bamboo ID please

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello all, I have a question about the ID of this Bamboo. I have propagated it and want to plant some out, but would like to know the name so i can research it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Another of the same bamboo

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And a close up of the culms
I hope this is enough for someone to recognise it.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Mulberry, FL

Does it have yellow with the green or is that just a covering? great looking ginger next to it. There are so many out there its going to hard for anyone to take a guess

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Whoops, forgot I posted here. It is bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Carr'

Keaau, HI

Hi Sue, does the plant ever throw culms that look normal, and maybe culms that are extra variegated?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Metro. I'm not sure, and no longer work in that particular garden. I have planted three from culms, so will check their progress and see what the new shoots look like.

Keaau, HI

I get culms from traditional Bambusa multiplex that shoot up making a few variegated leaves, but then grow out of it higher up.

I wonder if you would make cuttings from culms with more variegation, you would end up with a more variegated clump?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I would imagine that would be quite likely and logical. Sometimes variation is caused by a virus, so it would be important to get your propagation material from the most affected part of the plant. I didn't get to look at it today (totally forgot) and am back to work tomorrow, so not much chance to get a look until maybe wednesday. I don't think my clumps are overly variegated, but then i never thought to look for the heaviest variegated culms to collect! I wish now i had.

Keaau, HI

Hi Sue, it's good to keep an eye out for weird looking sports. Many of the variegated, mottled, tricolored, etc. cultivars that are available today, poped up in someone's garden!

Aloha, Dave

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey DAve, I did some reading and learned about 'plastids'. Bad plastids cause variegation, but too many will cause albinoism, which is usually fatal (in the world of bromeliads you leave it attached to the mother plant to keep it alive)
I have a variegated Lomandra longifolia, which I've never seen for sale, but I was told that i would need to propagate it, grow it in all conditions to find out its hardiness, and then either get my stock up, or sell it to someone for tissue culture. Meh, too hard! I guess I will never be rich! Now if it was a bromeliad I would be babying it! he he.
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.