delaware, OH

carolyn, really makes sense. i think if i see any can't resist or rescue clems this year at chain stores i will do the same thing. and you are right , some os the places with the best selection do ship tiny plants.
mary toomey , the famous clem expert from dublin is on record as saying that she doesn't think the little plants "liners" (she calls them) should be sold! the novices buy them, plant them out and they disappear.
you were lucky to get juila correvon for 5$. don't see it often. i have one, i love it. it struggled for a couple of years and then last year gave a good show, so i am with you drooling for this year. yours is in full sun from the look at it. mine is in partial shade, but last year late summer i took out an old crabapple and the amount of sun in that area will be much better this year. so that is another reason i am anticipating an improvement this year.
if i pick up any tiny plants i am going to use pots, sink them in the fall and plant out next spring. i always have a better success rate with spring planting vs fall. as i set out a lot last fall, i am eagerly awaiting the action this year.
here my my julia correvon from last year. shows the impact of sun compared to yours i think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.