Thumbnail by ellesgh

It's a draceana plant.

Humansville, MO

ok
how are you suppoes to care for it
does it go out side or is it a house plant
i alway had it in the house
elle

Indoor plant in the winter month's in your and my area. I keep mine indoor's year around in medium light and water them when the soil feel's dry a few inche's down.

If you want to put it outdoor's in your Summer month's , that would be fine but do not put them in direct sun all day long. They do well in Medium light.

Hope this help's.

Rachel

Anchorage, AK

Dracaena Marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree. :) Mine is inside as well.
RachelLF is correct. It looks like a small pot so depending on your light, in bright to medium light let it dry out about 1/4, in lower light about 1/2 way down. Keep an eye out for droopy leaves or yellow bottom leaves which means it needs more water (check the soil to be sure). They can also get spider mites so if your leaves start to look dull or spotty take a look. A mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and water 1 to 4 ratio approx. sprayed once a week for three weeks should get rid of them if they appear.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Mine got 5 feet tall and leggy so I cut it down a month ago. The cuttings that I tried to root in water did not take (rotted), the cuttings in soil are looking good. The plant is now putting out 3 - 5 buds per stalk and should look great in another month or so.

Do not over water this plant, but don't forget it either. I have mine under-planted with plain green spider plant so it sucks up the water pretty fast and I don't have the chance of over watering. It looks neat too and helps hide the straggly trunks.

Humansville, MO

hi all
ty for all the information
the big one got 3 arm or what you call them
can i cut and repot them
elle

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Yep, I like to fertilize the plant 2 weeks before I take cuttings. I want the stump and the cutting to want to grow :-) If you can, repot the "mother" plant two weeks before the cut, and then when you cut, you can put the cutting in with the Mother and make a nice full pot.
I hope someone that "knows" plants will pipe up and say if that is OK.

Humansville, MO

ty
the small one came from the mother one
it broke off
and i stuck it in drit
elle

elle, You seem to know what you are doing with your plant's ;-) The only extra "added" tip I can add is....you can alway's aid your cutting's in a root hormone before you stick them in a different pot of soil.

Rachel

Humansville, MO

hi all
ty
will send picture of plant in my house
elle

Anchorage, AK

Juneybug what a great idea! I tend to keep my plants by themselves & forget how great they could look together. :) Do you have a picture of your combo?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'll try to take one - beware: I shake! and my eyes are not good so it is all out of focus!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, here goes 'nuttin:

Hmmm, try again

This message was edited Feb 20, 2009 1:22 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Those are the combo's that I have left. I've been giving them away in preparation for a move. One that i loved was parlor palm with arrowhead vine. I had to take cuttings from the vine a lot during the summer, but it looked so lush and tropical with that combo. I also used to have a ti (red and green ones) under-planted with aloe vera. A "kitchen needs" plant - the ti as a aluminum foil/wrapper for foods and the aloe for our burns.

OH MY! Those are all just gorgeous and I love your pot's as well.

The ti plant's as aluminum foil?

lovely picture's and wished I lived closer being your giving away such healthy/ beautiful plant's;-)

Rachel

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

My Dad taught me that one. The ti plant doesn't seem to give a flavor, it helps keep things moist and steamy even when on the grill or in the campfire coals. We use it in the oven and the microwave.

Thank's for the tip's.

I had a spider plant in with a red ti for year's but seperated them due to the spider just got so huge and stayed too full of babie's. A few month's later my Ti bloomed for me. I was so thrilled.

Anchorage, AK

I love Ti plants. I don't have one right now but I have used them for cooking fish & chicken. Yum! I'd like to try it with banana leaves also but haven't done it yet. Beautiful combo planters! Thank you for sharing your pics. :)

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

They are real good with pork too.

I think my best looking outside planters held red salvia (or in others; red leaved "sun" begonia) with tall white-leaved what-cha-ma-call-it in the center and purple petunia hanging down the sides. Of course I love red/white/blue anyway, but the petunia smells so great that I have to put it in my big pots. These pots are taller than my knees and at least 2 1/2 feet across. If they weren't so big, the plants would suffer from drying out everyday.

Anchorage, AK

Is the white plant Artemisia? I love Pineapple sage for red. Not sure if you are into edible flowers but the leaves and flowers are good. I've also done blue Lobelia, white petunias and red Cannas. You are right, any combo of red white and blue flowers looks good! :) And yes...big pots! LOL

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes! I blanked on the name.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow...this has turned out to be a very interesting thread!

Beautiful plants Juneybug.....and a beautiful area to grow them in and relax with them! (And your photos were great, btw...you 'done good'!)

Now tell me more about cooking w/Ti leaves, you two? (Ü)

I have heard of using Banana leaves (and they're certainly large enough) but Ti leaves?
Isn't it necessary to use several for your 'wrapping'?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes, I use more than one leaf. DH loves to barbeque and I can't stand my skinless and sauce-less chicken breast when it comes off of the grill all dry... I wrap it in one direction with 2 leaves and one or 2 more in the other direction to seal it in. It steams the spices into the meat and tastes great (really great for diet food!!!) We buy it too. The Philippine grocery store has it, and the Korean grocer *sometimes* has it. We use one leaf with spiced lean hamburger rolled up in it for individual servings-this is done on a jelly roll pan in the oven. The Filipino restaurant has a mix of veggies that they cook the same way. I don't like to order it since I always make a mess unwrapping it to eat and I would be eating cold food when I get back from washing up...but it tastes good. We have never had much luck with banana trees except for the 3 years that we lived in Hawaii. I may try the dwarf ones some year. It is nice to know how to grow your own "not aluminum foil". ;-)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Very interesting....thanks for the info.

But about your Ti plants.....don't they appear quite 'bare' when using the leaves all the time...or do you continually cut them back or do you simply grow them for this purpose?

Thanks too, for tolerating my questions!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I had lots of other plants cramed in the pots and if they got too tall I just cut them down. They are very forgiving plants, as long as the soil is on the light side - they rot easy in heavy, water retaining soil...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.