Avocados have fruit

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

This is my first year getting avocados. My Opal avocado (new variety hardy to 14 degrees) has at least six or seven fruit so far. My Marcus Pumkin avocado is flowering and should cross pollinate with a generic avocado I got at Lowes a few years back. My Mexicola (hardy to 18) lost it's leaves when it got 22 degrees but is starting to bud new ones. I am very excited.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

how tall and wide are each of those varieties, juju?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They are still small. They are all about the same size of 4-5 feet tall. The opal is a heavy producer.

Pots or ground there? Got a good source--I really like those small Mexican cavali brand av's we get in our organic co-op. Perfect size for a mayo substitute bread spread w/cilantro. Now if I can figure out what type they are--I'll get one; I can handle 6-8 foot trees.
Debbie

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I would get the Mexicola or Mexicola Grande. You will have to prune them to keep them that small. Make sure the soil has good drainage. I keep the generic and Marcus Pumpkin in pots and the others in the ground.

I'm jealous. Yum.

Congratulations!!!

April

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I really have the fever right now. I already have asian pears on the tree and flowers on my starfruit, surinam cherry, chilean guava and chocolate vine. I am ready to pig out. Hurrrrry!!!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The Mexicola Grande is possibly the most cold tolerant. Here's a good article -

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Just finished the citrus harvest - oranges and lemons - and the trees are blooming again - wonderful fragrance! The fig trees are full
of buds.

I saw that but I kind of like color pics with the descriptions and to see the actual fruit.
=)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Yuska,
I am suprised you dont know about the Opal and Wilmas that are much more cold hardy than Mexicola. The Mexicola is only hardy to 18 degrees and the Opal and Wilma are hardy to 14 degrees. The reason I thought you would know is that they pretty much only sell in San Antonio and Devine, TX. There is a farm in Devine where you can get those varieties from the guy that developed them. They go like hotcakes and sell out immediately. It took me two years to get my hands on one after agressively searching and calling the guy in Devine. They are like the new Elmo doll at Xmas. HA! Well, at least we can start growing them in central Texas now.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the lead - I'll get right on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.