show me your pics

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I am looking for ways to display the five clematis I just bought. Arbors, trellises, posts, what? I know some of you have gotten creative and I would like to see what you have done.

I already have four that have the post and trellis thing, but I'd like to try something different that isn't cost prohibitive.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Jeanne

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is my Niobe from last year.

Thumbnail by jlp222
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

That is gorgeous. See, I was thinking about putting one of them up on my brick wall that faces south and gets sun most of the day. Which wall is your on?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Mine faces South. It gets full sun from about noon on.

(Zone 4a)

I have some growing up the legs of my pergola.....

(Zone 4a)

ooops forgot the photo

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

I have also used chicken wire to cover a fence with clematis....that works well too.....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Very nice Dawn, I love the color combination.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I love chicken wire too. Even the plastic kind.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

which 5 did you pick? just curious & jealous. I can't get any. I just got almost a hundred dollars worth of hostas. :(

(Zone 4a)

Thanks....

I have also heard of others who cover their mailboxs, or water drains from the home....you can also have them clamber up other trees or run through shrubs.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Dawn, that is SO what I am going to do with my fence. Can't wait!

(Zone 4a)

Oh yeah you could also cover a lamp post if you have one....now that would be pretty....ok that is all I have for ideas LOL......

Curious to know which ones you got?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I wish I had a nice pic of my clem on the mailbox.
It is SHABANG in bloom! lol

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn, is that pergola post not in the ground but in that concrete holder? That's a great idea if you don't want to dig a hole and set concrete. So you have the trellises on either side of the post creating a corner feature with two different clems, right? I could do that effect under the oaks. I am using leftover horse panels for my MGs as well as the trees. I could use a spray painted horse or cattle panel (they're more substantial for Texas winds) next to the house like Jlp222 did with hers. I'm assuming you're a she Jlp.

2Racingboys, I bought three Edouard Defosse for the shaded area. That's where I could put Dawn's idea to work. I also got Empress, love her pink. And Ernest Markham. I could put those two on the panel nest to the house.

Jlp, my wall faces south and gets most sun, so that would work with these sun lovers. They would be flanked by two dwarf red crape myrtles.

Oh you all are giving me some great ideas. Thanks so much. Please keep them coming.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yep, I'm a she.

Thumbnail by jlp222
(Zone 4a)

My pergola was build on cement blocks.....we used those cement post holders...not sure what they are called. Anyhow the pergola is beside a small garden bed where I have my clematis planted. I used 2 panels from those material pergola's and attached them to my wood pergola to create a nice place for the clems to grow....

Here is a photo just after it was built - I since moved it closer to the garden and I think it shows you exactly what I am talking about.....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Oh and just so you know - this pergola is very sturdy...it isn't going anywhere!

(Zone 4a)

Hahahaha and here is a side shot....I think I had just planted my plants......

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Jlp, and a very pretty she.

Dawn, excellent pics. I showed my husband and he likes your pergola too. it is simplified with the concrete post holders. I think I will do something like that for the clematis under the oaks. The posts in the concrete holders. So if I change my design I won't have to dig up concrete or cut off posts.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here Nelly Moser covers an old stump.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 4a)

That is gorgeous pirl!!!!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl, you obviously have a flare for landscaping. How tall is that stump and how old is the clem?

How sweet of you. Thank you. The stump is about 2' and the clematis is about 10 years old but has looked the same since year 3 or 4.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Makes me almost want to go and cut down one of the 32 trees I have in the front yard alone. :)

That's a lot of trees for a front yard!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

You should see the back! We live on the edge of the Piney Woods of East Texas. Need I say more? Some of the trees are Red Buds, Dogwoods, Black Haw, Ash, Sycamore, and of course three different kinds of oaks, and crape myrtles. We live on an acre so it's got some open space but the trees are old and have quite a canopy.

The pic below was taken last April and from about halfway down the yard. We had a lot of concrete work and additions added to the house when we bought it. They dug up a lot of turf. It is spreading and filling in nicely now. What you see behind the house in the way of trees, is what the front is like. We had six trees removed to make room for the carport/workshop and garden. The house wouldn't be as cool in the triple digit summers we have if it weren't for the trees. That's why we don't cut them down. They keep the whole yard and house cooler. But, ya know, that clematis looks awfully pretty on that stump............:)

Thumbnail by Texasgrower
(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful home and yard Texasgrower! It looks gorgeous where you are and wow those trees are truly awesome!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dawn. You should have seen it when we bought it. I cried. I had such a nice home and yard in Fl and this property and house was neglected. But the it had the proverbial "potential" inside and out and the price was right. Now I love it and don't miss my Fl home at all. It is still very much a work in progress. It has a park atmosphere that just brings me peace. The deer come through nightly and some mornings. The birds are endless because I feed them all. :) The blue birds are nesting in their box now. Spring is on it's way.

Lovely home and property! You could probably get a stump from any company that does tree removals. Staggering three of them, at different heights, would be lovely.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Where do you get these ideas? Tree removal company? In the Piney Woods? There is one just down the highway. I will keep an eye out on their trimmings.

Sink each stump about a foot so plan for the sizes you'll need.

No idea at all where the ideas come from but maybe your property inspired it. For a $5.00 tip I bet you'll get exactly what you want and they'll be delivered!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I will certainly keep that in mind. I am getting so many good ideas. Even for my backyard living space with Dawn's pergola set in concrete post holders. Also will probably put two of my sun lovers along the south brick wall like Jlp. So that leaves the guys under the oaks. That is where a stump or two may come in handy.

Send photos when you get them all growing. I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

I love the brick wall I can see at the far left.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I will post pics but that may be awhile since they are'nt here yet. Maybe they will grow well for me this summer. Enough to get an idea of what they may end up like. I can see it perfectly in my mind. I guess that will have to do huh?

That's what dreams are made of. Now it's up to you to make the dream come true.

(Zone 4a)

It will be beautiful texasgrower....I can't wait to see your yard in the fall!!! Make sure you take before and after photo's so we can see the work you did. :)

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, there's that four letter word, work. But it will be a labor of love. I will take pics of the process. Thank goodness I have until May to figure it all out. That is when the clems will be shipped. That gives me April to plant the brugs, Texas Star, Confederate rose, MGs, petunias, echinacea, zinnias, day lilies, confederate jasmine, nandina, hydrangea, impatiens, cannas. Did I say somethng about work. Then there are my pots of surfinias and calibrachoas, geraniums, begonias(if I can keep the wrens from making a nest in them again). Good thing I'm retired huh? I keep thinking I forgot something. I have many plants already in the ground waiting for their spring start. Someone start me. ;)

Athens, PA

TG -

Here is Hendryetta. She's growning on an obelisk. This year will be her third year, so I am expecting quite a show from her this year.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

TG-

This one is Durandi growing through a flowering almond. The thing I really like is the flowering almond puts on it's own show and the Durandi starts after the flowering almond is finished, so it really is an extended show.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.