Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: hf young, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: hf young

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of hf young
ClematisGuru wrote:
carolyn, really makes sense. i think if i see any can't resist or rescue clems this year at chain stores i will do the same thing. and you are right , some os the places with the best selection do ship tiny plants.
mary toomey , the famous clem expert from dublin is on record as saying that she doesn't think the little plants "liners" (she calls them) should be sold! the novices buy them, plant them out and they disappear.
you were lucky to get juila correvon for 5$. don't see it often. i have one, i love it. it struggled for a couple of years and then last year gave a good show, so i am with you drooling for this year. yours is in full sun from the look at it. mine is in partial shade, but last year late summer i took out an old crabapple and the amount of sun in that area will be much better this year. so that is another reason i am anticipating an improvement this year.
if i pick up any tiny plants i am going to use pots, sink them in the fall and plant out next spring. i always have a better success rate with spring planting vs fall. as i set out a lot last fall, i am eagerly awaiting the action this year.
here my my julia correvon from last year. shows the impact of sun compared to yours i think.