Salvia Question

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

All of my AGASTACHE are coming back!!!! They died down to the soil in the pots last year. So any of you growing them keep a look out for the new leaves.

The one in this picture is growing nicely

Thumbnail by wren107
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

That's a pretty one Wren, I bet hummingbirds love it.

If they can fight the bees and butterflies away from it long enough to get to it. The small native bees really love it.

(Zone 7b)

Well i have yet to see mine Uh Hum what i thought was agastache was Blue Night Salvia.
No sign of my purple beauty i had last year :(
But my Black and Blue is coming up and i have some mystery plants emerging as well.
( Tags taken away by the wind or a very small dog i know he he he )

Done you love those little four legged garden helpers. LOL If we could only teach them to weed!!! I have a number of seedlings already up. Cosmos, red sage, a type of morning glory and a couple of other things. Now if only I can find some where for them and the other seeds than I am going to plant. LOL

I think I have 2 package of the AGASTACHE purple pygmy wish the rest of the seeds would come.
Here is a picture of my new flower bed

Thumbnail by wren107
(Zone 7b)

That is Beautiful Wren !!!!
Mine is still sleeping and awakening slowly as we have more warm days i see a little here and there.
Purple pygmy Agastache you have peaked my interest ;)

I hope this works http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/0221/

the above link is of the purple pygmy agastache

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is my first year growing salvia and I wondered if any of you have any experience with Yvonne Red Salvia? If so, what should I expect from this salvia in this region.

do you have a picture of it??? I have never hear of this Salvia

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Check out this article. http://inthegardenonline.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/259-Yvonnes-Salvia.html
Looks like it is an annual, but one on steroids. Grows up to 7 ft. tall! Other info available. Google Yvonne salvia.

also http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/822733/

I don't know. But I have found that some of the annual salvias will live through a warm winter if they are deadheaded. I did find a picture and this plant looks like it is to large to be a annual.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/exseed/msg03190930574.html

I wish I had room for a plant this large.

Sandy

LOL! Yes, Salvia on steroid is what I would call it. I hope mine would look like it's been on steroid! Have you grown it?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lili -No, I haven't grown it. If you get seeds this fall, I'd be interested in a trade. So far I haven't killed the night blooming cereus you gave me. Its in the greenhouse until it gets a little warmer outside. I can start some cuttings of salvia black and blue or purple majesty if you are interested.

Sandy - It would probably grow even larger down there in warm FL... LOL.

You get that right. The only way I can keep my Salvia black and blue undercontrol is keep them in pots. I just get a Purple Majesty which I did put in the ground. How large dose it get??

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

Thank you Becky. I would love that. And yes, I will definitely give you seeds if my salvia survive all the rain. Not that I'm complaining about the rain. But I winter sow the seeds and then I planted them in the ground and down came the rain and wash the seedlings away....

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sandy - my Purple Majesty gets bigger than the Black and Blue. I am going to try pruning them both back this year after first bloom. The branches were so floppy by end of season last year. The picture was taken end of June. B&B in front, PM behind it (taller) and Indigo Spires behind that. Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727
(Zone 7b)

beclu i just bought 2 of those blue ones like in your pic.

I have several of the salvia like may night and some other they all have the same leaves but in different shades.
I love the salvia and agastache i plant them as annuals and enjoy them all summer.
How ever my may night did come back and so did a pink one so i may have some that will stay.
I just bought a pink speedwell and it's beautiful!

My black and blue may need a talking too it's creeped out into my pathway.

Wren i can't thank you enough for the seeds they are in some growing pots can't wait to see them sprout.

You are welcome. I get seedlings every where too.

My Black and blue salvias are in pots and they do not get too tall just bushy. I will have to take a picture of them later.

here is a picture of one of my Autumn sages. I have red, dark pink and purple in this.

Thumbnail by wren107
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sandy - Love the red. Most of my perennial ones are blue. Is that one perennial?

Harmony, I hatched out 5 chicks. They are so adorable.

Yes and it comes in pink and purple I also have a annual white and I have this perennial called Hot lips.

Thumbnail by wren107

here is a small blue called 'creeping blue" have not found out anything else about it.

Thumbnail by wren107

Here is a annual red I also have the white form of this one.

Thumbnail by wren107

I think this red is Pineapple sage.

Thumbnail by wren107

Not a good picture but here is the white one.

Thumbnail by wren107

I do not remember the name of this purple salvia

Thumbnail by wren107

Have you noticed that I like salvia

Here is a nother annul

Thumbnail by wren107
(Zone 7b)

I like Saliva too something about those long spikes of flowers i just love.
I have the hot lips one and the blue one too i had a stunning pink one come up can't remember the name.

Lowes has alot of salvia in different colors but i get salvia in gray ga. close to macon too.
We have a small nursery in another town i love to visit they have different things there.

I just love looking at flowers as much as i do planting them i go down the road looking at others flowers.
Hey i have even stopped before and ask about peoples flowers folks love to show off their gardens.

Yes me too. I use to take pictures of wildflowers, before my knees get to bad.

(Zone 7b)

Wren my seeds are sprouting! :)
I will definitely have to thin them i didn't know how to plant them they were so tiny so i just kind of sprinkled them on the potting mix LOL
Now they are coming up i can't wait to get them in the garden and see them bloom.
I hate to wait you should see me over my incubator saying " come on i'm tired of waiting"

Beclu that is fabulous about the chicks now you need to try ducks LOL
I have 7 Cayuga's and 3 baby Call Ducks and they are so much fun they love water and making doodles in the mud.
Or how about some pigeons i got some nice Figurita's or some Chinese Owls.

Just Jokeing hope you enjoy your chicks :)

I did the same thing. LOL I potted some of mine up today.

I need to he the sack.

(Zone 7b)

Mine looks like a little pot of grass or sprouts i thought WOW was there that many seeds in there!!

Sorry I did not get back last night. The Sleepies get me.

Yes there was a lot in some of the packages. And I divided them into 3 or 4 bags. Next time I will divided them up into more bags. LOL

Once I recover from bikeing with 2 dogs(mine and my friends) I need to get back out there and finish potting them up into larger pots. They are a little small but with so many I better do it now.

Sandy

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 2 salvia blooming right now. One is Stampede Cherry I got from Danita last year.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

This one, I don't know what it is. Note the scalloped leaves.

Thumbnail by beclu727

I will need to check I know I have the Stampede Cherry "Autumn Salvia" also have it in purple and red and I may have the other one also.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Becky, I'm jealous :). My gift-from-lovely-Danita Stampede cherry is not blooming but I'm happy it's up and well. The Dianthus I bought to "match it" are blooming so maybe the Stampede will hurry up and join the party. Mine only gets about 1/2 day of sun.

Of my 'big guys', only Purple Majesty survived. I will have to replace Indigo Spires and have already put in a new Black & Blue. I don't know why they did not make it for me.

My Black and Blue like a lot more water than the other salvias . But they are in pots.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

That is interesting Wren since I think of all the salvias as non-thirsty. Mine was at the top of a slight slope so perhaps it didn't get enough water.

And an update: my Stampede Cherry has buds! Yeah, so the color match bloom plan will work.

You have to remember than I grow them in large pots and the heat down here is hellish!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.