Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: hf young, 1 by Carolyn22

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Carolyn22

In reply to: hf young

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of hf young
Carolyn22 wrote:
When I buy smaller plants, I always have them spend the first year in a gallon or so sized pot. I then bury them in the back for the winter - pot and all. I find that the following spring, they are usually ready at that point to plant right out into the garden. This grows out their root systems has helped to increase the success rate for me with the clematis.

I tried for quite some time to only look for plants that were from places such as Silver Star or Joy Creek - where they send you a 'gallon' sized plant, but the problem is 2 fold -
1. There are some real deals to be had if one is patient - I will put $5ish so dollars into a smaller clem and grow it out- I do like a deal and the other thing
2. is that sometimes you can only get some of these other varieties in smaller pots from some of these larger catelog companies.

So, I just grow them out for a year or so.

This picture is of Mme Julia Correvan (sp?). I purchased her 3 summers ago. I am thinking that she should be gorgeous this year. I paid $5 for her at Lowes.