Will pre-emergent kill/stop fountain grass?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

My neighbors lawncare people just saturated my fountain grass out font on my property line I had it cut down for the new year & the guy said he thought it was a weed.
It is completely covered with that blue green stuff. I just planted these things last year & am going to be soooo mad if this stuff kills it. Sometimes I hate having neighbors! UGH!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's pre-emergent then it should be fine, the pre-emergent only stops seeds from germinating and won't effect plants. It probably wouldn't hurt to rinse the junk off of it though, having that stuff all over it certainly won't help it any.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

that's what I was thinking. I will wash off asap! thanks for your help.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

What fountain grass is it? Pennisetum or miscanthus?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ummm. I have no idea. I think I pitched the tags.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Any pictures? How tall do they get?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I remember the garden people saying they are about 4-5 feet tall and have plumes.
I planted them last fall so they don't look too hot. Here's a pic I took the other day for a different forum.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm, I really can't tell.

Pre emergent should not hurt it. Be sure to wash it off really well. The only way it should hurt it is if it smothers the crown. If it doesn't make it, let me know. Fountain grass is either pennisetum, or miscanthus. I have miscanthus I would be glad to send you a piece of to compensate for your loss, but I don't have pennisetum.

Here's a picture that shows my miscanthus, it's next to the trellis. Is that what you think yours looks like? It's early in the year, gets MUCH larger later one.

And here's a link to pennisetum.

http://www.bluestem.ca/pennisetum.htm

Thumbnail by pollyk
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I called the company today & they said they would replace it if it died.
I did wash it all off just in case.
Thanks for everyones help & advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.