Adopt-A-Plant

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

As a cost-saving measure, the company I work for is cancelling its contract for maintenance of all the office plants. However, before they are all taken away, we were given the chance to adopt one of the plants, with the understanding that if you adopt a plant you are responsible for watering, feeding, etc.

This is the plant I adopted. Since I have no experience with indoor plants, could you tell me the name of the plant, and what its water/fertilizer needs are? I want to be a good mommy to my new baby!

Thanks!
Jeannie

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Grants Pass, OR

I'd love to know as well. Someone gave me one for my birthday about 4 years ago. The sticker on the pot said simply "Foliage". lol. I can tell you that it does really well in the bathroom with very little to nearly no natural light. I water it when ever the soil looks dry, and put it in the living room 2 or 3 times a year for a few days to get some sunshine. It seems to be a very easy plant and doesn't require much (or any) maintenanceto thrive.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like a good healthy pothos to me. That is just a pretty 'ivy'...........I think the secret to pretty pothos is to let them dry out and then water real well (draining, too). Don't forget to feed a Schultz indoor liquid 20-20-20 about once a month................Good luck.

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Jeannie, I have two of these in my office. We have a ceiling fan that runs all day to circulate heat. My pothos always has brown tips. It doesn't like the circulating air I guess. I will replace them when my Xanadu Philodendron gets here that my floral friend has ordered. [I'm in a small town where we don't get it unless we order it]. Hope these work better.
Cheryl

Thumbnail by mortswife97630
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't know that pothos had any downside. Teasing you, Mortswife!!! Just don't over water and she will be happy. Let her dry out real well. (But water well when you do water and let it run out of the bottom)

Pothos also grows beautifully in water in a vase...............

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Well, how cool is that?

Yes, it is a potho's.

Water only when the leave's droop in a downward position. Your plant is one of the easiest there is;-) Your plant is happy in low light condition's too.

Anything else need adopted?

Rachel

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

One of my pet peeves is unlabeled plants.

Thumbnail by mortswife97630

Ahh. Yes, those un-marked plant's that we all purchase from time to time.

;-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Our nurseries don't label plants where I live............they don't even know if it is an aesychanathus or a nematanthus!!! But I do know a pretty plant when I see one and that is all I care about.
We can always find out on DG an identification.

Hook a simple potho's vine to a totem pole and let it climb . Some may be surprised of the outcome ;-)

Rachel

This message was edited Mar 6, 2009 11:18 PM

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone for the ID and the care information! I should be able to keep my pothos very healthy!

Anchorage, AK

Hi! It's a golden pothos, one of the best ones! :)

They are super easy to care for & grow like crazy! When it gets a bit out of control you can trim a vine back to just below a leaf and it will happily send new growth out from there. Also you can take the trimming and shove it back in the soil to root (but keep it a bit moister than usual for the new roots), or you can put it in water as suggested above. If one vine gets long and looses a few leaves leaving a bare stem you can chop it back to about an inch above the soil and it will send new growth out from there. That is also great for filling up the top again if it thins out.

While they will survive almost anything even wilting, with a few yellow leaves tossed about later, best is moderately moist with slight drying in between. Medium to bright indirect light, although they can survive in low light.

Fabulous plant choice! Congratulations!

Mortswife, brown leaf tips are possibly a watering issue. If it's too wet it will get dark tips with yellow rims (check your soil to be sure) If it's dry it will get banana yellow leaves. I have low humidity in my house and mine don't tip, so that shouldn't be it.
How close to the fan is it? I would think unless it's in a wind tunnel, LOL, that would be ok as well. But hey, plants do what they want right?

(Zone 1)

Lovely, healthy looking Pothos! They are great low light plants, and don't like soggy conditions.

Here's the link to Plant Files for information on Golden Pothos: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51451/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.