BASIL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm, not sure what the best defense would be against those... Bt, maybe?

If their numbers are going down, maybe the problem will resolve itself...

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Hiya gardeners, old and new =) I knew this would be a good thread!

I must find out where Dothan is from here and take a road trip!!!

Vortreker, in your garden, you should devote a spot to the elusive chocolate basil and even make a 'reserved' sign. that would be cute.

shame on you....you guys made me lollygag a few hours away looking for it too but I ended up ordering mints from Richters. =)

Greensboro, AL

nanniepb: I worked at an archeological site in your part of the world for about 4 years - at Hartsville, TN on the Cumberland River. Its been a great place to live for at least 10,000 years! Lots of karst topography in that area.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well so far I have managed to contain myself to lemon basil, a no id purple variegated sort of ruffled basil that seems to be taking the heat pretty well so far, a lettuce leaf basil that has been regulated to the back garden cause it doens't like the heat so far, and the African blue basil. I dream of Chocolate Basil...but interestingly enough, I not that that turned on by chocolate mint..( course I never liked chocolate mint ice cream either). I think I want the Chocolate Basil cause it would be different and I LIKE different...much to the dismay of friends and family.

well, Dothan is almost 500 miles from here but I really was considering a couple of mini vacations to gardens close to me. like Louisville, KY and the Biltmore House.

Gloria...How interesting that must have been. there was a bit of poetic license in that location ... don't tell anyone I'm actually in Scott County. Have you even been to Big South Fork?

In some areas here, I don't think very much has changed in 9,999,899 years either =) but its home. 'maters grow well here.

I wintersowed several basils this year but I think I'm looking forward to the lime basil the most. not because its my favorite to eat...its my first to grow it. Now fess up...chocolate basil isn't real is it?

Baton Rouge, LA

Beginner here...just 'hanging on' I have Greek Globe and Lemon Basil guarding my tomatoe and pepper garden.

Sweet Basil by the pool

I put a "beer trap" out tonight for the sweet basil.....looked like it was being munched on by slugs....

Hugs,
Mary
Baton Rouge, LA 8B

Greensboro, AL

I just froze my lemon basil from Lowes. Have to start over on that one.

Nope. Not been to Big South Fork.

I do remember going to Andrew Jackson's home. There was a nice little garden there.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

What a great bunch of people.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

glad to report that its finally warm enough here for the basil to grow fast enough for my consumption needs (just barely)
=)

Baton Rouge, LA

DH used a little globe and sweet basil for the pastalaya he cooked today....not a lot....

LOVE Sweet basil....I think I actually talk to it. :)

Hugs,
Mary
Beginner
Baton Rouge, LA

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Is Purple Ruffles variegated ? I have a "purple" basil I got at a yard sale over a year ago. Ruffled leaves, variegated. No tag and the lady couldn't remember the name.
Anyhow, it went thru our unusually cold winter here in Fl. Its on the above list as an annual, it never gets a chance to flower cause I use it too much, so don't know flower color, would it maybe act more like a perennial here for me?
I really like it a lot and would like to try cuttings of it to make more plants. I'm assuming you take cuttings of herbs the same as other plants? I'm usually pretty successful with all sorts of cuttings.
mj

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

mjs----Purple Ruffels is not varigated but I read that many plants are reverting somewaht back to it's green heritage and I had one last year that showed splotches of green throughout that I grew from seed.
I think it is remarkable that yours survived the winter, even in DeLand. Please do take cuttings--(it roots easily) and try to refrain from eating it all :)
You might have a unique plant.
The only Perennial Basils I have found are only perennial in zone 10
with the exception of my 8b Chocolate Basil of course. :)

Greensboro, AL

Quoted: ". . . with the exception of my 8b Chocolate Basil of course."

Ha! Apparently the kitty didn't eat all of it.

(gasp) I didnt know you could grow basil from cuttings!!

And on the chives package that I sowed yesterday (the seeds, not the package;) it said to divide them every two years.

I dont know if I should move or learn to read the packages ;) ha ha

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Basil roots readily in water. :-)

Hey Critter...happy spring.

yeah, yeah. lol. maybe i knew it and forgot it. someone remind me this fall, ha ha.

I hope I dont ask the same questions I did last spring/summer.
i'm serious. i'm even forgetting that I forgot.

brain overload. thats it. 8)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Spring to you, too!

I think we all end up asking some of the same questions over again... that's OK, because somebody else will see the Q&A and find out something they didn't know before.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

gloria---your memory is too good!

Mena, AR

Purple Basil is my all time favorite. I started like 70 plants in the greenhouse this year. But the only problem is something is eating all the pretty leaves......i just sprayed with neem oil, but with all this rain in arkansas who knows.

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm a newbie...but last year I tried the old "Beer in a tuna can" trick....it worked! Kills slugs....

Mena, AR

oh wow never heard of it.. can you explain? ill try anything. thanks val

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The way I understand it, is you put some beer in the can, stick the can in the soil so the edge is at soil level. The slugs are attracted to the smell of the beer, fall in the can, and I think they can't get back out . . . could be wrong on that part.

Baton Rouge, LA

Yes - Syrumani - boy ya'll are makin' me feel good! I am usually the advice taker...not giver.

Something in the beer kills them. I did it near my basil last year and around my potato vine.

You continue doing it every night until you have no slugs in your can....that helps the problem...

:)

I had holes in the leaves - that's what made me think I had slugs to begin with....

Mena, AR

i have seen a few slugs when the plants were still in the greenhouse. but now they are outside still in their containers and holders on tables.. is it possible to do the tuna beer ? just try sitting the tuna cans on the tables? in random places? thanks so ooo much for all the advice.

Baton Rouge, LA

They way I read it last year....the edges of the tuna can have to be at soil level....so the slugs can crawl into the can.

I always wondered why the slugs couldn't crawl up the can...but everything I read said to dig the can into the soil so the lip is at ground level...

Come to think of it - maybe I did try setting the can on the ground and it didnt work that way...

I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's in a pot or in the ground....but I would dig a "tuna can sized hole" down into the dirt.

Do this at dusk and if you don't see any slugs in there after a few nights...then that's obviously not your problem.

Of course....after pouring some beer into the dug-in tuna can....you have to drink the rest of the beer. It doesn't work if you don't.

Let me know if this works for you! Then we'll know if it's slugs or something else...

Hugs,
Mary

Mena, AR

totally agree with drinking it why Waste it i do love beer.... thank you so much again I will try that tomorrow. I will let ya know in a few days. Have a great evening.
val

Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Val - Good deal - Let me know !

Happy Slug Hunting!

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

For those of you who start your own basil from seed, do you find it necessary to thin the seedlings? I have read different recommendations and would rather get some advice from people who have grown it first hand. My current basil seedlings are between two and three inches high and I think that if I need to thin them now would be the time to do it if necessary.

Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks! :D

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I do thin. They are easy to separate if small enough and replant or they are edible.

Baton Rouge, LA

my lemon basil are going to seed right now...

The greek globe basil is plugging away...

The sweet basil is hanging in there...but not as large as last year......

BUT I will say (beginner as I am) that I planted the lemon and globe basil on each end of the tomatoes and we have NOT had to use any insect spray THIS YEAR!

Thanks for the advice Basil folks!

Hugs,
mary

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't thin, as such... I start seeds in a shallow tray and then "clump transplant" into pots to grow on for a few weeks before planting out. See this article for details & photos: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/862/

Severna Park, MD

I've been intrigued by tulsi/holy basil because assumed it must be special given the holy moniker, but never see it in garden centers. Was thrilled to see seeds at MI gardener so grew some this yr in pots and in ground. The texture is thick and rough, and taste is inferior to other basils. I gave some plants to others and they also disliked, so we all have pulled up and discarded. Am shocked to see other posts recommending it. For me a dud. Only redeeming characteristic is that there was no damage to the leaves because the bugs didn't like either,.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.