Restless natives of the Top End

noonamah, Australia

This relates to Photo 100 above (Scaevola angulata), and also indirectly to Photo 110. These are the upper leaves, quite small.

Photo 113

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
noonamah, Australia

Another one relating to Photo 100 and Photo 113 above (Scaevola angulata), and also indirectly to Photo 110. This shows the leaves lower down the shrub, with a hand for perspective..

Photo 114

noonamah, Australia

With my up coming trek in Papua New Guinea I finally bought a new camera so I can improve my photography. The old camera just didn't have the capabilities I want. Anyway, with the amount of money I've been spending in relation to this trip I've certainly given the world economy a real boost. So this weekend I managed to fit in some time to hone my skills with the new camera. The following photos, on the same theme, are from the new camera.

We've moved into the transition period between the wet and dry seasons which means high temperatures and high humidity, plus plenty of sunshine. This brings on a mass flowering of small plants taking advantage of soil moisture and the sun.

The first is very common now at my place, especially amongst grasses where there's minimal canopy.

Photo 115

noonamah, Australia

This one grows in similar conditions to the last one, often seen together. (I need to work on exposure with pale or white coloured objects in macro.)

Photo 116

noonamah, Australia

These grow sturdy on taller stems and are also quite common in areas exposed to full sun.

Photo 117

noonamah, Australia

An upside down pea flower, it always grows this way. The fine vine and leaflets are very hard to see amongst grass.

Photo 118

noonamah, Australia

very easily overlooked but close up this flower is quite interesting. It's in the same habitat as the others.

Photo 119

noonamah, Australia

Another small but interesting flower. Not so common and seems to keep to the wetter ground.

Photo 120

noonamah, Australia

Now some more Goodenias. The NT plant checklist has 80 species and subspecies for the Northern Territory, which doesn't surprise me from the different ones just on my place. There's already some above - Photos 056, 057, 058, 096, 107.

This one grows in very wet ground, often together with the one in Photo 058.

Photo 121

noonamah, Australia

Another one which likes soggy ground and can be seen with the other two (at my place, at least).

Photo 122

noonamah, Australia

This one seems to like damp but not soggy ground. Has a much finer stem and leaves than the others.

Photo 123

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I had no idea the NT had so many wildflowers. I always associate them with WA but I guess you're only a hop, skip and a jump away.
So what sort of camera did your stimulus package bring :) Ann

noonamah, Australia

Ann, it's more a matter of keeping the eyes open for them. The two main wildflower areas in Australia are firstly the southwest of WA and secondly the Hawkesbury Sandstone area in NSW between roughly Newcastle and Nowra. Wildflowers are also very prolific in the central desert areas after rains. All these usually have low fertility soils with minimal canopy over ground-level plants.

My area (which is about 4,000kms away from the WA areas) has sandstone plateaus, floodplains and margins of floodplains with reduced canopy. That's what promotes a lot of wildflowers, but not to the extent of southwest WA and the Hawkesbury. But you'll find similar to what's in our area running from the Kimberley in WA, through the Top End NT, as well as northwestern Qld and even up into Cape York Peninsula (Laura area). Some of our plants are shared right across this vast area, and some are more restricted in distribution.

Santa Rudd hasn't brought me my stimulus package yet but that hasn't stopped me splurging in advance. Got a Canon 450D SLR. I wanted to have it for my PNG trek.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I didn't know that about the Hawkesbury. The hubby went to Uni there.
I must confess though I'm more of a jungle gal.
You aren't the only one spending in advance:). I heard about someone who booked a holiday in our area and had to ask her friend to send her fuel $$$ as her $$ hadn't arrived.
I hope your camera brings you big joy and great photos. PNG should be very exciting. Wishing you good vibes and low humidity while you're changing lenses :) Ann

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Naturally, I am late to the party! Such a wonderful tour! Beautiful pictures of beautiful plants. I am particularly enthralled by the ground orchids and those wonderful hibiscus...just lovely!

Thank you so much for giving this marvelous tour of Top End.

Yokwe,
Shari

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.