Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #32

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here ya go Star.....

we came from here.... # 31 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957896/

and toofew... my Husker Red came from seed. a nice gal was offering Native Plant seeds for SASE... she sent me a ton of stuff.
none of which i knew what anything was, since i was new to this... but that turned out to be one of my faves.

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Starlight, for a combo with yellow or orange marigolds, I'd try something purple-blue and taller, with spikes of blooms, like Salvia 'Victoria Blue' or maybe something like Malva sylvestra 'Zebrina' (that's the striped one -- I think there's a darker purple M. sylvestra also)...

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much!!!!!!! : )

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There was a lot of salvia being used at the Philly flower show, often paired with tulips and daffodils, because you know salvia is such a great early spring bloomer -- not! LOL, flower shows are funny that way.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Too funny! I think my May Night Salvia does bloom when my Lily Flowered Tulips do, which are pretty late intoMay here - but def. not as early as dafs!! ha ha

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Neal, I’m always overwhelmed with plants, it seems that I’m always planting all summer all the way until I can’t anymore before it gets too cold :) That’s so sweet but you don’t have to send me anything I was glad to get rid of them to a good home, and yes you have to tell me if you get a bluish pink one it’s almost neon, those seeds were from Mike_Freck, I got those seeds about three years ago, my first penstemons :) If you are able to get seeds from them if you get a blue one save me some please, I haven’t figured out how to get seeds from them yet. All of those have such pretty colors!

Star, if you need some 'Victoria Blue' seeds I may have a few if I can find them :) Finding them is getting to be a joke here lately that’s what I get for having so many seeds lol

Toofew, I bet those Violet Dusk penstemons are beautiful!

I forgot to add I found my gaillardia oranges and lemons from Fairy starting them today :)))

This message was edited Mar 10, 2009 11:52 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lea, I know I don't have to, I just wanna :-) After dividing, I got 11 tubers out of 3 that I started with for one variety, so I'm happy to have them to share.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

penstemon tubular bells seeded this one have about 18 plants out of twenty seeds
maybe the last two will make and appearance lol since I just reseed on top after picking the babies out
my asters and zinnias are up man just planted them on saturday now I need more pots hahaha to transpant them

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooooooooooo, now that's Purty.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

any "southerners" want to chime in on this thread.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961104/

also planted a package of the mix colors

I have a question is penstemon the same thing as obedient plant ????

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh no :) They aren't the same at all, those obedient plants reseed and spread like crazy and they are a lot taller very invasive!

Thank you Neal :))

thank you I had one and it took over its just when I checked pictures they look similar
and I dont want to have to start pulling plants again

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

The reason they call it obedient plant is because you can take the bloom and bend it and it will stay, they have a pretty flower. For the back of the border or where you want something taller but put it somewhere it can spread because it will :) I had some against the house and had to remove them they were taking over everything lol

and did you notice that when they are pulled out they are deep and leave a big hole its like they eat the soil lol it made a mess at my old house lol had two patches and had to buy soil to fill the hole never again will I plant those I would not want to be responsible if they went out of control and destroyed natural habitat it would break my heart

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm with you all on this one. I planted some when I first moved in, about 10 years ago. I am STILL trying to eradicate it. It spreads with runner-like roots, as well as reseeding!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL... it's pretty funny. Many of the seeds i've gotten, Obedient Plant included... i'm hearing horror stories of.
like -- do i really want these things to germinate and actually put them in my garden..... the O.P really is pretty though... a guy in my park [in Wisc] had purple and they really are pretty.

I was lucky since I had put in a deep plastic border on the lawn side and had the driveway on the other it only took three years to get rid of them hahahah only but I also always cut off flower spikes when they are done and leave only one or two for seed collection and I cut those and allow to dry in paper bags so things dont spread out of control OCD I have to control the garden not the other way around hahahahahah

did you hear any of us say the flower was not nice, actually it is very nice its just by the second of third year it takes over your garden ah and then it is not so nice anymore and also not very obedient since it will not listen and stay put so many other plants look like it one is penstemon and it will not destroy your garden and take the word destroy seriously please

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I call them disobedient plants and gave them all away.
Those penstemons are gorgeous! I've never seen them so floriferous in real life.

well I guess I will find out how the penstemon does I have about 60 plants 20 red 20 red orange and 20 of the mixed colors I am doing three different areas
I also started columbines of every shape size and color since I love them so much the keep on blooming if dead headed I have had some bloom from end of april till august in toronto will have to wait and see how they do here in ottawa probably will start later like mid may and later I hope I have so many shade bed on the property that I thought it would be good to plant them everywhere some with hostas and some with astilbes and some with heuchera different kinds and colors in different places love the tall oriental ones so pretty and wimsy

love these ones two

love these planted them to

I planted about 20 to 25 seeds of each kind I could find including blue,white, rose, barlows

cant wait to see them all bloom should get some blooms this years since the first flat got started early january

did the same with other perennials that I like just planted some of every color available because I know they will do well and look amazing also started 2 flats of unknowns those are seeds that I collected in other gardens or where ever and like very much or I would not have bothered picking the seeds lol will see what grows and will plant them when they flower so I know what they are so I can plant them in the best spots
this blue one I bought last year and collected the seeds last fall it is so pretty I want lots more

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Do the barlows require different germination than the others? I planted 8 different kinds of Columbines (6 of each) in a flat, and most have germinated, though at different times. I have a blue Barlow and a Black barlow that have only one sprout each though. Wondering if they should have had different treatment.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

scic.... What is that purrrrrrrrty pink plant that ya showed pic of up above. I don't think I seen that before, but I knwo I want it. LOL

Lee. If ya find them Victornian Blue seeds, would be nice, if not, don't worry. I tryign to fidn my seeds too. and thanks, I forgot I need to get more gallairdia going. I need to be an octopus is what I need to be. Always so much to do. LOL

no all germinate at different rates but all under the same conditions some came up in 10days and some are still coming up after 5 weeks I am now at about 98 per cent germination
when I sow flats and most have germinated I transplant them into pots and sow other seeds without disturbing the soil so when more come up I just pluck them out and other will grow when ready I have now reseeded the same flat three times with different stuff since not all plants have the same amount of weeks before being planted out some are 14 weeks to last frost and some are only 4 weeks depending on what they are
my second flat of columbines is just coming up and the last one was just planted
I planted also all kinds of other flowers also the quickest to come up was morning glories I soaked them in warm water and some came up in 48 hours so cool

Just want to chime in about obedient plant. I am on the fence with it. I like it because it blooms at a time when a lot of things have finished in the garden but it does spread like crazy and god forbid you want to dig it up. You have to spend a while plucking up the little volunteers that come up from any little bit of roots left behind. However I think if it is sited right it is okay. JUst be wary if you have a small garden that you want to grow daintier plants in. I think it is really best in a wildflower garden that you can mow around, if (or should I say when) it tries to over grow it's bounds. Only equally vigorous plants would make good companions. Anything that would grow in a moist prairie - Joe Pye Weed, Swamp Milkweed, coneflowers rudbeckia, monarda all should be able to hold their own against it. : ) Although not a prairie plant the wild forms of Phlox paniculata are vigorous enough as well. JMHO

I got some pictures off my camera - here is a pick of the snowman from yesterday. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

and make sure you cut off spent spikes so they dont go to seed because the birds will eat them and poop them all over the place and then they will spread everywhere in the state and the whole country if allowed to hahahahha

nice picture

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

A friend gave me some Pink Obediant Plants 2 years ago, warning me to cut the blooms before the seeds dropped. I've tried to be vigilant. I planted it in the middle of this bed 2 years ago, the bed is now on its 4th year. So far the OP has been very good, especially since the sedum has completely covered the bed, hopefully it is shading/killing any OP seedlings.
This bed mainly consists of 2 different groundcover sedums (Golden acre and dragons blood), Brilliant sedum, stella daylilies, some bulbs (daffs, lolipop lilies), Rudbeckia that I allow to reseed at will, and Rocks. This bed takes an amazing amount of abuse, so only the most hardy were planted here. sorry I don't have an updated picture, guess I will try to get one this year.

How does that saying go ... first year it sleep, second creeps, third leaps ... Yikes, its the third year for my Obediant plant. lol

Thumbnail by toofewanimals

just try to keep the spike cut because the birds will eat them and spread them remember your neighbors may not want them in their yard lol

Yup good point, I forgot about that scicc, I usually collect all my seeds for trading and swaps so mine are never left to go to seed. : )

toofew that is a nice bed you have there. :) I planted 3! plants in the standard size HD sells.Ugh they have tripled in size! All three of them! lol

oh yes and they will triple again and again till nothing is in that bed except them lol that is what happened to me lost everything in the bed

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, y'all have talked me out of obedient plant - I don't have the room to battle it, and the creeping charlie as well :-)

try penstemon it looks like obedient plant but much nice looking the blooms are bigger and it is so easy to take care of and it does not spread like crazy

this is one has the largest blooms but many have blooms that look just like obedient and it also has many different colors from the white, pink, red, red orange, blue, and a mix of the colors like white pink etc.......
this is my favorite

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.