show me your pics

Athens, PA

TG -

Viticella is growing up a metal arch with a climbing iceberg rose. The viticella is way ahead of climbing iceberg. I can't wait until the rose catches up to the clem.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

To the right of Viticella on the fence to the arbor is Ville de Lyon.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

TG -

My son put up the plastic chicken wire on the downspouts for me. This one is Ruutel.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful plants Carolyn. I'm trying to think if I have any trees or bushes that a clem could grow with. I have to take inventory of the acre. Hmmm, I can see I will be lying awake again tonight. Thanks for sharing your pics.

I'm sure I could make a structure for them from the fallen branches and pruned limbs off our trees. There is a DGer just north of me that has done that and I liked it. It was free and recycled. Kept it natural looking. I like the natural look out in the yard and a little more formal up at the house.

Athens, PA

TG-

I love a giant pot full on my deck. Here is Blue Climador and some wayward petunias that managed to seed themselves.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

That Ruutel is stunning next to the white. I don't have down spouts or believe, I'd do the same thing.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I absolutely love petunias. I like the way the two look together.

Athens, PA

TG-

how are an Integrefolia? This one is Fascination. DH got her for me as a Valentine gift.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

uh excuse me. I just had to wipe drool off the keyboard.

Athens, PA

TG -

last one for now - Clematis texensis. I bought her last year from Brushwood. I have an area where you come down the side of the house through a gate (Jackmani clems on either side of the gate, but I don't have current pics on them ). Inside the gate is an alcove and my deck. I have a fountain on the wall on the right and I planted clems on either side of the deck, growing up the deck. Dr. Rupple is on the right growing through a climbing Golden showers rose. On the left is this little red Clematis texensis......

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There's also a thread in Garden Talk about arbors and trellises:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951160/

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I have another thread like this one I visit for ideas, Pirl. I already have two horse panels for my MGs. Plan to get more to make an arbor for my confederate jasmine. It is cheap. I particularly liked the MG arbor in the middle of the yard in the link you gave me. Heaven knows I have enough yard. Thanks for the link.

Here's a link I that shows such interesting things done by someone with livestock fence panels and there are great photos to accompany it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/684265/:

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, Pirl, this is the thread I was talking about. It is an excellent resource for cattle panels. I love DGers, they are all so creative.

(Zone 4a)

Wow I just took a look myself and there certainly are some great ideas! 101 ways to grow clematis LOL!!! Love it!

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 9:04 PM

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I know, isn't it great!

(Zone 4a)

It sure is....now if only I had the lot size you have....I would be in heaven LOL!!!

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 9:05 PM

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Sometimes more isn't necessarily better. You see, it feeds my addiction. Plant this, plant that, fill this space, add color here. I find new plants I've never seen before and go... I want that. Oh, and I have a place to put it. Smaller space would mean less room to put new things. My property is my enabler. ;)

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I agree, Texasgrower. Just had someone rip up some pampas grass and put in a new bed. 14 roses and a bunch of perennials on order! I guess it's healthier than some addictions!

Lynn

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Yep, at least this addiction comes with exercise. Keeps the old brain thinking of how and where to plant everything. Then there is always the pleasure of looking out over all that work and admiring the beauty of it.

Delaware, OH

do they have 12 step for gardeners and gardening addiction?

maybe we should start it!

Who wants to be cured?

(Zone 4a)

Not me LOL!!!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

you all are a hoot.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Pirl, I need to be cured! If I order one more hosta ..... I'll ..... I'll ...... I'll...... well I'll be TOO HAPPY!!!!! lol

Delaware, OH

i am afraid to do a clem count. i think with spring shipments i may be close to 400. this does not include multiples of any varieties.

Kristy - so buy clematis instead!

Niobe - that's a lot of clematis! Your gardens must be delightful not only to you but to all your neighbors and anyone passing by.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Pirl, I am really limited on where to put clems. I have pretty much all shade out back with a pretty bad erosion problem. I KNOW hostas will work with no problem. I do plan on clems in smaller sections where I can put a trellis. Gotta fill every nook & cranny! lol

If you don't fill the nooks and crannies weeds will grow so get busy!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

*holding up my protest sign*
NO TO WEEDS! NO TO WEEDS! lol lol

Delaware, OH

it is a lot of clems. my 2 acres is kind of set back, so from the street there really is no view of the clems. and i have kept them away from the house for the most part, so the impact is small unless you walk into the gardens which have enough shrubbery and other foundation design so that you are not really aware of the clems unless you walk the paths behind the shrubbery.
believe me, the "design" is an accidental , haphazard design that has evolved from gardening on the same property for 18 years and clearing different areas over the years from wild wood and native brush. but as mistakes were made, corrections made and my original "country garden perennial" look evolved to the shrubs and clems it has all kind of just worked out like that.

it's kind of cool that they are a bit hidden. when i walk people around they become amazed if it is the right time of year. and i am always glad to not look at them in the winter.
for instance, in this photo, there are about 30 clems BEHIND the landscape berm of shrubs. so from the lawn you can not see them, except sometimes peeking thru the evergreens or just nice little views of them.

all accidental i can assure you.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

It's lovely. I'm sure when many are in bloom it must be breath taking.

Delaware, OH

thanks pirl. i do think i enjoy the clems more because of the structure of the shrubs and areas created by them. and the blooming shrubs are very satisfying. remember 18 years work. and some of the shrubs need big pruning 2 to 3 times a year to keep them in check.
if i had to pick shrubs or clems i couldn't. i love the clems, would hate to give up the obsession. but shrubs offer a lot for little work.so that makes them a good combo i guess.

the photo attached is the back side of the shrub view from the other pic. it was taken very early last spring when there were were few blooms. this year i plan to take more long view shots when there are a lot of blooms. there are two of these huge berms alike...each of those 2 areas have 15 mature arbor vitaes forming the main structure, with the tiers of shrubs to the front, and clems on the rear.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
(Zone 4a)

Just amazing Niobe!!! I can't even imagine what kind of work it must take to keep a yard like that....although I know it is a labour of love. Gosh I would need to quit my job just to look after that LOL!!! Beautiful just beautiful!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

No picture yet but I have a section of split rail fence along my patio to put two new clematis on that I have coming. It's part of a butterfly flowerbed that surrounds my patio. DH will be putting up another section for me a little farther out in the yard for the Kentucky wisteria I have coming.

Delaware, OH

oooh , what's kentucky wisteria? that sounds interesting.
spit rail fencing is a great idea.

dawn, not as much work as you think. i do have some weekend help, and we mulch heavily on paths and non grassy areas.
i do put in about 12 hours a week on average from may to sept with april being more than that. watering takes a lot f time from june thru sept after the base work is kind of in.

most enjoyable job: checking the clems every day. the wonder of daily growth and blooms never ceases, does it?

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I love walking around daily and checking blossoms and new growth too. I'm always encouraging them to do more. Watering is my most time consuming job in the summer here too. Everyday for the potted plants.

Niobe, your landscape is beautiful. The 18 yrs of planting and replanting shows. You do great "haphazard" design. I know you enjoy it.

I love a split rail fence. I think clems growing on them will be striking Naturelover. Please post pics once it is all in.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

niobe,
I had read that American wisteria is better behaved than Chinese so I did some looking on the net. In the process I found one called Kentucky that is as well behaved as American and has a nice smell too so I ordered one to try. It's not supposed to get as big as Chinese but, just in case, it's going farther out where it will have plenty of room.
Texas,
I had Mexican flame vine on the split rail by the patio last year and it looked real good but didn't survive the winter. I love clematis so decided to swap. I'll be happy to post a picture when the clematis gets big enough.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't know what kind of wisteria I have. It came with the house. I have three together in an arbor that is 30x8ft. It is bushy, smells wonderful and puts out the biggest cluster of purple flowers. I keep it cut back so it doesn't climb into the adjacent trees. There is one more across the yard. I love to watch the bees and bumble bees in it. It blooms again in July.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I love wisteria because it's beautiful and smells wonderful but I also want it because it attracts bees. I have lots of flowers for hummers and butterflies but I also want lots of bees so they will keep everything pollinated for me. Your yard must me just gorgeous Texasgrower (what I've seen of it sure is!). DH and I are retired too (about 4 years ago) and bought 11 1/2 acres out in the country so mine is a work in progress. I've gotten a lot done but still have soooo much left to do! But I just love gardening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.