My Mom's Norfolk Island pine is dying big time

Fort Payne, AL

My mom was given a 6' NI pine that had been grown successfully indoors in someone else's house from 3' tall. She's now had it about a month and it looks like it's on its last legs.

It's near a large window, is still sending up new shoots, but the current foliage is turning browner by the day. It's located in the (large) kitchen where a gas fireplace is in constant use. My theory is that the poor tree is drying out from lack of humidity, given that it's supposed to be in hawaii.

I suggested putting a vaporizor at its base. Any thoughts on this or other suggestions? It's so big it would be a shame to lose it at this stage.

Thanks,
Debi

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I actually doubt if that's the main problem--you said the last person was growing it indoors as well and most houses during the winter will have very low humidity so I would have expected it to be suffering there as well if it were a humidity issue. I would first of all check on the watering and make sure she's not giving it too much, and then I'd also check on temperatures/drafts in its current location. If it's too close to the fireplace that could cause a problem, or if it's in the path of a heating vent, or if it's getting a cold draft from a window, etc.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

It would be a shame to lose that one!

How far is it from the fireplace?

What type of lighting is it receiving? (Ü)

Fort Payne, AL

It would be a BIG shame to lose it, but it's really looking bad...pretty much all of the branches are brown.

It's at least 15 feet from the fireplace and is directly in front of a very large west facing window (like, 6 foot tall window), and it's also next to the back door where people come in and out all day - and it's been quite cold in Tennessee.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

You probably have forced air heating, and that lowers the humidity when the furnace runs a lot. I am in Texas where the winters are probably about the same as yours unless you are in the north part of AL. I've had good luck moving Norfolk Island Pines in and out of the garage all winter, and they have tolerated temps outside right down to 33 degrees. Although the light in the garage is not as good as in the house, the much higher humidity is to their liking, and they never have to stay in the garage more than a few days at a time anyway.
Assuming she has forced air, the air circulates so much the humidifier would likely do little good. You said the door is open a lot. That also would cause currents to move the vapor on its way away from the plant.
BTW, they do grow into large trees in Hawaii, but they actually did originate on an Island called Norfolk Island, in the South Pacific.

Fort Payne, AL

So are there any steps she can take to save the plant?

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

As you know, these have a Christmas tree shape. Any pruning ruins the shape, because wherever you make a cut, the new growth goes out parallel from the tree and not upward. If the branches that look brown are actually dead, then the shape of the tree is ruined, and even if she moved it to a location where it was happier (more humidity, better light, whatever it needs at this point) and the healthy part of the tree continued to grow, the dead part would never "catch up" which means the tree would always be misshapen. It's her decision as to how long to keep it, as long as it's alive. She might be happier to replace it with a small one and enjoy watching it grow and develop.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

But...if the top tier of branches and the terminal point are OK...you can prune off the dead growth at the bottom and still have a 'tree'.
My mother's same tree had the same problem...she was overwatering and the bottom of the tree was getting no light, whatsoever.

From what I've read and my own experience, too...this tree seems to need light from top to bottom....is your entire tree receiving light?

Mom trimmed off the lower branches, and though it doesn't have that pretty 'Christmas tree shape' referred to, it is still an attractive tree.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

enjoy

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Is the soil soaking wet? It is best to let it dry out some between watering.

I agree with DP - at a certain height it is probably best to chunk it and get a new one but that will eventually get too big too. If I ever get another one I think I would try to keep it bonsai'd to keep it on the small side.

They grow large in S. Florida (dominate other trees when it comes to height). It looks like they can be propagated by cuttings too.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/arau_het.cfm

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

When one that is being kept indoors gets too big, a lot of independent nurseries will gladly trade you for a smaller one. That way you both come out ahead. They can sell the bigger one for a good price. Pruning them just doesn't work. Once the top is cut out (or a branch is cut back) they grow crazily. You don't want to see what happens.

Anchorage, AK

Hi! I have a little 6" Norfolk in AK & I have very low humidity in my home. I am sure it's something else. I
did notice you mentioned it's by a door where it gets a cold draft. EEEEK! That could be a huge factor.
Mine is in bright indirect light and I keep it moderately moist, not wet. Have you pulled it up to check the roots & see if they are still healthy? Also, you might check and see if it's getting too dry between waterings. Is it staying lightly moist all the way down and on the edges? 6" pots can dry out quick.

I would say trim off the damage, move it out of direct light & away from the door & drafts & make sure your moisture is good. If you can find some plant food for transplants it might give it an extra boost (I am a fan of Superthrive and repeat it often, but it works) regular fertilizer is usually too strong for a sick plant.

Good luck! Hope it gets better!

Anchorage, AK

Also, you might check for spider mites. They love Norfolk Pines. If it has them you'll know! Tiny red buggers & possibly webbing depending how happy they are. :)

Fort Payne, AL

I'll have her check for spider mites. She reports, however, that the tree is now completely brown...like, if she WERE to cut off the damaged parts she would end up with a bare trunk. She says she's going to leave it alone until it's possible to stick it outside after frost and see if by some miracle it lives.

She is REALLY perplexed that it just 'up and died,' since it appeared healthy when she got it about six weeks ago, only watered it twice...I mean, it must have HATED its new environment. And it's not like she's a bad gardener...usually her plants thrive.

I'm thinking it must have been the cold drafts from the back door and huge window...you guys have been so great but I think it's really dead.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Get a new small one for a few bucks at most garden centers. Within a few years it will be over 6 foot and then you can repeat the process again. I may have to try it again just to see about propagating a tip cutting (lots of conifers are easy to propagate this way).

Anchorage, AK

Sorry about her tree :( Well even the best plant people with the greenest thumbs loose plants sometimes.
I think you are right about the draft. Most plants don't like cold drafts and even if they hang on for awhile they will eventually cave if it continues. Poor little thing! You'll have to play taps as you "place" it in the garbage can LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.